Indian Super League 2018-19

Comments

• MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2971 Points
    Rahul bheke goal tributed to his father who passed away recently. He should have been included to Indian NT in Asian Cup itself. 
    [Deleted User]reddevil87spartaEastBengalPrideRonnykartik91
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    BFC is a force to reckon with. They are the type of clubs we need in India. Clubs with professional setup, strong management, good players, and brilliant fans. I'm sorry to say this, but, we don't need some of the clubs in ISL like Delhi and Pune. Nor do we need oldies like MB and EB. With all due respect, these are legendary clubs. But, that doesn't mean that we put them ahead of our rationality. These clubs have repeatedly failed to produce something of value in the past 10 years. Previously, they had little to no competition and were the dominant force in Indian Football. But, the rise of passionate clubs like Chennai City FC, Neroca FC and Chennai City FC has exposed the deep problems within them. I WANT EB and MB to be the most professional clubs in India. But, unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's possible. Let's see what Quess does with EB. Though, the jokers at MB need to be removed. That's kinda difficult as everything is slow in WB, right from the economy to the government. This historic place is a shadow of its past. (This is coming from someone who has spent a decade and a half in WB)  
    spartaatuljgDEFENCE123EastBengalPrideathi_bheekaranreddevil87kartik91
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    @coolgagan isl season is over.. Its your time to go back to hibernation.
    DEFENCE123EastBengalPrideashindiakartik91
  • gaz8702gaz8702 Uk 12 Points
    GK PM you my friend 
  • samsam 16425 Points
    And there were only 70 fans  :D
    coolgaganDeb_BanEastBengalPrideashindiagoalkeeparspartaatuljgmunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Their parade was nice when they won I-League for the first time.
    reddevil87
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    https://sportstar.thehindu.com/isl-2018-19/isl-2018-19-bengaluru-fc-champions-rahul-bheke-goalscorer-defender-bio-profile-interview-carles-cuadrat/article26589141.ece

Bheke: A spectator in season one, a champion now

t was humid Saturday evening in Mumbai and the final of the inaugural edition of the Indian Super League between Kerala Blasters and ATK was underway at the DY Patil Stadium. Clad in a brown t-shirt, Rahul Bheke sat with three of his friends cheering for the Iain Hume-led Blasters. The tie went right down to the wire and a Mohammed Rafique header in the last minute of stoppage time led ATK to the title.

Little did Bheke know, who was playing under Khalid Jamil for Mumbai FC at the time, that four years later he would score a last-gasp header to guide Bengaluru FC to its maiden ISL title at the Mumbai Football Arena.

“It's been a memorable few days, we were waiting for this moment. We wanted to win the ISL from last year and we did it this year and I was happy that I scored in the final. We are the champions now and are enjoying the moment,” a laidback Bheke tells Sportstar from his residence in Navi Mumbai.

Rahul Bheke and friends watch the final of inaugural edition of the Indian Super League.   -  RAHUL BHEKE

Bengaluru was the designated home team for the final and for Mumbaikar Bheke, it was a homecoming. While the rest of the team flew to Bangalore the day after the final, Bheke, who lives in Nerul, went straight home to gorge on his favourite dish – Pulao – prepared by his mother. “My family is extremely happy. I've been relaxing at home and might go on a small vacation with the family,” he adds.

The season gone by has been a particularly tough one for Bheke. Despite regular solid performances for Bengaluru, where he played in multiple roles across the breadth of the pitch, he failed to make the national team for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. He put the snub behind him and continued to focus on club football, but faced a massive setback when his father passed away in January.

Enter coach Carles Cuadrat.

The Spaniard has worked with Bheke over the last two seasons and offered him some much-needed assurance. “He generally doesn't talk much. When my father expired, he spoke to me when I came back and told me 'You can take your own time to join the team. You are part of my plan, so you will be playing all the games. There's nothing to worry about.' He understood the situation,” recalls Bheke.

“I did not start the game against Kerala Blasters (on February 06), and Carles told me that he didn't want me to start because I was out for 3-4 days and didn't want me to pick up an injury. But he told me before the game that if needed, he will use me. We were trailing 0-2 and at half time, and he told me we need you and I was mentally prepared. We drew the game 2-2 and I was really happy that he believed in me that time too,” he adds.

The 28-year-old was a part of the Bengaluru defence that conceded two goals off set pieces in last years final and credits Carles for turning things around this time around. “We were working on set-pieces for a long time. We scored most of our goals this season through set-pieces and we had planned some different types of set-pieces for the final. We have to thank coach Carles because he is brilliant with set-pieces,” he says in one breath.

Bheke remains grounded even when the spotlight is shining bright on him. When quizzed if he's got plans of inking his body, a path that most footballers take after a title win, he says “no, no. I have no plans of getting a tattoo, I'm not that a big fan of them.”

He might have no ideas of getting a permanent tattoo just yet, but he will forever be referred to as India's "Bhekenbaur".

kartik91Ronny
  • samsam 16425 Points
    edited March 2019