Commonwealth Games 2018 : Mission Gold at Gold Coast

munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
edited March 2018 in Chill Out
2018 Commonwealth Games will be held at Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia between 4 and 15 April 2018. India will be participating in 15 out of 18 events. 71 nations are expected to participate in this mega event.

Gold Coast summer Burleigh Heads Beachjpg

Borobi, the Mascot.

India will be participating in following events :

Athletics
Badminton
Basketball
Boxing
Cycling
Gymnastics
Hockey
Lawn Bowls
Shooting
Squash
Swimming
Table Tennis
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Traditionally India gets lot of medals at Commonwealth Games in Wrestling, Weightlifting, Shooting. We are expected to win many medals in Badminton too. Medal chances are there in other events also.

sanvedjadhavgoalkeeparBrainFallINDIANagendrashibierdeepak dedhaCarbon_14Badspartakartik91

Comments

• goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    Why there is no football in Commonwealth?
    munna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    And telecast on which channel in india? 
    munna219777
  • samsam 16425 Points
    Before that you should ask why there's no cricket in cwg  :D
    goalkeeparBrainFallINDIAmunna219777Carbon_14
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited March 2018
    Actually Cricket was there in 1998 Commonwealth Games. Australia under Steve Waugh participated with full vigour and they stayed at the Games village with other athletes. Indian Cricketers made lot of fuss, lost early and left quickly.

One reason given was that Cricket and Olympic Sports Doping tests were different, atleast in the olden days. A  Cricketer might have taken a Cough Syrup containing a substance banned under IOA but okay for Cricket as it is not Olympics sport. Any such anomaly exposed might have been a disaster for the image, branding and sponsorship for the cricketer. Thats why many Golf players are making excuses for Olympics,their sponsors just dont want to take any risk.

Other reason given was that BCCI sells exclusive rights for Cricket. In Commonwealth Games, they will be seen on different TV channels not in deal with BCCI, different logos and corporate sponsorships.

About Football, well nobody is interested it seems. U-23 in Olympics is not a very popular event either in terms of TV viewerships. Will clubs release player for such a long period ??? It is a World Cup year too.
    I think Sony Ten Group should show it.
    atuljggoalkeeparsanvedjadhav
  • samsam 16425 Points
    I knew one Commonwealth games had cricket. Asian games too has these days. Bcci as usual is a roadblock there too
    munna219777
  • indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    ASian Games had cricket in last two Asian Games, Guangzhou 2010 and Incheon 2014.
    munna219777
  • indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    The Games wi be on DD sports/ National 
    Carbon_14
  • samsam 16425 Points

Cricket removed from 2018 Asian Games programme

This measure was taken as a part of the series of changes aimed at reducing the total number of events contested from 493 to 431

munna219777deepusparta
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Munna,hit the nail on the head.We need to top the Shooting,Wrestling and Weightlifting Sports comprehensively if we are to finish in Top 3 in overall Medals Tally.

Along with these 3 Sports,i feel this time around we can also Top the Badminton Sport as a whole as well(Including all categories).

Surprise Packages:-

Also,I feel we can give a good account of ourselves in Boxing as well.However,i am not sure that we will be able to top it.However,More than one Gold should be expected for sure.

Table Tennis is another Sports where i feel we can do something.Our Men"s Team specifically is Good.So,i am expecting Good amount of Medals in Table Tennis as well specially the Men"s Team.More than one Gold Medal is a possibility for sure.

Another Sport where we have improved significantly, which many people wouldn"t know is Track Cycling.I am not saying that we will win many medals because Track Cycling in Commonwealth is very Strong(Olympics Level-England,Australia,Newzeland are World Power Houses).The reason why i am highlighting this Sport is that we don"t have a strong Pedigree in this Sport traditionally, but i believe that don"t be surprise if we can muster a couple of decent of performances(unexpectedly) in this Event. Again, i am not saying that we will win many medals but what i saying is that i feel, that this time around we can certainly make our presence felt in this Sport just like we did in Gymnastics ,Swimming etc previously.Watch out for Deborah Harold in Track Cycling.She will be our Best Bet i feel.

Carbon_14kartik91
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Hockey Team for 2018 Commonwealth Games has been Announced:

Squad:

Goalkeepers

1. Sreejesh Parattu Raveendran

2. Suraj Karkera

Defenders

3. Rupinder Pal Singh

4. Harmanpreet Singh

5. Varun Kumar

6. Kothajit Singh Kadangbam

7. Gurinder Singh

8. Amit Rohidas

Midfielders

9. Manpreet Singh(C)

10. Chinglensana Singh Kangujam (VC)

11. Sumit

12. Vivek Sagar Prasad

Forwards

13. Akashdeep Singh

14. Sunil Sowmarpet Vitalacharya

15. Gurjant Singh

16. Mandeep Singh

17. Lalit Kumar Upadhyay

18. Dilpreet Singh

Analysis:-

The team is not the Best which we could have picked.Infact,there are quite a few notable absentees from the squad and some really bad young players have been chosen which clearly leaves a lot to be desired.

Goalkeepers:Are okay.No Complaints.

Defence:- Gurinder Singh is an obvious Surprise Inclusion for me.He is a bad player.Possibly some God father is present who has supported him.Pradeep Mor,Dipsan Tirkey and for that matter even Surender all are better than him.Rest of the selections are okay.

Midfield:-I am not surprised at Sardara"s exclusion.I had even stated it.However, Sumit is really bad .  Harjeet,Uthappa are better than him.After investing 3 years in Harjeet,they have not picked him.Uthappa i feel got injured in Azlan Shah so that was perhaps a forced  exclusion.Vivek Sagar Prasad has been selected.This guy has just played one Tournament and is very very young.I have not seen him play.I don"t know,if they wanted to select him,then they shoulve played him in the Azlan Shah Tournament as well.I don"t know the thinking behind this.

Forwards:-Nikkin,Ramandeep,Sumit Kumar have not been inluded.Instead,Dilpreet Singh has been Included.I have never seen Dilpreet Play,he has played just one Tournament.Ramandeep on the other hand,(The best Indian player in Azlan Shah,one of the most consistent players for India has been dropped and instead an 18 year old player (Dilpreet Singh has been included) who has played just one Tournament.Just wow!!!!!

All these three players Nikkin,Ramandeep,Sumit Kumar(Junior one) are better than every forward who has been selected except for Akashdeep.So,after Akashdeep , these three should have been selected.So,i am specially very disappointed with the selection of the Forwards.

Regarding the Tournament:-I feel,this Indian Team should be able to beat most of the teams.I feel our main challenge would come against England and Australia.We should be able to beat all the other teams for sure.

This Indian Team can also beat England and Australia as well,since our C team gave a good account of themselves against Australia and England in Azlan Shah and this Indian team is certainly better than that Azlan Shah team.So,we can still beat England and Australia but the reason why i am not happy is that this is not the best team which we could"ve selected. 

Let"s see what happens.

deepumunna219777DX