Bala Devi

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    India’s first woman professional footballer got 80 minutes on the field, and even though she didn’t add her name to the scoresheet, she did enough to impress.

“She had a good game for 80 minutes and was the last to be substituted. This is a good beginning for her. She can only get better,” said her representative Anuj Kichlu..

The match was initially scheduled to kick off at the natural turf ground but inclement weather with fears of snow meant t he match had to be pushed indoors. Bala – handed the No. 10 jersey -- knew she would be handed a start and did well not  to get overawed.

Nagendramunna219777
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    That's quite a clear assist. I wonder why more isn't being said about her. Great start by her though.
    munna219777
  • NaujawanNaujawan 1609 Points
    That hug turndown was rough
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    That seems to me like a no look turndown. I doubt it is intentional. It is general to approach and celebrate with the Goal Scorer rather than the Assist provider. We will see how they will react when Bala Devi scores her first goal(in the next match) ;)
  • clever and quick. very well played.
  • RonnyRonny 10441 Points
    Why isnt this in the Indians abroad thread?
    edited February 2020
    Bala Devi started the match for Ranger's Women in the opening group game of the SWPL Cup against Queen's Cup. She was subbed in the 57th min, and had a shot on target which was saved by the opponent goalkeeper. Ranger's beat Queen's Park 3-0

(Annika Meuskens produced a good save on the 20th
     minute to deny Rangers a second as Sonia O’Neill found the run of Bala Devi but the strikers’ shot was blocked well.)

https://rangers.co.uk/news/women/report-rangers-3-0-queens-park/

Indian striker Bala Devi says match-time for Rangers FC adding 'immense value' in quest to become better footballer

Indian striker Bala Devi says playing in the high-quality Scottish Women's League is an opportunity she wants to "grab" and "make the most of at any cost."

"This is an opportunity which I have to grab, and make the most of at any cost," Bala said.

Having started in both the matches for Rangers FC in the league, the Indian national team striker feels the experience can help her become a complete player and give a clearer picture of where she stands.

"From a player's perspective, every match adds to your confidence. And here we are speaking about matches in the Scottish Women's League. Such matches add immense value in your quest to become complete as a player," she said.

The 29-year-old joined the club on an 18-month deal after a successful spell on trial at Rangers in November.

"It gives you that confidence that you are as good as a player you thought yourself to be and that you can do better. It's not everyone who is able to push oneself this far. It motivates me to further improve," she was quoted as saying by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).

The development makes Bala the first Indian woman to become a professional footballer anywhere in the world and she also became Rangers' first Asian international footballer.

Asked what is special in the training sessions at Rangers FC, she said, "The training sessions are very intense. I can feel myself improving all the time. The level of training and the constant support structure at the club is pushing me to further evaluate myself as a player."

She went to Scotland as the top scorer for the Indian team, netting an impressive 52 times in 58 games since 2010, which also makes her the top international goal scorer in the South Asian region.

"The facilities here have been quite amazing. The training centre is equipped with all support facilities including the gymnasium and the rehab centre.

"Getting match time after all the hard work in training sessions adds to your satisfaction, and makes you hungrier for more."

"It's been such a sweet beginning. Playing club football at this level is kind of a dream come true for me the tempo is much higher."

She said the teammates at Rangers FC have been extremely supportive.

"Their warmth made it easier for me to settle down. They have been exceptional, extremely supportive and friendly.

"Despite six of us being from various nationalities, I am the sole one from Asia. I find them curious to know more about India.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/indian-striker-bala-devi-says-match-time-for-rangers-fc-adding-immense-value-in-quest-to-become-better-footballer-8098431.html

munna219777NagendragiridharanCarbon_14
    Bala Devi was dropped to the bench in Rangers's match against Hamilton. She was brought in as a sub in place of Hay in the 69th min.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/women/swpl-cup-accies-0-3-rangers/