I-League 2011-12 - General Discussion thread

Comments

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    everyone on this forum knows attendance issue,that money needs to spent on marketing
  • everyone on this forum knows attendance issue,that money needs to spent on marketing

What an idea, SIRJI ? Harass, if not kill the golden goose, forget about the birds in hand but run after the birds in the bush. Wouldn't it be more prudent to spend money on bringing in foreign referees like it is being done in the Calcutta league, ensure a fair game, spend money on spotters, academies and training coaches at the grass root level than splurge it all on running after the birds in the bush. I see some promises in states like J & K but hopeless cases like Gujarat, TN and even Andhra (probably with the exception of Hyderabad) must not be much of a cause of bother since they are not going to yield any bang for the buck any time soon.
  • everyone on this forum knows attendance issue,that money needs to spent on marketing

What an idea, SIRJI ? Harass, if not kill the golden goose, forget about the birds in hand but run after the birds in the bush. Wouldn't it be more prudent to spend money on bringing in foreign referees like it is being done in the Calcutta league, ensure a fair game, spend money on spotters, academies and training coaches at the grass root level than splurge it all on running after the birds in the bush. I see some promises in states like J & K but hopeless cases like Gujarat, TN and even Andhra (probably with the exception of Hyderabad) must not be much of a cause of bother since they are not going to yield any bang for the buck any time soon.

FUCK REFS! They can wait. Right now the quality of the referees is bad but lets face it, EVERY REFEREE IN THE WORLD IS CRAP AND BIASED THESE DAYS! Right now marketing is the need of the day. Bringing people to the stands is needed. YES Even in Kolkata you guys need more of a crowd if you guys stay in the Salt Lake Stadium. 40,000-60,000 people in a 120,000 seater stadium, most of the fans in the 2nd tier of the stadium wont do. Money is surely being lost there. We need all 14 teams getting fans into the seats. Here is my attendence predictions based off watching the games and what I hear...

Air India - play at a 20,000 seater - 1,000-2,000 a game
    Chirag - play at a 60,000 seater - maybe 5,000 - 10,000 a game regularly
    Churchill - play at a 27,300 seater - 10,000 a game
    Dempo - play at a 27,300 seater - 10,000 a game
    East Bengal - play at a 120,000 seater - 40,000-60,000 a game
    HAL - play at a 15,000 seater - 1,500 a game
    Mohun Bagan - play at a 120,000 seater - 40,000-60,000 a game
    Mumbai FC - play at a 20,000 - 2,000 a game
    Prayag United SC - play at a 120,000 - 5,000 - 10,000 a game
    Pune FC - play at a 20,000 seater - 5,000 a game
    Sporting Goa - play in a 27,300 seater - 10,000 a game
    Shillong Lajong - play in a 30,000 seater - 30,000 a game
    Salgaocar SC - play in a 27,300 seater - 10,000 a game
    Pailan Arrows - play in a 120,000 seater - 10,000 a game

Only Lajong get a respectable attendance based on a attendance to stadium capacity ratio. Marketing is the need of the hour, not referees.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9949 Points
    This is interesting read: Interview of Rajiv Piramal in goal.com.
    The AIFF and IMG-Reliance deal is so structured that the clubs will see no money for the next 15 years – Rajeev Piramal - Goal.com: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2012/02/21/2918812/the-aiff-and-img-reliance-deal-is-so-structured-that-the"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/ ... d-that-the</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We all concluded that marketing is the need of the hour for the clubs; after reading this one, I felt pity for the clubs. AIFF & IMG-R haven’t kept any incentives for the clubs to operate – they are doing social service. I liked the part where Piramal has done a comparison between I-league and PLS.
  • This is interesting read: Interview of Rajiv Piramal in goal.com.
    The AIFF and IMG-Reliance deal is so structured that the clubs will see no money for the next 15 years – Rajeev Piramal - Goal.com: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2012/02/21/2918812/the-aiff-and-img-reliance-deal-is-so-structured-that-the"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/ ... d-that-the</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We all concluded that marketing is the need of the hour for the clubs; after reading this one, I felt pity for the clubs. AIFF & IMG-R haven’t kept any incentives for the clubs to operate – they are doing social service. I liked the part where Piramal has done a comparison between I-league and PLS.

Thing is though that this interview was done maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I want to know what he thinks about the MLS proposal.

