Creating THE Master's League in INDIA

ShouvikShouvik 0 Points
edited March 2012 in I league
Ok, i have read a huge amount of post regarding what should be the proper way of running i-league.

You guys have told about the J-League, A-League and MLS format in INDIAN football. But you didnt looked whether these can be applied in current indian football condition. So here's one thing.

1st Division - Bring the K-League Model.

Ok now look we have several company teams like DEMPO, SALGOLCAR, CHIRAG, AIR-INDIA, HAL in I-League.
These teams have support but are not able to manipulate on them. Again, if you say these teams to go for a name change and bring the city name; they will not do it. They are here to promote their own company. This was just like the way K-League faced problems in getting associated with local fans. So what they did.

Four things -

1. Name Change - The clubs were said to add the city names with there Company names. Just like one of there clubs named a Samsung SC from Suwon region changed their name to Suwon Samsung SC and latter on to Suwon Samsung Bluewings SC.
Similarly for DEMPO - Panjim DEMPO SC
SALGOLCAR - Vasco SALGOLCAR City SC (as there is a Vasco SC already)
CHIRAG - Chirag KERELA
AIR-INDIA - Mumbai Air-Indians
HAL - HAL Bangalore
PRAYAG - Prayag North Bengal Uniteds.

2. De-Localization - There can be only two clubs from a specific City. EXCEPT KOLKATA. K-League did the same thing. they forced the clubs to do so, many clubs oppossed this though. But the future says that the clubs did the right thing. (for further information go to Wikipedia for K-League).

3. Marketing and Shares - The KFA along with the running government gave the clubs huge money loans to increase the infrastructure of them aswell as creating own stadium for clubs. The effort payed off and within two years K-League reached No. 2 in AFC League Ranking.

4. Planning - K-League First Planned for the 1st Division and then for the second. they had had the moto that there would be no relregation untill all the clubs in the League becomes financialy Stable and are able to associate with local community.

So here's what it can look in INDIA...

Delhi - put the Blackburn team there. name it as Delhi B. Rovers.
Punjab - if JCT makes a come back. name it JCT Punjab FC.
Mumbai - Mumbai Air-Indians
Mumbai FC.
Goa
Panjim - Panjim DEMPO SC
Sporting Club D Goa

Vasco - Vasco SALGOLCAR City SC

Margao or Salcette - Churchill Brothers SC
Pune - Pune FC
Bangalore - HAL Bangalore SC
Bangalore JINDALS
Kerela - Chirag KERELA

BENGAL
Kolkata - Mohun Bagan AC
East Bengal
Mohameddan SC

Pailan - PAILAN ARROWS
(there is a place in named as such just few kilometers away from Kolkata, they have a 8,000 seated amature Stadium.)

Silliguri - Prayag North Bengal Uniteds

Sikkim - United Sikkim SC

Meghalaya

Shillong - Shillong Lajong FC
Royal Wahingdoh F.C.

So, there it is a 20 team league. Instead of EAST-WEST Groupping; i would Make two groups of clubs according to North-South. See there is 10 teams for North and 10 teams for South.

So what do you say.....

Comments

• I like it. Honestly I never looked into the K-League model much but from what you said it seems great.

1) The Name Change. I dont mind but Vasco Salgaocar and Panjim Dempo will take time to get used to. I always thought Mumbai Pilots FC would be the best name for Air India (they should still leave the league though as overall the only good thing bout them is players) Also I think when I-League decides to expand and who to keep in the league they should not just think of the team name and see the city name. That city named team can still fail if not marketed right. Example being HAL, it is already named as HAL Bangalore (wiki uses HAL SC for formal reasons). HAL Bangalore barely get a crowd. Also I think Prayag United SC is a nice name and does not need a city, just move the team to Siliguri and be done.

2) Yep exactly. And that is why I dont want promotion. Look at the 2nd Division right now. We might see a 5th (or 4th again) Kolkata club in I-League next season! The problem here is convincing the owners. For example I would rather Dempo and Sporting Goa to stay in Goa because they are the most supported and best ran clubs in Goa and Churchill and Salgaocar to go to untapped markets like Nagpur, Delhi etc. but realistically would it happen. Tough to tell, I dont think so. Prayag Group were smart and saw they had no chance in Kolkata and will soon leave for its own benefits, Salgaocar and Churchill... lets hope they are smart.

