SAFF News

Comments

• RonnyRonny 10441 Points
    BFC let go of him which means there was a reason or decline in his performance unless he has been loaned out. He's also only 17 but I think wasnt picked because he hasnt been playing consistently or maybe has an injury..from his team of Bibiano's batch only Taison(17),Maheson(17),Halen(18), Himanshu(18), Shubho Paul(18) and keeper Som(17) were part of this U-20 team.
    Interesting to see if he gets picked up for the SAFF U-17 month
    souravindia
  • RonnyRonny 10441 Points
    Also Shubho Paul is good but probably not good enough to snatch the forward position in this U-20 team from Himanshu, Gurkirat and Parthib..They are all physically stronger and faster than him
  • G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    edited August 2022
    @Ronny Sridarth won't be picked for U17 squad too. He's over the age limit. For U20, it's after 2003 & above and for U17, it's 2006.

The age gap is 3, while the frequency is 2, thus the teams need to be broken down from U17 to U20. Only Gurkirat and Bikash Yumnam were part of 2018 U16 squad, the rest were either backup players of that batch or from 2020 U16 squad (2004 born). However, GK Som Kumar is 2005 born, so he's two year younger than most of his teammates. He can play in 2024 edition too.

There's some rule like a player can play in each age tournament only once, but that's related to final tournament only I think, so we needn't bother.
    Ronnyindian_gooner
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    I think Sridarth is a real talent who probably needs a better team and a more competitive league to bring the best out of him. I saw those u16 matches and man, ge was brilliant! Maybe AIFF should sebd a few of our vest young talents abroad to play in u23 leagues of YK or France, Spain etc. Sridarth should be part of such a group. He can be a major suoerstar for NT in future. 
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    Can somebody tell more about Gurkirat?

as per someone on twitter he MCFC signed him 1 year ago. Any idea where was he prior to that?

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points

Who is SAFF U-20 Championship hero Gurkirat Singh?

Gurkirat Singh hails from Chandigarh and is a product of the famed Chandigarh Football Academy. He spent five years there honing his game before he was scouted into the India U16 set up by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).

"I used to play in my village and loved playing football. Senior players in my village asked me to go and join a good academy," Singh had told GOAL in an earlier interview.

"I went to Chandigarh to join CFA and my career started from there. I was there for almost five years. Then in 2017, I was selected for the India U16 team under Bibiano (Fernandes) sir. Then I joined Indian Arrows last year (2019) and I’ve been continuing there ever since."

A versatile customer - Started as a defender, excelling as a forward

When he joined the Indian Arrows' set up, he was a defender and was an instrumental figure in the India U16 side that reached the quarter-finals of the 2018 AFC U16 Championship.

Floyd Pinto, the then coach of Arrows, saw his potential in the attacking third and started using him more in the advanced areas of the pitch. To take advantage of his height and sturdy physique, he would often be used as a forward, especially when the team was trailing.

"I was asked to play as a forward by Floyd sir. He told me to give it a try, playing as a forward. He told me it will be good for me. I tried and I felt it is a position I can play because in CFA also, I started as a forward," he stated.

Gurkirat Singh's goalscoring exploits

Not many know, that Gurkirat was the joint top scorer in the 2019 SAFF U-18 tournament as well. However, in the previous edition, he netted just twice which proved to be enough to win the golden boot.

In the 2020-21 I-League season, he started blossoming as a forward as he went on to make 11 appearances. His performances did not go unnoticed and he was signed by Indian Super League (ISL) side Mumbai City FC on a three-year contract until May 2024 with an option to extend for another season.

He made 8 appearances in the last ISL season, mostly as a substitute. Coach Des Buckingham would surely like to make the most of the teenager in the upcoming campaign.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/nxgn-india-who-is-gurkirat-singh-the-golden-boot-and-mvp-award-saff-u-20/blt5922c381d7fcd425

Carbon_14indian_goonermunna219777
  • G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    Not exactly SAFF news, but related to most recent discussions here. Australia have withdrawn from AFC U20 Asian Cup Qualifiers. So our group now consists of only India, Iraq and Kuwait.
    giridharangoalkeeparmunna219777ashindiaRonnyindian_goonersouravindia
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    Still will finish last
    giridharansudheermylankalashindiaRonny
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    edited September 2022
    New batch, new challenges, same World Cup dream for Bibiano’s U-17 boys

Head Coach Bibiano Fernandes named a 23-member squad for the SAFF U-17 Championship which kicks-off in Colombo on September 5, 2022.

“The boys have worked so hard over the months. They are excited. They are hitting the ground with high levels of intensity and motivation,” said Bibiano.

India begin their campaign against Bhutan on September 5. The final is slated for September 16.

“We believe this batch has what it takes to outdo what the previous two batches achieved. Our short-term aim is to win the SAFF U17 Championship and qualify for the AFC U17 Championships as group leaders,” the coach stated.

The 23-member squad is as follows:

GOALKEEPERS: Sahil, Julfikar Gazi, Tajamul Islam.

DEFENDERS: Ricky Meetei, Mukul Panwar, Manjot Singh Dhami, Balkaran Singh, Suraj Kumar Singh, Chandan Yadav.

MIDFIELDERS: Gurnaj Singh Grewal, Korou Singh, Lalpekhlua, Vanlalpeka Guite, Boby Singh, Malemngamba Singh Thokchom, Huzafah Ahmad Dar, Ngarin Shaiza, Danny Meitei, Lalhmingchhuanga Fanai, Faizan Waheed, Obed Mangminhao Haokip.

FORWARDS: Thanglalsoun Gangte, Aman.

The fixture for India’s matches are as follows:

September 5: Bhutan vs India (IST 3.30pm).
    September 9: India vs Nepal (IST 3.30pm).
    September 12: Semi-finals (IST 3.30pm and 8pm).
    September 14: Final (IST 7pm).

https://www.the-aiff.com/article/new-batch-new-challenges-same-world-cup-dream-for-bibianos-u-17-boys

munna219777giridharangaffertapeindian_goonerPassi
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    Another squad full of age frauds
    giridharangaffertapesouravindiaRonny