2014-15 I-League Round 8: The Battle for First!

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    It was RANTYIING Goals!!! 5-1 win for East Bengal. Really sad to see Armando Colaco in the Commentary Box while Papas on the Bench as Coach. How much more humiliation Dempo SC will suffer before they remove Mr Papas??
    Pondicherrygoalkeepar
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Seriously... I don't know why this bothers me so much but how the fuck does Ranti Martins and the old goons keep scoring! Carlos Hernandez is a former A-League top scorer yet will never score the same 5 goals that Martins did today. If Martins is really this good then he should fuck off abroad already!

@Maddie Will do.
    7negigoalkeeparRonnybida 25
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    Only Odafa has a better record than Ranty having scored 6 goal in a match. Twice both in 2009 against Vasco SC and Mohammedan Sporting
    munna219777goalkeepar
    And how do they do this? I used to think it was just the Indian players being poor at defending and that they were really physically outmatched by Odafa and Ranti but now I just don't believe that. At the same time, whenever I watch these guys I don't see them being good enough for the next level like an MLS or something (Ranti maybe would get like 2-5 goals here).

Meanwhile, in the Indian Super League, Ranti Martins was proven to be futile for FC Goa. So how the hell do guys like Odafa, Ranti, Edeh, Josimar etc. just keep scoring in the I-League. We need to reach a point where they are marginalized otherwise we have not improved.
    Ronnymunna219777bida 25
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Okay but think on the opposite line also. Jeje, Sahni, Subhash Singh, Abhishek Yadav  , Ishfaq scored in ISL. How many goals do you think they will get in I-League? Even English clubs hire African players. All EPL clubs. Why they are hiring players in ranking way way lower then England? At the end of the day, you need to have a balanced squad. If one can get athleticism or physicality from Foreigner players, one should opt for that.
    I agree and I have always been an advocate for going for players from leagues such as the Nigerian Premier League etc. but I am just wondering how these guys just keep on scoring without response... a few years ago I was like "Okay, give it a few years and these guys will be marginalized" but now it is like, what the hell.

Sahni only scored 2 goals in 16 games. The top Indian scorer was bloody Jeje on 3/4 goals. Not exactly spectacular by any means.
    munna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    jeje with 4 goals pretty good as top scorer was elano with 8 goals good for a 2 month league.
    munna219777
    But Elano was out for a chunk of it but ya, point taken.
  • dhritiman7dhritiman7 4029 Points
    Only Indian player to score 5 goals in NFL / I - League was Bhaichung Bhutia. Scored 5 against Mahindra playing for JCT.

@ArsenalFan700 Its depends upon style of play. Players like Alan Gao, Mustafa Riga, Mukansi (You can include Trezeguet in the list :) ), they don't like (read unable) holding the ball or taking defenders in left or right channel, they will have one or two touches outside the box and then will run towards the goal expecting return ball which they will never get in India from Indian midfielders (not considering Edger, Carlos). And they are habituated to relatively fast and ground pass oriented games which they will never get in I league.

At the same time players like Odafa, Ranti, Chidi, Baretto started playing in India at a very early age and knows Indian defenders who allows time and space to strikers. Even midfielders expect in I league that strikers to hold and dodge. As these strikers have better basic skills like trapping, shooting than average Indian strikers (May be Sunil is only exception at this moment) they score easily. As they  never experienced top tier football where simply they will not get this much time to hold and dribble, they will not be successful in ISL or middle tier European league (Dudu is an exception but since returning from Europe his style of play has changed significantly, instead of taking on defenders he is looking for return ball more these days). For the same reason Jose Baretto's trial in Bayer Levarkusen which was arranged by his friend Lucio was not successful.

ArsenalFan700footydipcoolgagangoalkeepararchakmohammed_87hassanbida 25 munna219777reddevil87
    edited March 2015
    Thank you so much for that reply @dhritiman7. Makes 100% sense!

So basically, we are not at the point yet where these guys are nothing... they can still produce.