Heck, I want to know if he even knows about the MLS format. He says he watches a lot of Indian and European football but what about American Soccer of Australia which run on franchises.
  • After reading this article today morning, I started doubting IMG-Reliance attitude. There is a constant tussle in my mind about the allegation made by Primal on IMG is true or a hoax? I trust both IMG and Pune FC, thus I was made to think about this allegation. Look there has been some positive development on Youth development front specially in India -U15 and India U-17 teams by training at IMG academy. Also the fact there has been some inflow in cash which seriously lacking last year. But question what else other than these two? On the other hand CMG has done some work atleast to grab the media eyeball towards Indian Football (good or bad that is something else to ponder upon). I am not favoring CMG here, but here is your most professional club of India's elite division is alleging about the IMG-Reliance and AIFF deal and supporting PLS structure (finance distribution only) makes me wonder, is it was right to have a such long term deal or short deal of 5-6 years would have been better?
    Also, some of the points made by Primal was quite right, firstly about the distribution of league profits among the clubs. This big difference is quite visible in La liga and English Premier league. In La liga, most of clubs are entitled to their own business and profits. Hence, small teams has started to choke in La Liga. Recently there was a news where La Liga is going to model itself according to Premier league (financially). Secondly, I-league has to be separate Identity which should be handled by club representatives and independent body. This is seriously lacking in this case. Ensuring this would have a cascading effect on each club and also to lower division football. Thirdly, about the trophy? I was surprised to here that. It was a shocker for me. Surely I haven't seen it but I assumed there would be one. Pune's point is valid, they should showcase the trophy so that and players fans are aware of what is they are trying to achieve.

There are some more such points. I will go through them and try to bring it up in this forum for proper discussion.
  • After reading this article today morning, I started doubting IMG-Reliance attitude. There is a constant tussle in my mind about the allegation made by Primal on IMG is true or a hoax? I trust both IMG and Pune FC, thus I was made to think about this allegation. Look there has been some positive development on Youth development front specially in India -U15 and India U-17 teams by training at IMG academy. Also the fact there has been some inflow in cash which seriously lacking last year. But question what else other than these two? On the other hand CMG has done some work atleast to grab the media eyeball towards Indian Football (good or bad that is something else to ponder upon). I am not favoring CMG here, but here is your most professional club of India's elite division is alleging about the IMG-Reliance and AIFF deal and supporting PLS structure (finance distribution only) makes me wonder, is it was right to have a such long term deal or short deal of 5-6 years would have been better?
    Also, some of the points made by Primal was quite right, firstly about the distribution of league profits among the clubs. This big difference is quite visible in La liga and English Premier league. In La liga, most of clubs are entitled to their own business and profits. Hence, small teams has started to choke in La Liga. Recently there was a news where La Liga is going to model itself according to Premier league (financially). Secondly, I-league has to be separate Identity which should be handled by club representatives and independent body. This is seriously lacking in this case. Ensuring this would have a cascading effect on each club and also to lower division football. Thirdly, about the trophy? I was surprised to here that. It was a shocker for me. Surely I haven't seen it but I assumed there would be one. Pune's point is valid, they should showcase the trophy so that and players fans are aware of what is they are trying to achieve.

There are some more such points. I will go through them and try to bring it up in this forum for proper discussion.

Also have to remember that IMG have other things on there minds as well. They are also working on an NBA type Basketball league for instance.

Also like I said this interview was done 2-3 weeks ago. Tomorrow the league will have a meeting and I am sure Pirmal will make his point clear then.

Also I-League is not ready for an Premier League type financial structure. Football is not that popular yet. I still think a full MLS off the field structure should be taken up.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9949 Points
    The conference system in MLS is devised to address the vast distances and multiple time zones in the US. If we copy this mindlessly (overlooking other positive points), we may not do the right thing. IMO tier system will fragment and localize the league when we need national spread.

The A-league is better: they do not have tiers in the same league. The A-league have lesser teams (to be sustainable), we also may go for it; say, 12 premium teams. On second div, we may have two conferences, again to sustain itself.

Other things like university draft system, salary cap, etc may be taken from MLS (or A-league).
  • The local media in Kolkata is abuzz with news that the Federation officials and the IMG folks namely Ashu Jindal, Preeti Srivastava and Jefferson Flag had absolutely no answers to the concerns raised by the club officials, instead they sat through the meeting dumbfounded are trying to use backdoor divide and rule tactics between Kolkata and western Indian clubs so that they can get away with selling I league rights to IMG for fifteen years where the clubs get nothing, some of the newer ones may even run into losses.

Man, the AIFF is the biggest pain in the arse in Indian football.
  • The conference system in MLS is devised to address the vast distances and multiple time zones in the US. If we copy this mindlessly (overlooking other positive points), we may not do the right thing. IMO tier system will fragment and localize the league when we need national spread.

The A-league is better: they do not have tiers in the same league. The A-league have lesser teams (to be sustainable), we also may go for it; say, 12 premium teams. On second div, we may have two conferences, again to sustain itself.

Other things like university draft system, salary cap, etc may be taken from MLS (or A-league).

I agree and disagree. The MLS is doing much better than A-League. A-League is in the 7th season and have 11 teams. 3 of which failed. MLS, by there 7th season had 10 teams, with 4 more coming soon. Plus they only had 2 teams fail and in terms of attendance MLS averaged 15,000 which for a country which had soccer as its 7TH SPORT that is very good. A-League is averaging 10,000 right now. There biggest earner is averaging 21,000 and that is the Victory. In MLS the highest team was the Galaxy who averaged 23,000. Last season the highest crowd puller was the Seattle Sounders who averaged 38,000.

MLS is by far the better league. Still I agree we should take the A-League format from there as well. Mix them up.