I-League Round 22

Comments

• sabirsabir 46 Points
    Sunday's match Dempo vs MB will be very crucial for the fate of I league. Dempo is left to play all tough opponents. Hope MB will defeat Dempo and make it easier for EB. :-*
  • projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited March 2012
    East Bengal vs Mumbai FC, a brief analysis

POSITIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    1. Haroon Fakhruddin, had a gem of a second half, bottled up Tolgay for good, God knows why Khalid did not think of this in the first half, will talk about Khalid's deficiencies in the negatives
    2. Nicolau Rodrigues, scored the best goal of the game, in my opinion. Very few Indian strikers (yes the manandeeps and the robins and the sunils ) would be able to shoot on target if they had a couple defenders rushing towards them. Granted that he picked up on a stray ball, Gurwinder who is a pretty big guy was rushing towards him and Khabra slid into him but he still managed to bulge the net, such accuracy rare in Indian football, therefore hats off from me.
    EAST BENGAL
    1. ROBIN SINGH in spite of some of his herogiri antics
    2. HARMANJOT KHABRA put on a lot of miles today
    3. SANDEEP NANDY reminded of his heydays once again, second good game in a row for him after the Salgaocar game
    4. Combined well after being stung by that early goal in the first half

NEGATIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    1. KHALID JAMIL I think I have given him enough time, been observing him for almost three years now. I strongly feel he doesn't make the best use of the resources at his disposal which someone like Santosh Kashyap or Bimal Ghosh does for a office club like Air India. I don't think he realizes Fakhruddin's potential at all, other wise why would he use him only to defend, that too as a man marker. I have talked about Fakruddin before in this forum and I strongly feel he was the best player in the SAFF games. For the game to develop in this country, we need folks to judge a player multi dimensionally as opposed to boiling a player down to the number of goals he scored or the no of assists he did, no wonder why Sunil is THE hero for rest of India fans but the biggest villain in Calcutta. Players like a Fakhruddin or a Gawli needs to be given way much more credit given their multiple capabilities and the different hats they can wear in a game.
    Coming back to Khalid, I list his deficiencies below.
    a. POOR judge of player capabilities and potential. Ex players from Calcutta or from South India are very good at this.
    b. Inability to develop good combination play like a foreign coach namely TJM or Karim
    c. Very poor match reading, a BIG ZERO, he comes into a game with a set strategy, even if that works out very well for him in the first 10 minutes, he never changes his strategy depending up on the strategy changes of the opponent. For e.g. it's natural that EB would come all guns blazing after conceding an early goal, therefore shouldn't he have a strategy in place to thwart their epicenters of offence, namely Tolgay, Robin, Penn. He did nothing of that today in the first half after taking that early lead. He did manage to do that in the second half but wasn't it too late by then ? For a team like his with limited resources at his disposal, such delay in taking timely decisions can prove fatal.
    d. I don't think he had a good measure of EB's strategies in the first place. TJM's strategy at least in the first half is pretty set and coaches like Subrata and Karim have used that to their advantage. Khalid neither learnt from the strategies of these coaches, nor did he make a note of TJM's strategy himself. Given his poor match reading skills, it's too much to expect that he will come up with a counter strategy then and there. Mumbai was very fortunate to have gotten that early lead and had Khalid jammed up the midfield and put big bodies after Tolgay, instructed Dhana to disturb Robin so that he looses his focus from the game which is not a very difficult thing to do anyways given Robin's immaturity, there's no way EB could have come back into the game.
    e. Poor use of the flanks, he had Nicolau and Fakhruddin who are great at attacking through the flanks, not even once did he instruct them to run down the flanks so that EB's defence was stretched creating holes in the middle for Sukore or Friday to exploit. Left back Saumik would have been a sitting duck had Fakhruddin started running down the right flank. Saumik would have been no match for Haroon's speed and accurate crosses. I was very very surprised that the main weakness of EB defence their left flank, remained totally unexploited in spite of having the best SAFF level wing back/half at his disposal. Fakruddin is a player in the mould of a Nabi but much more skillful than Nabi.

