Mohun Bagan Super Giant News

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Sa
    Mohun Bagan get back to action in style. 6-0 win over Aryan Club in KFL (it must be mentioned they were in a squad crisis) with Odafa scoring 4 goals.
    Saw the game Odafa scored thrice in first 30 mins. Sunil played more than a hour in the game but didn't score. NABI and Manish Maithani scored 1 each, Manish Gave assists too. Sunil needs to boost himself by scoring in easy games atleast
  • projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited March 2012
    What a goal feast today ? Half a dozen, four goals by Odafa in the first half itself, the biggest positive takeaway from this game was Odafa working like a well oiled lean mean goal machine peaking into top gear before I league restarts. Manish Maithani and NP Pradeep had a good game too. Nice to see Subrata Bhattacharya getting Pradeep back from the wilderness he was for the last couple years. Today he played full 90 mins for the first time AND EFFECTIVELY SO for the first time this year, his football sense was never in doubt but his stamina was.
    Odafa himself finished the game off in the first half bulging the net four times, nice to see him being replaced in the 50th min by Ashim Biswas. Sunil Chetri got to play with Ashim, Nabi, pradeep and Manish for full 43 minutes with no Odafa on the pitch, did not make much of a mark, messed up a couple sitters. Even when Odafa was there, Odafa sent a couple passes his way which he messed up. This entire theory of Sunil not succeeding because of Odafa presence has been widely trashed in all MB fan club forums and meetings and given that the team took an unassailable lead in the first half itself, courtesy Odafa, the team management allowed Sunil to show his mettle in Odafa's absence and with Nabi on the left, Ashim partnering him, Manish on the right and pradeep in central midfield role. There was some quick passing football but nothing top class against an all Indian Aryan defense. Nabi and Manish Maithani scored but Sunil messed up all the chances he got in all 75 minutes he played. Let's hope he does better against Air India but I guess Odafa will play that game all 90 minutes.
  • Provided Odafa doesn't finish Air India off in first half :D
  • projenatorprojenator 26 Points
    edited March 2012
    the highlights of the DEMOLISHING afternoon.......
    I have not checked whether the links work since I watched the game live. This is a copy paste from MB fans club facebook page.

1-0 ....

2-0 ....

3-0 ....

4-0 ....

5-0 ....

6-0 ....

ENJOY !!!!!
  • Somnath,
    Had the refereeing been at least Calcutta standard, I wouldn't have doubted you at all. Air India defence is nothing worthwhile to speak about, Tamba beats opponent strikers down is all that is significant, not for us fans or football lovers but officials. Now if srikrishna or dinesh nair or fernandes is the referee, all you will get is a wry smile even if Tamba head butts Odafa.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    Has anyone noticed the Aryan goalkeeper? The guy was around 40; weight surely more than 90 kg. He couldnt move even properly and ot pain whenever he had to jump a bit or move his limbs. Insteaad of an young player why this potato shack was fielded is beyond my comprehension. I wonder why these clubs dont withdraw their name instead of being a laughing stock.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    I noticed Manish Maithani. 1 goal and 2 intelligent assists. Great game for him. But I think he needs to be faster. This was a poor defense
  • Sabir,
    i am sorry that's not true. Shibram De has been one of the most consistent and is a favorite of Raghu Nandy. He can easily be a no 2 goalkeeper for some of the big clubs but he chooses to play with Raghu Nandy since he gets maximum chances. This same guy was under the bar when Aryan crushed East Bengal 4-1. Not sure if you have noticed his performance in the IFA Shield. He almost denied Prayag a win single handedly and had it not been for Bello Razaq's "once in a lifetime" strike from 40 yards away, Aryan would have tied the game with the same all Bengali team which played Mohun Bagan yesterday. Yes, the same defence which played yesterday kept Prayag at bay for more than 80 minutes in the IFA shield game, finally loosing the game 0-1. Shibram De is excellent on the ground, add to that wonderful anticipation and leading the defence from behind, his only potential weakness being his inability to negotiate high aerial balls. Unfortunately Shibram was injured yesterday and was having trouble with his right knee but with this, he thwarted the no 1 national striker Sunil Chetri every time he aimed for glory. I don't think any of Odafa's goals could be thwarted even if Karanjit Singh was playing under the bar for that matter, so precise and targetted was his striking. If Odafa continues the rich vein of form he was in yesterday, which is too much to expect, I wouldn't be surprised if Air India concedes half a dozen but again refereeing at the all India level is extremely parochial, more so if some one with a south indian name gets to officiate that match, especially Srikrishna and Fernandes, the two most awful.
  • Raghu Nandi did mention that he played an unfit Shibram because he was not sure how his #2 'keeper, who is yet to play this season, would fare against Odafa. And simply don't agree with the logic that teams should withdraw or surrender when they have weaker squads. This way, half the teams would give walkover in KFL. It is completely IFA's fault. They were too engrossed with PLS to accomodate for KFL matches. Smaller clubs cannot hold on to their foreigners for so long just to play 2 KFL matches.
  • The Aryan left flank is weak compared to the right where Rajib Gholui, the under 19 guy is a bundle of energy and "never say die" attitude. Manish was offered yards of space to work with which made his job easier but that shouldn't take away from him the hard work he put in, running all round the field, helping Surkumar out in defence. I know there has been a lot of criticism of most Indian player's gross inaccuracy in passing and shooting, especially Rakesh Masih's in MB fan forums, which is why coach Subrata has advised them to take their time, hold on to the ball and pass only when they are confident of reaching their own player. I could see a conscious effort to do that in yesterday's game which is much better than feeding it to the opponent trying to pass quickly. Lack of ball retention is the biggest bane of Indian players, which even the Ten action commentators palmer and burridge have discussed time and again, the last time I heard was in the bayern munich game recess.