who gets relegated

Comments

• silicon3silicon3 351 Points

> Ashlesh said: > ill prefer club like salgaocar getting closed coz out of all 3 clubs salgaocar have very less promotion in recent few years

at least people like dempo sporting bring schools to the stadium but salgaocar zero 

it will be better if they close down and spend that money on some constructive work 

You cant ask a club to close beacuse they dont promote themselvesin school.. its like closing a long established institution because they dont put advts in  teh magazines and newspapers even when teh market is ware of its histry and quality.

the criteria to judje should be well balanced and cnsider overall factors

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

I have a feeling Arthur Papas' 'philosophy' is well read by other coaches and that is why only at initial days Arrows got success, after that is going down and down...this is the first time this has happened in the 3 seasons of arrows. Normally they start really bad, then start picking up, esp. do well at the end of the season with experience.

I know Papas being a fan favourite (yes he updates in facebook!!!) this comments wont go well with people here, but I have been looking at the team from its first ever game 2 seasons back, the trends are diffenitely opposite this time. 

when i say this, the counter argument is 'results not important, system is'. YES I agree, but even at the moment I am not sure we can really go ga-ga over the system, they way the backline plays is really bad, worse ever backline. Why did they leave Prathamesh at this moment of crisis? Surely, there is more into it. The biggest achievement of this team is midfield and wing play, that I totally agree. This is a system to be improved upon, but if AIFF cant retain coaches for more than a year whats the use?

P.S. I have nothing against Papas, what I am arguing is that -
    1) AIFF needs to keep such coaches for long term and if it cant its no use, in 1st season they learned Bulpin's techniques, 2nd season they carried on Bulpin's techniques but under Sukhwinder and later changed tactics via Bann, then 3rd season Papas, who knows what comes 4th season
     2) Papas seems to be overrated and doesn't have a magic wand, the U-22 sucesses follow a long tradition of India's youth teams doing well. The change of system has been hard for players, and they haven't really been transformed as many would suggest.
    3) Ideally I would like him to be with the team for 2 more years. Anyways when he joins another i league club, we will all know his worth 
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited April 2013

I dont think you are looking at this the right way. Keep in mind that the summer of 2012 was really the "rebuilding" of Pailan Arrows. From the sad squad of the 2011-12 season which also included many overaged players to this season which has almost brand new players who have never came close to playing at the professional level before.

Also keep in mind that technically this is a youth team. Like all youth teams in the world only 2-3 players will come out as talents (the class of 2010-11 being an exception). Look at the Arsenal youth teams. Arsenal's youth won the youth league and youth cup in the 2008-09 season but almost 4 years on and only 1 player has actually made it while 2 still stand with a 5% chance. Aston Villa's U21s won the European U21 Club Championships 2 days ago but I can only see maybe 3-4 of those players ever making it to the Premier League.

Same at Pailan. From the group we have, I can only see Soram Anganba, Milan Singh, Alwyn George, Holicharan Narzary, Pritam Kotal, Shaiju Mon, Narayan Das, and Seminlen Doungel actually making the national squad or making it at the bigger clubs. And honestly, for a youth team, 8 players is a great return. 

And in reply to your main complaint. It is simple. The rest of the I-League teams got settled after 3-4 rounds of the I-League, realized that Pailan were only a bunch of kids, and ran out. Also dont blame the style. These kids are probably playing this style for the first time in there lives. It is completely foreign to them and since they are already 18-21 years old it will take longer to adjust. Also you have internal affairs.

So I would not put this on Papas. He has done a great job. There is more to Arrows than what meets the eye.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

this batch i no less experienced...in fact one expects more from them, given many spent 3 years in the system, played afc u-22, 2 seasons of i league. in fact first 2 seasons were where they were more raw

• > rudra said:
    > this batch i no less experienced...in fact one expects more from them, given many spent 3 years in the system, played afc u-22, 2 seasons of i league. in fact first 2 seasons were where they were more raw

In the most recent match against Mumbai FC only 3 players out of the 14 that played were regulars in the I-League this season and last season (Soram, Shouvik, and Milan). Devrani just came back from yet another injury. Kotal, Narzary, Seminlen, and Alwyn only started seeing playing time more regularly this season while the rest were either in the first year at Pailan or are still from time to time type of players. 