2. PASSING IN THE PENETRATION ZONE even when their midfield led by Sukore created immense pressue on KEB defence which was stretched to its limits
    EAST BENGAL
    1. BALJIT SINGH SAINI
    2. Opara's gift of a goal, had not the ball ricocheted off Opara from that long Dhanachandra throw, there was no way that ball would have run loose.
    3. Saumik De on the left has issues with pacy or strongly built forwards

This is skeletal, I gotta run now, will add more meat to the points later.
  • He who lets Edmilson score is truly shit.
  • projenator wrote:

POSITIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    1. Haroon Fakhruddin, had a gem of a second half, bottled up Tolgay for good, God knows why Khalid did not think of this in the first half, will talk about Khalid's deficiencies in the negatives
    2. Nicolau Rodrigues, scored the best goal of the game, in my opinion. Very few Indian strikers (yes the manandeeps and the robins and the sunils ) would be able to shoot on target if they had a couple defenders rushing towards them. Granted that he picked up on a stray ball, Gurwinder who is a pretty big guy was rushing towards him and Khabra slid into him but he still managed to bulge the net, such accuracy rare in Indian football, therefore hats off from me.
    EAST BENGAL
    3. SANDEEP NANDY reminded of his heydays once again, second good game in a row for him after the Salgaocar game

NEGATIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    1. KHALID JAMIL
    2. PASSING IN THE PENETRATION ZONE even when their midfield led by Sukore created immense pressue on KEB defence which was stretched to its limits
    EAST BENGAL
    1. BALJIT SINGH SAINI
    2. Opara's gift of a goal, had not the ball ricocheted off Opara from that long Dhanachandra throw, there was no way that ball would have run loose.

Best analysis ever. Better than goal.coms description which will probably be "East Bengal won today. It was 3-1. Jamil is a racist. Morgan should be India coach. [Insert Bullshit]. East Bengal will win it all"

And then in the comments section you will have people be like: YA BENGAL! TAKE THE I-LEAGUE AWAY FROM THOSE GOAN BASTARDS!

and

"Come on Goa, succeed from India and make your own country"
  • arsenalfan wrote:
    He who lets Edmilson score is truly shit.

That was an opportunistic strike from Edmilson. I will give him credit for following up on Robin's backheader and a lot of credit to Robin for that backhead, no wonder I have him high up on my list for today. It's a very interesting set piece formation which TJM has contributed to KEB, happens only when Mehtab takes the corner kicks. Mehtab will let a low flying corner, just about Robin's height which Robin will smother with the back of the top of his head for either Tolgay or Harmanjot to finish off. Tolgay usually waits at the second post while Harmanjot rushes in just about diagonally from the near corner of the box.

I really like these little combinations which TJM has trained KEB to implement, catches the opponent by surprise.
  • projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited March 2012
    arsenalfan wrote:
    projenator wrote:

POSITIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    EAST BENGAL

NEGATIVES
    MUMBAI FC
    1. KHALID JAMIL
    EAST BENGAL
    1. BALJIT SINGH SAINI

Best analysis ever. Better than goal.coms description which will probably be "East Bengal won today. It was 3-1. Jamil is a racist. Morgan should be India coach. [Insert Bullshit]. East Bengal will win it all"

And then in the comments section you will have people be like: YA BENGAL! TAKE THE I-LEAGUE AWAY FROM THOSE GOAN BASTARDS!

and

"Come on Goa, succeed from India and make your own country"

Thanks arsenalfan, I have been offered to write analysis on several websites whose editors were pretty impressed by my analysis of I league games on facebook groups but unfortunately most want me to write for international football since there's a huge demand for it. While I do watch international games but not with as much passion as I follow the sport at the national level, hence it's more fun and rewarding for me to analyse at the national level, which I feel will create better awareness about upcoming talent in the country, thus contributing to the development of the sport in India.
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    proj
    i think there i someone called supermessi looking for freelancers
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    @projenator IFN has a blog called Indian Football Blog. Its only for Indian Football. Many from this forum write there. You can start publishing your analysis there. Check PM
  • updated my KEB vs Mumbai FC post match analysis, just the Khalid Jamil point, yet to write on the good work put in by Robin today, it's important to highlight when he has a good game given that such instances were rare this season
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    projenator wrote:
    updated my KEB vs Mumbai FC post match analysis, just the Khalid Jamil point, yet to write on the good work put in by Robin today, it's important to highlight when he has a good game given that such instances were rare this season

Robin had a good start this season; scored in the Fed Cup but probably his groin injury hampered his form later. Now he looks sharp since the IFA Shield (especially the SLFC match). If I am not wrong it was his 12th or 13th I -league match this season. Though he scored only 3 , he had contributions in many for his team mates. His right foot is his negetive point. If he works on it, we will get what we are looking for national team.