3) Marketing and shares. Wont happen. The money the clubs in Korea got was huge, we cant do that. That is why I want the AIFF to give up on the 2nd Division, Santosh Trophy and other useless cups so they would have more money for the league. As for marketing I think regional TV deals would help money more. They do it in Kolkata so why not all of India. Have the one National Game on Friday and the other games being regional TV games.

4) Get rid of 2nd Division.

(Response to be continued :) )
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    we need to start with a 12 member league and i dont wanna see clubs like air india , hal both for the obvious reason of lack of professionalism,
    salgaokar and churchill brothers should not be allowed in the league unless they are showing interest in moving out of goa
    pailan arrows as well as they are not a professional club to get a place here
    which will give us 3 spots available in league which shall be filled by one each from bangalore, delhi/punjab and any NE club
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Shouvik wrote:
    You guys have told about the J-League, A-League and MLS format in INDIAN football. But you didnt looked whether these can be applied in current indian football condition. So here's one thing.

1st Division - Bring the K-League Model.

Thats some idea man! I completely agree to it. There have been many ideas on revamping I-League before. All of them great in themselves but were too drastic and ruthless for my liking. This idea of yours seems very simple and equally effective.

There is no reason why Dempo cannot change its name to Dempo Panjim FC etc. Also the forced 2 clubs per city is a good thing. Now teams like MB and EB are too established to move but Prayag can easily shift somewhere else. But AIFF should come in aid of the clubs who are made to shift.

If Air India and HAL stick around with a name connected to their city, there is no harm. They just have to take it more seriously.

But all of this can happen only when AIFF/IMG-Rel makes the league a good business model. Its a completely loss-making affair that is going on. In this situation, if the clubs are not motivated enough, I am not surprised. Everybody wants some incentive. These clubs are neither gaining any money nor any mileage with their brands.

Recently, after the formation of IPFCA, the owners of Dempo and Churchill had said exactly that. And even though they are performing well, they might close down the club in 2 years if it doesn't give them anything back
  • ShouvikShouvik 0 Points
    edited March 2012
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    i think there is money to be made in indian foootball teams just need to figure it out
  • ShouvikShouvik 0 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:

3) Marketing and shares. Wont happen. The money the clubs in Korea got was huge, we cant do that. That is why I want the AIFF to give up on the 2nd Division, Santosh Trophy and other useless cups so they would have more money for the league. As for marketing I think regional TV deals would help money more. They do it in Kolkata so why not all of India. Have the one National Game on Friday and the other games being regional TV games.

NO, arsenalfan sorry to inerupt your this point. Ok, i would like to inform you that West Bengal State Government has assigned 90 crores in the State Budget for the re-novation of the three stadiums of Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohameddan Sporting and to make them of World Class with modern facilities within 1 year. The Sport Minister stated that they wanted to bring all the games from YBK to these three stadiums except the Derby matches between the Famous Three.

Now, if other state governments would do the same thing, then i am sure that within 2-3 years our clubs will be playing in the Group Stages of AFC Champions League.

What do you say!!!
  • Shouvik wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:

NO, arsenalfan sorry to inerupt your this point. Ok, i would like to inform you that West Bengal State Government has assigned 90 crores in the State Budget for the re-novation of the three stadiums of Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohameddan Sporting and to make them of World Class with modern facilities within 1 year. The Sport Minister stated that they wanted to bring all the games from YBK to these three stadiums except the Derby matches between the Famous Three.

Now, if other state governments would do the same thing, then i am sure that within 2-3 years our clubs will be playing in the Group Stages of AFC Champions League.

What do you say!!!

Oh, I thought you meant the AIFF give money to the clubs (which wont happen). I agree about governments. There are some like Maharashtra, Kerala who are willing to invest as well but we need them all to help and revive many, many state associations.
  • ashindiaashindia 9248 Points
    Shouvik wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:

What do you say!!!

When did Bengal Govt assign 90 crores ??? When did this happen any sources to prove it ??
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    How can the Bengal Govt. do so when no construction is allowed on the ground that has been doled out by defence to the clubs on lease? Where would they put that money? I never heard of such thing
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    @Shouvik when did didi announce this?? the thing i heard was 1 crore for each 3 teams and rest of the teams were given some lakhs cant remember the exact amount