I do not see how we can expect more from them. A draw against Mumbai in Pune while dominating them for the majority of the game is pretty good for a "youth team". 
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points

Indian football courts UAE cash

Companies to be invited to stump up around $36.8m for an I-League franchise

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/indian-football-courts-uae-cash-1.1166045

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > rudra said:
    > > this batch i no less experienced...in fact one expects more from them, given many spent 3 years in the system, played afc u-22, 2 seasons of i league. in fact first 2 seasons were where they were more raw
    >
    >

In the most recent match against Mumbai FC only 3 players out of the 14 that played were regulars in the I-League this season and last season (Soram, Shouvik, and Milan). Devrani just came back from yet another injury. Kotal, Narzary, Seminlen, and Alwyn only started seeing playing time more regularly this season while the rest were either in the first year at Pailan or are still from time to time type of players. 

I do not see how we can expect more from them. A draw against Mumbai in Pune while dominating them for the majority of the game is pretty good for a "youth team". 

When u are comparing compare the same with the other seasons...compare the experience players had in season 1, 2 and 3, how long they have been with arrows, how many times they played international matches, how many domestic matches etc.

Alwyn only started seeing playing time more regularly this season" - What is this supposed to mean, he has been a regular since his first game against Dempo
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited April 2013

Alwyn only came in towards the end of last season. This is his first full-season in the I-League. As for comparing the experience they have I will repeat what I said originally: How much time have they spent playing a style that Papas wants out of them?

In the 2010-11 season it was the good old long-ball of Bulpin while the 2011-12 season was the same with Sukki and Sujit. The difference between what Bulpin preached and what Papas is preaching is huge and at the age these guys are right now it is very hard to change that.

For example, yesterday I watched the full-match between Pailan Arrows and Mohun Bagan and other than the fact that I am sure that Holicharan will be a beast in a few years I noticed many problems with the way the players were playing. For example, some touches the players took on the dribble were way to hard and eccentric. That should have been fixed at ages 14-16, not 18-21. Also stupid decisions like Shouvik Ghosh's when he decided to try and head the ball to Soram instead of control the ball and smash it up the pitch (or better, control, get around the forward smartly, and pass your way out). What was the result, a Bagan corner which only a minute later resulted in Bagan taking the lead. 

These things should have been taken care of a long time ago. Players there age should not be making poor decisions like that or having poor touches like that. Again it all stems down to the youth development we have in India. 

It does not matter that Milan Singh has played 40 games in his career in I-League or that Sunil had has all this professional experience at international or domestic levels, if the player is not taught proper grassroots at a young age then it should be no surprise that teams like Pailan Arrows are playing the way they are now.
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited April 2013

> rudra said:
    > I have a feeling Arthur Papas' 'philosophy' is well read by other coaches and that is why only at initial days Arrows got success, after that is going down and down...this is the first time this has happened in the 3 seasons of arrows. Normally they start really bad, then start picking up, esp. do well at the end of the season with experience.

I know Papas being a fan favourite (yes he updates in facebook!!!) this comments wont go well with people here, but I have been looking at the team from its first ever game 2 seasons back, the trends are diffenitely opposite this time. 

when i say this, the counter argument is 'results not important, system is'. YES I agree, but even at the moment I am not sure we can really go ga-ga over the system, they way the backline plays is really bad, worse ever backline. Why did they leave Prathamesh at this moment of crisis? Surely, there is more into it. The biggest achievement of this team is midfield and wing play, that I totally agree. This is a system to be improved upon, but if AIFF cant retain coaches for more than a year whats the use?

P.S. I have nothing against Papas, what I am arguing is that -
    1) AIFF needs to keep such coaches for long term and if it cant its no use, in 1st season they learned Bulpin's techniques, 2nd season they carried on Bulpin's techniques but under Sukhwinder and later changed tactics via Bann, then 3rd season Papas, who knows what comes 4th season
     2) Papas seems to be overrated and doesn't have a magic wand, the U-22 sucesses follow a long tradition of India's youth teams doing well. The change of system has been hard for players, and they haven't really been transformed as many would suggest.
    3) Ideally I would like him to be with the team for 2 more years. Anyways when he joins another i league club, we will all know his worth

In terms of wing play, i think in many matches he was mainly using right wing..this really predictable for the opponents...defense has been a worry for them,couldnt see much improvement till now...Yes, Papas may be overrated,but he is the right man in India at present to do this job...With the rumours that arrows will be closed down next season & aiff mainly concentrating on the academies,guessing most probably they might appoint an Indian coach next season
  • But he is not overrated. He is actually really good and the change in style by Pailan is evident but the problem is that these players are only getting a style change now. There are many mechanics to what Papas wants that should have been addressed at a lot younger age. Until we fix that we will never be successful with the "passing style" or whatever you want to call it.