124»

Comments

• continuing with the suggestioin.
    WAFF - 4 grp winners
    CAFA+SAFF - 4 grp winners
    EAFF- 3 grp winners
    ASEAN- 4 grp winners

+ 1 best 2nd placed team amongst all groups
    So totally we have 16 teams now which is perfect for a knockout round. All the knockout rounds upto the final will be a 2 legged affair.
    ArsenalFan700
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3394 Points
    ok. time to put another thoughts based on current asian cup thread . :#
    from 2026 we are going to have 48 teams WC. so simlarly i think we should also increase the Asian Cup to 32 teams.

Pros
    1) Well it will generate more revenue with more number of teams.
    2) Easy knockout rule. just like WC format now. no best place third team blah blah.
    3) Chance for nations like Bhutan, Nepal, Maldives,Bangladsh to make it to a competivite tournament.
    4) the smaller nations will give it all to qulaify since they think they are close to make it as 32 of 46 teams will go to final rounds.

Cons
    1) increased expenditure on host countries ( so joint bid must be promoted)
    2) qualify of the game may suffer (yes, for sure. but who cares. as far my country is in the tournament, i am happy. And this Asian cup is watched by Asians only. We can't comptete with UEFA, Conembol, Afcon even for that matter)
    ashindia
    now even UEFA is alo thinkng of  exapnding the euros

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10591685/UEFA-plan-EXPAND-Euros-32-TEAM-tournament-2028.html

since we have 2027 edition coming after 2023 we should implement it because people will say "oh., we are copying UEFA".
  • ashindiaashindia 9248 Points
    ok. time to put another thoughts based on current asian cup thread . :#
    from 2026 we are going to have 48 teams WC. so simlarly i think we should also increase the Asian Cup to 32 teams.

Pros
    1) Well it will generate more revenue with more number of teams.
    2) Easy knockout rule. just like WC format now. no best place third team blah blah.
    3) Chance for nations like Bhutan, Nepal, Maldives,Bangladsh to make it to a competivite tournament.
    4) the smaller nations will give it all to qulaify since they think they are close to make it as 32 of 46 teams will go to final rounds.

Cons
    1) increased expenditure on host countries ( so joint bid must be promoted)
    2) qualify of the game may suffer (yes, for sure. but who cares. as far my country is in the tournament, i am happy. And this Asian cup is watched by Asians only. We can't comptete with UEFA, Conembol, Afcon even for that matter)
    32 Teams in Asia Cup seriously ? Just dont play qualifiers then 
    goalkeeparmunna219777giridharan
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9949 Points
    edited June 2022
    Ooooh, A mouth watering prospect of a Japan vs Bhutan match (or Iran vs Timor Leste). Go Bhutan go! Go Timor go ( where the hell is it?)!
    Spoiler alert: Transmission right prices would skyrocket and massive traffic jam in internet!
    Windfall for AFC and MAs!
    goalkeeparsouravindiaindian_goonerashindiakartik91munna219777giridharan
    ashindia said:

32 Teams in Asia Cup seriously ? Just dont play qualifiers then 
    qualifiers will be there. every team will play those competitive games. 14 teams will not make it.
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    In other countries, national Federations have signed up lucrative deals ( TV / sponsorship) with National Team.
    Like Mexico plays their International Friendlies in USA with other countries in front of their diaspora. 
    Countries like England or Spain will send their top squad as this is a tournament Nations League.
    Value for sponsors 
    Otherwise coaches used to experiment more in Friendlies 

indian_goonerDeb_Ban
  • SukunSukun Mumbai364 Points
    There should be a tournament in Asia where Asian Cup champions,and winners of Saff,Asean,Central Asia,East Asia,West Asia or any  regional cup winners play with each other,either in a round robin or Home Away format and toppers get to play final,It will add meaning to such regional tournaments and also India can get to play very good teams as most of the time we win Saff.Just an thought though.
    indian_goonergiridharan