Online Chatting

Comments

• the problem is not many fans for the club in our forum. so long term maintain is a problem.
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
  • Happy Holi to all members
    thebeautifulgameDeb_Ban
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10440 Points
    Hey FM players got a message from someone on twitter 

I am about to recruited to the Football Manager team as an Assistant Researcher soon. The job is not finalised yet and i maybe too early to request this from you but do you know any FM players who might be interested in this part-time job which will help Indian Football get represented on FM in more depth and would also help the Indian Football Manager research team. Thank you.

We need more people. If you know anyone who atleast plays the game we can take it from there

You can refer this thing 
    See a Nation or League Not listed here? Read for instructions on how you can still get involved - Available Research Roles - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

Do let me know if any of you are interested 

• samsam 16425 Points

Bantering has gone up it seems
    giridharanDeb_Banindian_gooner
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    I league 2 started no one cares 
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    Which thread to check?
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29216 Points
    I have re-posted the results of I-League 2 that were posted by @haritrams24 in 'I-League 2022-2023' on 13th March in the 'I-League 2nd Division' thread

From now on, we can post the results plus discuss other topics regarding I-League 2 in that thread
    goalkeeparindian_goonerDeb_Ban

'They are out of their minds': Inventor of mobile phone isn't as happy seeing people use it

Imagining a life without mobile phones seems impossible today. A lot of us spend most of our waking moments with the device in our hands. Social media has taken our obsession with the mobile phone to a whole new level. Many of us have our eyes glued to the screen for a major chunk of the day. This is exactly why the inventor of the mobile phone himself is "devastated" by his own invention.

Martin Cooper, an American engineer dubbed the "Father of the cell phone", says everyone is a "little obsessed" with mobile phones today.

"I am devastated when I see somebody crossing the street and looking at their cell phone. They are out of their minds," the 94-year-old told AFP from his office in Del Mar, California.

"But after a few people get run over by cars, they'll figure it out," he joked.

But Cooper is one to see the bright side of things and says mobile phones hold immense potential and will one day be able to "revolutionise education and healthcare".

"In the future, we can expect the cell phone to revolutionize education, it will revolutionize healthcare. 

"I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but I want you to know within a generation or two, we are going to conquer disease."

Cooper wears an Apple Watch and uses a top-end iPhone. He tests almost every new phone model but confesses that it is all becoming a little too much.

"I will never, ever understand how to use the cell phone the way my grandchildren and great-grandchildren do," he says.

https://www.wionews.com/technology/they-are-out-of-their-minds-inventor-of-mobile-phone-isnt-as-happy-seeing-people-use-it-577210

Please read this in conjunction with this article, particularly the prophetic words of Dostoevsky:

How Would Dostoevsky Have Responded to the Smartphone?

“I don’t know how to make friends without my phone,” a teenager told me last summer when I found myself enforcing a policy banning screens at a student seminar I was helping with. 

I was a little surprised by this line of reasoning, but I’ve encountered it more than a few times since from teens complaining about not having a smartphone or not being allowed to use their device at school.

I get it. Life as a teen is a bit awkward and phones help resolve that awkwardness. But while screens temporarily ease awkwardness in social situations, their effects on the whole may be considerably less positive. Increased screen time has been associated with higher levels of depression and social media appears to have a negative impact on mental health with an ironic tendency to generate greater feelings of social isolation. 

This uptick in depression was observed several years ago by San Diego State University professor Jean Twenge. Writing for the Atlantic she observed,

The advent of the smartphone and its cousin the tablet was followed quickly by hand-wringing about the deleterious effects of “screen time.” But the impact of these devices has not been fully appreciated, and goes far beyond the usual concerns about curtailed attention spans. The arrival of the smartphone has radically changed every aspect of teenagers’ lives, from the nature of their social interactions to their mental health. 

The proliferation of digital technology has created an interesting paradox: devices that were designed to connect people have coincided with increasing rates of isolation, with nearly half of Americans reporting feelings of loneliness. Gen Z, the generation that has grown up immersed in a culture of communication technology, has fared the worst.

It turns out that this paradox of isolation and connection is nothing new. Fyodor Dostoevsky observed a similar trend in his own day. In Dostoevsky’s work, Brothers Karamazov, Father Zosima describes the isolation of Russian society in the late 1800s: “We are assured that the world is becoming more and more united, is formed into brotherly communion, by the shortening of distances, by transmitting of thoughts through air.” 

Do not believe them, he tells us. According to Dostoevsky, the seeming connectedness of Russia at the time was only a thin veneer covering the reality of a deeply isolated and lonely society. Another character in the book explains:

[Isolation is] that which is now reigning everywhere, especially in our age… For everyone now strives most of all to separate his person, wishing to experience the fullness of life within himself, and yet what comes of all his efforts is not the fullness of life but full suicide, for instead of the fullness of self-definition, they fall into complete isolation. For all men in our age are separated into units, each seeks seclusion in his own hole, each withdraws from the others, hides himself, and hides what he has, and ends by pushing himself away from people and pushing people away from himself….

Even with innovations that were meant to connect people, people had withdrawn into themselves, each “seeking seclusion in his own hole.” If this was the case in Dostoevsky’s time, how much more so today? 

Increasing digitalization frequently leads to decreased human contact. Scholar Chris Allen observes, “While we desire human contact, digital alternatives are often cheaper than everyday acquaintances. This has resulted in more and more aspects of our lives becoming digital by default, which has subsequently reduced our opportunities for everyday social contact.” 

This is not to say that technology is evil, or that it has not helped to connect people across distances. But it is important to keep in mind that digital connection is not a replacement for actual investment in the lives of other people. Dostoevsky described the isolation of his own day as “horrible” and “unnatural,” and saw the increase in isolation as a move that would move to a destruction of the individual as well as society. As isolation increases, is it time to heed Dostoevsky’s warning and stop separating ourselves and pushing one another away?

https://intellectualtakeout.org/2019/04/how-would-dostoevsky-have-responded-to-the-smartphone/