Food : what you are eating

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9956 Points
    How are the Irani restaurants in Mum are doing? I heard most of them have closed?
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29620 Points
    http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/10/12/the-tale-of-mumbais-irani-cafes/
    A nice write-up about Mumbai's Iranian cafes. They are down (hugely reduced in number) but not out.
    Here is a funny poem written by Nissim Ezekiel based on the quirky instructions found in Iranian cafes:

IRANI RESTAURANT INSTRUCTIONS

Please
    Do not spit
    Do not sit more
    Pay promptly, time is valuable
    Do not write letter
    without order refreshment
    Do not comb,
    hair is spoiling floor
    Do not make mischiefs in cabin
    our waiter is reporting
    Come again
    All are welcome whatever cast
    If not satisfied tell us
    otherwise tell others
    GOD IS GREAT

------ Nissim Ezekiel, 1972
    Deb_Bandeepakcsamiammunna219777spartashakkeerKM
    He wrote the poem based on instruction boards found in his favourite Irani café; the now defunct Bastani and Company, in Dhobi Talao, in Mumbai. “No talking to cashier/No smoking/ No fighting/ No credit/ No outside food/ No sitting long/ No talking loud/ No spitting/ No bargaining/ No water to outsiders/ No change/ No telephone/ No match sticks/ No discussing gambling/ No newspaper/ No combing/ No beef/ No leg on chair/ No hard liquor allowed/ No address enquiry/ — By order.”-Wikipedia :#
    munna219777deepakc
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Drinking a lot of Kvass and borsch at the moment. Google them up, Russian summer drink and soup respectively.
    munna219777deepakcsparta
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited May 2016
    So you are now in Москва? Left Thailand?

Try зеленая марка Vodka. It translates to Green Mark I think.
    Russian Standard is also there.

footydipsparta
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    @munna219777 you are living wikipedia of IFN. Hats off man!!
    munna219777Deb_Bangoalkeeparfootydipkartik91samiam
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    @munna I am not a vodka fan. Yes, will be in Russia for a couple of months before heading somewhere else. 
    munna219777
    Presenting one of India's most popular street-food, the pani puri, known as golgappa in North India and phuchka in Eastern India.  It consists of a round, hollow puri, fried crisp and filled with a mixture of flavored water (pani), tamarind chutney, chilli,chaat masala, potato, onion and chickpeas (wikipedia).

Here's the recipe:http://foodviva.com/snacks-recipes/pani-puri/
    I personally favour the dahi puri (served with yoghurt-recipe: http://foodviva.com/snacks-recipes/dahi-puri/

Point to be noted: Indian girls absolutely swear by it, so if you want to find a way through a Indian woman's heart, then....
    Statutory Warning: The tamarind chutney might not suit some people, so if you often suffer from stomach bugs, stay off it!
    kartik91munna219777footydipreddevil87deepakc
    OK, I may get a lot of flak for this but this a thread for mentioning your favorite foods and this is one of my favorites, a fruit, detested by many but one which I love to bits, The Jack fruit (Ripe). People usually favour the raw jack fruit, and most of the people I have met heartily detest the ripe one because of its strong flavour but to me no other fruit comes close to this one. This is it:
    jackfruit
    It can also be used to make certain sweet dishes like jacjfruit dessert, sweet fritters with ripe jackfruit etc.
    Here are the recipes: http://www.mytaste.in/s/ripe-jackfruit.html
    Delicious Sweet DessertRipe Jackfruit Malpua  Kathaler MalpuaSweet Fritters with ripe Jackfruit  Kathaler Mishti Pakora

And remember, how much you dislike the fruit, it was responsible for the introduction of toilets in Indian trains.

Here's how:  (http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/10/my-belly-is-too-much-swelling-with.html):
    In 1909, after missing his train due to an ultimately disastrous trip to the lavatory at Ahmedpur station, an embarrassed, angry young man named Okhil Chandra Sen sent an unintentionally amusing letter of complaint to theSahibganj divisional railway office in West Bengal. The letter proved to be an important one as, according to the Railway Museum in New Delhi, the subsequent investigation into the affair by the British Raj resulted in the introduction of toilets to all trains in the country; something that had been absent since the formation of Indian Railways in 1857. 

The original letter is held in the museum's archives. Below is the version they have on display.
     Image kindly supplied by Richard Fellowes. 

reddevil87munna219777samiamkartik91namewtheldkarenesudhakar2050