I-League in Asian Champions League

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points

@ashindia cant agree more ,.... AFC is failing miserably to make a platform for upcoming teams to grow with their lack of plaanning and poor structuring of tournaments

• @Shankar I like the idea of yours with play-offs but how would you implement it. First off how would you do 2 things...

1) Get a team from say Bhutan to Iraq or even Japan for a game?

2) How would you fit it in to the schedule? The AFC Champions League is a one-year league not 2012-13 format. It starts in March and ends November. You cant start it in January because that is when the AFC has their international tournament in. February cant hold the rest of the teams from small nations.

And a extra question/statement...

Europe.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > @Shankar I like the idea of yours with play-offs but how would you implement it. First off how would you do 2 things...

2) How would you fit it in to the schedule? The AFC Champions League is a one-year league not 2012-13 format. It starts in March and ends November. You cant start it in January because that is when the AFC has their international tournament in. February cant hold the rest of the teams from small nations.

Europe.

december is free and can hold first round.... and also i am not saying all countries be given a chance in ACL
    say have around 24 spots for direct entry on basis of league standards of countries(say betweeen top 10 countries).... then remaining 8 spots be held by having play off between say 12 -16 countries...

they got december to hold first stage of play off.... then main play off round for entry to ACL be held on feb... will be possible i guess
  • > shankar said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > >
    @Shankar I like the idea of yours with play-offs but how would you implement it. First off how would you do 2 things...

Europe.

>
    >
    december is free and can hold first round.... and also i am not saying all countries be given a chance in ACL
    say have around 24 spots for direct entry on basis of league standards of countries(say betweeen top 10 countries).... then remaining 8 spots be held by having play off between say 12 -16 countries...

they got december to hold first stage of play off.... then main play off round for entry to ACL be held on feb... will be possible i guess

That could actually work. So top 10 get automatic while the the leagues ranked 11-16 play in the play-offs. This could very well work.

• > Ashlesh said:
    > scrape president cup expand acl and afc cup more a like European cups 

FUCK EUROPE! There! I had to bloody shout it out. I dont get this fascination with Europe. The only reason they are so successful is because of the footballing culture there that even the smaller countries have. Look at Bhutan for example... where is their footballing culture and then look at San Marino where football is one of the most played sports. 

Also I dont see where this idea of the UEFA Champions League giving a chance to smaller nations. Look at the leagues that were in the play-off rounds and group stage of this years league.... all those leagues would pass AFC guidelines if they were in Asia. Also I dont see how the current ACL has no surprises. A fucking Qatari club won the tournament in 2011 after beating a South Korean club... how is that not surprising at all? A club from bloody Thailand DEFEATED a J.LEAGUE side. Again, that is very surprising.

Also about the AFC Presidents Cup... why get rid of it. It actually allows for more games. Clubs from Mongolia, Bhutan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nepal would be knocked-out in 1 round in the AFC Champions League qualifiers and play only 2 games and done. The AFC Presidents Cup allows them to play more and give them more hope that they can actually win something. Getting rid of it would be a horrible idea.
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

The CEO of the I-League elucidates asto how India missed out on the crucial play-off spot in the Asian Champions League...

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2012/12/04/3576551/afc-executive-committee-voted-in-favour-of-the-suggestions

• munna21977munna21977 2 Points
    edited December 2012

> Ashlesh said:
    > so maldives clubs are now in east zone 

hmm why not Indian clubs 

Geographically also, Goa and Calcutta are more east then Maldives. I guess AFC has taken it as a cost cutting exercise. Airline tickets are much cheaper for Gulf countries rather then flying to places like Indonesia, Vietnam, Hong Kong. Clubs from Tajikistan are a welcome surprise-First time I am seeing them.
    :P

• kshitij USFCkshitij USFC 250 Points
    edited December 2012

AFC CUP EAST ZONE

GROUP E

Kitchee

Singapore Armed Forces

Semen Padang

CHURCHILL BROTHERS

GROUP H

Tampines Rovers

Selangor