Styles of play in football

reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
edited June 2012 in Chill Out
<span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal; ">Recently, with dominance of Barcelona, </span><b style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; ">tiki taka</b><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> (a style of play) is more renounced among the common people like me (supposedly new name given to possession football by the media). Also, with the appoint of dutch TD and coach for Indian NT, </font><b style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; ">total football</b><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> is being associated with our style of play. But, clearly there is a huge difference between possession football, tiki taka and total football. </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">So, I am starting this thread to clearly bring out the differences between them (also more styles) and also discuss about the formation that are more suitable for the corresponding style of play. </font></div>

Comments

• reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">First style of play!! </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Tiki Taka : This is a version of possession football where fluidity is of atmost importance in attack and midfield. "A </font><span style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; ">short passing style in which the ball is worked carefully through various channels". Patience is another important virtue in this kind of play. Players move the ball in variable patterns keeping the opponent guessing about the point of attack. </span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font face="sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 19px;">Tiki-taka is also associated with flair, creativity, and touch. Sometimes this is also attributed to slow pace game. </span></font></span></div><div><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">Famous team using this : Barcelona. </span></div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    we are not playing - Total Football, neither do the dutch play it any more
  • rudra wrote: »
    we are not playing - Total Football, neither do the dutch play it any more

<br><div><br></div><div>From what I hear, that does not seem the direction for us, and honestly after watching the MLS team Toronto FC get a new coach last season (where he announced the team would only do Total Football) and all of a sudden the team startes with 1 win, 0 ties and 10 losses, I kinda fell off that idea. </div><div><br></div><div>I just hope the Indian media says our style the right way and not just say it is Total Football/Tika whatever.</div>
    That's is what I wanted people to know. Total football is a style of play which was developed by Dutch in 70-80s, but it requires high stamina and skill. Currently,  NO TEAM IN THE WORLD PLAYS THAT STYLE OF PLAY.<br><br>I am pissed off being India's play linked to TOTAL FOOTBALL.<br>
    Also I am pissed off with the fact every possession football is linked with Tiki Taka. I wanted people to know the difference between them. So I started this thread I would do some research and put as much as style of play here and would like to contribute their thoughts and in the process clear the misconception among the common people.<br>
  • reddevil87 wrote: »
    That's is what I wanted people to know. Total football is a style of play which was developed by Dutch in 70-80s, but it requires high stamina and skill. Currently,  NO TEAM IN THE WORLD PLAYS THAT STYLE OF PLAY.<br><br>I am pissed off being India's play linked to TOTAL FOOTBALL.<br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Not true. I hear teams use it all the time....... it just ends in failure. </div><div><br></div><div>I remember talking to Rohan Ricketts (former Arsenal players) and he said that Arsenal did Total Football in the Academy but not anymore. </div>
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Second style of play!!</font><div style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Joga Bonito : (The Beautiful Game) </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A free flowing, fast paced creative possession based football which mostly showcases technical superiority in individual play. Ball control, dribbling, trickery and creativity are integral part of this style football . The ultimate goal is to look elegant while playing. This style also involves creative off ball movement, running to open space and critical angle passing/goals.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">By this time many would have guessed it, famous team using following this style : Brazil National Team.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">This is also known as Samba or Brazilian style. Typically attack and to score is the motive. The modern concept of attacking byline wing backs can be attributed to this style. The sudden surge of center backs to the front is another aspect in this style of football. </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Further details and superb article on Brazilian style and tactics :</font></div><div><a href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341162&root=world&cc=4716">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341162&root=world&cc=4716</a>;
    </div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: small; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: small; "> </span></div>
    munna219777
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    very nice thread discussing the core of football tactics
  • reddevil87 wrote: »
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Second style of play!!</font><div style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Joga Bonito : (The Beautiful Game) </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A free flowing, fast paced creative possession based football which mostly showcases technical superiority in individual play. Ball control, dribbling, trickery and creativity are integral part of this style football . The ultimate goal is to look elegant while playing. This style also involves creative off ball movement, running to open space and critical angle passing/goals.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">By this time many would have guessed it, famous team using following this style : Brazil National Team.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">This is also known as Samba or Brazilian style. Typically attack and to score is the motive. The modern concept of attacking byline wing backs can be attributed to this style. The sudden surge of center backs to the front is another aspect in this style of football. </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Further details and superb article on Brazilian style and tactics :</font></div><div><a href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341162&root=world&cc=4716">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341162&root=world&cc=4716</a>;
    </div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: small; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: small; "> </span></div>

<br><div><br></div><div>Excellent job finding the article. Wow, 2005.</div>
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3394 Points
    indian team should play with possession first, keep the ball with them & DON'T kick unneccessarirly..