I-league news

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29618 Points

Foothold removed: Story of I-League clubs--II

Fight or give up?

When the I-League does get downgraded — at this point, the question really is when and not if — what happens then? How do the clubs react to it?

A bunch of clubs have already reacted to the changing of winds, over the past five years. In 2015, Pune FC, one of the better-run I-League clubs at that point, ceased operations. A year later, Dempo SC — five-time national champions — announced their withdrawal to the Goan leagues. Shillong Lajong too looks to be going down that path after fielding a fully local side in the I-League last season and finishing even below the AIFF’s developmental team Indian Arrows.

There have been reports that the big two — East Bengal and Mohun Bagan — have held talks to see if they can jump ship to the ISL, much like Bengaluru did a couple of years ago. The rest, though, seems destined to languish in whatever the I-League is reduced to, till the men pumping in money run out of it.
    Unless of course, they find a sustainable financial model. Without significant television revenue or sponsorship, it would seem that a model where they minimise costs and find income from developing and selling players would be the way forward. That, though, is easier said than done.

“It is a model but we don’t know yet if it is sustainable,” says Rohit, who brings up how well this league would be telecast as the main impediment in such a scenario. “Without proper telecast, how can there be a proper valuation for my players? When somebody wants one of my players now, we arrive at a price based on how the player performed last season, that everyone saw on TV. If it’s not being telecast properly, then the valuation of the player will fall naturally.”

It is a problem that irks Praveen as well. “When the telecast rights of the league are with an entity that owns another league, we can understand how much interest they have in promoting I-League,” he says.
    He, though, maintains that, even if the outcome is adverse, their fight would last long beyond the Tuesday meeting. “We will fight for our rights till the end,” he says. “Even if AIFF or AFC says they will make I-League the second league, we will fight. We want to fight because justice is with us. Several I-League clubs have closed because of this.

“If the AIFF does not show any value to the I-League and the clubs, then what will be the situation of the second division clubs in the country? There are several football players who are playing in non-ISL clubs. What will happen to them? They were not even able to have live streaming for the second division (last year). Where are they heading to?”

There are other questions too that need to be thought about. If the I-League dies, where will the players come from? The number of players who’ve secured ISL contracts on the back of their I-League displays over the last few years are numerous — Jobby Justin, Nandha Kumar, Michael Soosairaj — are but a few examples. In the event this system breaks down, can Indian football afford to wait it out, till a replacement is put in place?
    The answers to those questions may have to be found out the hard way.

If the I-League does lose its top-flight status, this will be the first time in 23 years, since  the first season of the National Football League was played out, that India’s top-flight will have neither promotion or relegation.

Last year’s I-League season was played out across ten different states, making it the most extensive edition of the tournament since its inception in 2007.

ashindia
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29237 Points
    Khori Arcade is new shirt sponsor of NEROCA, its a hong Kong based Gaming company.
    munna219777
  • haritrams24haritrams24 kerala1990 Points
    Gokulam Kerala replaced Dhaka abahoni in SK.kamal  gold cup 2019. 
    munna219777PassiNagendraRonnykartik91
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29618 Points

AIFF LEAGUE COMMITTEE MEETS IN NEW DELHI

Mr. Subrata Dutta, Senior Vice President, All India Football Federation and Chairman, League Committee chaired AIFF League Committee Meeting at the AIFF Football House in New Delhi today (October 25, 2019). Mr. Kushal Das, General Secretary, AIFF along with Mr. Sunando Dhar, CEO, I-League were present besides League committee members Mr. Souter Vaz, Mr. Anil Kumar and Mr. Chirag Tanna. Mr. Isac Doru, Technical Director, AIFF was also present. 

Hero I-League 2019-20 will commence on November 30, 2019 and the official broadcaster will be confirmed within a week. 

A maximum of three foreign players can be replaced by a club during the entire course of Hero I-League 2019-20. Maximum of eight officials will be allowed to sit on the bench during a match. 

After the meeting between AIFF secretariat and Hero I-League clubs, the U-22 player quota rule will be decided. 

The committee reviewed submissions made by the state associations and after several deliberations, the committee has approved ten clubs who'll undergo the Second Division League club licensing process. 

Bhawanipore FC

Mohammedan SC

Lonestar Kashmir FC

ARA FC

NGR Football Club Jammu

Kickstart FC Karnataka

FC Bengaluru United

FC Kerala

Garhwal FC

AU Rajasthan FC 

Reserve teams of ATK, Jamshedpur FC, Bengaluru FC, Chennaiyin FC, FC Goa, Kerala Blasters FC, Mumbai City FC, Hyderabad FC, Punjab FC alongside a developmental team of AIFF will also participate in the Hero Second Division League 2019-20. 

The committee was apprised of the development of Hero Indian Women’s League, Khelo India Girls Football League (U17) and Golden Baby League.

• samsam 16428 Points
    Nestle IL will be on D Sports for next 2 seasons
    giridharanCarbon_14haritrams24goalkeeparindianFootballFan[Deleted User]kartik91munna219777
  • DEFENCE123DEFENCE123 India657 Points
    edited October 2019
    This is the first time 2nd division league will be broadcasted in India
    samRonnyharitrams24goalkeeparkartik91hadfadkarmunna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29237 Points
    What is Punjab FC? 
    indian_gooner