Sandesh Jhingan

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points

Sandesh Jhingan Exclusive: Indian football’s bulwark on his humble beginnings, Kerala Blasters and World Cup dream

https://thebridge.in/sandesh-jhingan-can-makedifference-world-cup-qualifiers/
  • My surgery has gone really well and now i am on the next stage of my comeback. Just Wanna thank you all for the support and wishes and also wanna thank Dr.Anant joshi along with his staff at Sportsmed mumbai for taking such good care of me.

Deb_BanEastBengalPridemunna219777RonnyNagendragiridharan
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    edited January 2020
    Recuperating from ACL injury, Sandesh Jhingan works away on his first book

It’s been over three months that Sandesh Jhingan has been out of action owing to an ACL injury. “It’s better to come back stronger than sooner,” Jhingan states.

In an exclusive interview, we try to take a sneak-peek into the softer side of the “Ironman” and that’s where you get to discover his approach to life. Here’s him speaking at length about his rehab, people who are “mentally stronger,” a “rival club hosting a rival team player for rehab,” him writing his first book, and much more. EXCERPTS:

Do you have any specific resolutions in New year?

I don’t believe in New Year resolutions that much (laughs). But I am trying to make a concerted effort to spend more time with my parents, get them over to where I play. We owe everything to our parents.

And I am working on writing my first book.

That’s interesting.

(Smiles). It’s been in mind for quite some time. This time I have promised myself that I need to finish it off this year. It will be a collection of short stories. I have finished a couple of them and some more remain. I have also been writing poems for long, but they won’t be a part of this book.

What’s the update on your rehab?

The surgery under Dr. Anant Joshi went off well. I was operated in November 7, 2019, and the rehab kicked-off thereafter. To achieve milestones, you need to be patient. So far I am happy with the progress and need to work more on getting back my strength.

I need to make a special mention of Mumbai City FC for hosting me for a month in Mumbai after my surgery and providing me with all I needed. It’s quite unheard of that a rival Club hosts the rival team captain for the rehab. At times I felt their medical team paid more attention to me than their wards (smiles). I will stay eternally grateful to them forever.

And of course, Gigy-Sir (Gigy George) and Pratik (Kamble) have been constantly on my rehab.

Has this phase made you mentally stronger?

Not quite.

I have had a serious injury before as a 17-year-old when I broke my ankle, and was out of action for around a year. I strongly believe that the mental strength of a footballer is never tested to limits for his prowess on and off the field.

I have been to hospitals and have seen people fighting for their lives. To me, that’s mental toughness. I feel I am extremely lucky where I am going through a phase where everything is being taken care of. I have a job with a club. I am lucky. Not all are.

Could you elaborate?

(Takes a deep breath). You look around and you will witness so many unfortunate kids lying paralysed. They are fighting. I salute their mental strength. You see people fighting for their lives in hospitals you understand how lucky we are.

Those are the people who are mentally stronger. There are people living on the roads, not sure whether they will ever get to eat their next meal. Yet they go on, and earn. That’s mental strength.

I am not sympathising with them at all. But that’s what real fight in life is all about. There are people who have been infected with deadly diseases, yet their will to survive for their families keeps them going. In sports, you are never tested to such limits.

When can your fans expect you to get back into action?

(Smiles again) If I had a choice, it would have been tomorrow itself. But I know it’s better to come back stronger than sooner. The process of recovering from an ACL injury is slow, and I need to be careful and not rush.

Going by the book, a player usually takes 6-9 months to come back. But at the same time there have been cases where a player has come back in 4 and a half months. Unfortunately, I will miss the entire season of the ongoing Hero Indian Super League. But there’s always the next time.

giridharan
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9281 Points
    I am still to verify this, Sandesh Jhingan has a Canadian PR or some sort of residency permit there. Also why does he hide the fact that he has a kid and is engaged to a Russian for some time now?
    goalkeeparmohammed_87hassanSoccerloversparta
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    Probably because his age is fake 
    haritrams24
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10440 Points
    edited January 2020
    Celebrities/Sportsmen have right to privacy.

I don't think it's necessary for us to know who he is married to or how many kids he has.  There is no problem if he doesn't want to share his personal life and keep it a secret.
    athi_bheekaranRonnyBrainFallINDIAdeepusouravindiagiridharan
    More importantly, his close friends say, he is actually a Candian citizen. 
    munna219777goalkeeparharitrams24ashindia
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    A person with Canadian PR is still Indian Citizen. It is just like US Green Card. Indian Passport but an additional document claiming Permanent Residency.
    All Tennis players like Leander Paes, Bhupati, do have Green Card of USA but did not convert it to citienship as that would bar them from representing India. Even Vijay and Anand Amritraj after so many years.

To travel abroad with Indian national team, passport is required. Khingan has to show Indian passport, cannot posess Canadian one. India disallow having passport of two different countries.
    Probably Canadian PR due to marriage or something like that.

giridharanSoccerlovergoalkeeparkartik91indian_goonersparta
    That's the thing, his close circle says he is Canadian citizen. Question is as Canada allows dual citizenship, it may not ask you to surrender your Indian passport before you get a Canadian passport. I could be wrong, but will find out what's the deal. 
    munna219777Soccerlovergoalkeepar