2015-16 I-League Round 2: The New Boys of Pune

Welcome to round two of the I-League! The first round had a lot to talk about, from the shoddy presentation, to the fantastic starts for the Kolkata clubs, the league began well and that can only be good for India's domestic league.

After Round 1 it will be East Bengal and Mohun Bagan who find themselves on top of the table, both teams achieving victories over Sporting Clube de Goa and I-League debutants, Aizawl, respectively. Bengaluru FC end the week in the third after a 2-1 victory away from home against Salgaocar while Mumbai and Shillong Lajong finished all square at the Nehru Stadium.

This round will see the introduction of the new direct-entry side, DSK Shivajians. The new side from Pune will open their I-League accounts on Sunday but before then Saturday will see the 2nd Division champions, Aizawl, take on Bengaluru FC in their first home I-League match ever. The season did not begin well for the Mizo side as they took on the reigning I-League champions Mohun Bagan and could not keep up as they conceded three times to lose 3-1. Bengaluru FC however began well, defeating Salgaocar 2-1 at the Fatorda Stadium. Ashley Westwood's men will find themselves as the favorites here but no one has yet to play away in Aizawl so the conditions will be new.

Saturday will conclude with Mohun Bagan hosting Salgaocar. Results already described above in what can be said to be a reverse fixture change here. Bagan will want to extend their lead at the top of the table early but Malky Thomson's men will look to pick up their first points of the season.

Sunday will Sporting Goa play host to DSK Shivajians at the Fatorda Stadium. DSK come in as a mysterious team under Derrick Periera while Sporting Goa will try to avenge for last rounds blunder against East Bengal. Mumbai will conclude the round, hosting East Bengal at the Cooperage Ground. Despite drawing away to Shillong Lajong and facing an East Bengal side that won their opening match away, Mumbai will bank of the home advantage to hopefully grab their first three points of the season. East Bengal though will try and build on their impressive opening week victory over Sporting Goa and make it 2 wins from 2. They recently strengthened the backline with French defender Bernard Mendy so Mumbai will perhaps have a job on their hands come Sunday.

Matches:
16 January 2016:
- Aizawl vs. Bengaluru FC (Rajiv Gandhi Stadium).
- Mohun Bagan vs. Salgaocar (Barasat Stadium).

17 January 2016:
- Sporting Goa vs. DSK Shivajians (Fatorda Stadium).
- Mumbai vs. East Bengal (Cooperage Ground).

Bye: Shillong Lajong.
munna219777kartik91Deb_Bandeepakcreddevil87NagendranamewtheldsanvedjadhavDXBabertoand 6 others.

Comments