2012 Federation Cup

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
edited August 2012 in Federation Cup

Indian top-club football is back! We start with the Federation Cup in September (Qualifiers in August). If the format is the same as last time then it should be the 14 I-League teams + 2 Qualifying teams to make it a 16 team event.

Now according to the Times of India the tournament Final Round shall be held in Siliguri (Kanchenjunga Stadium) and either Assam or Orissa. The Semi-Finals and Final shall also be in Siliguri.

Also according to the Times of India the qualifiers will involve all 22 I-League 2nd Division teams from 2012 who ful-fill the club licensing criteria, so expect that number (22) to drop a lot. Also no question on whether HAL SC or Chirag Kerala will play in the Federation Cup. Chirag Kerala is rumored to be 100% disbanded and HAL is a brand new team (players).

Now according to the AIFF schedule released in June (via Arunava Choudhury) the qualifiers would start in August while the Federation Cup proper would start 15 September to 30 September. However the Times of India said on 15 August 2012 that the Qualifiers would begin 2 September and that the Federation Cup proper would begin 20 September. Will have more updates on the first post when given.

Comments

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited August 2012

Federation Cup: Clubs refuse to play in violence-hit Assam 

PANAJI: The All India Football Federation has been forced to look at an alternate venue for the Federation Cup after several clubs objected to playing in violence-hit Assam. 

• shankarshankar 2600 Points

My format for 2012 federation will be 

September 2-16 qualifiers
    where out of 22 teams , best 6 teams qualifies to final round

september 20 - october 2nd week

The 20 teams will be played in 4 group of 5 teams
    and top 2 from each group goes to knock out stages(8 teams)

Now let the I-league begin and at the time they have a huge mid-season break after which the players gets rusty shall we have the knock out stages, which is around january

Somewhere in january
    Quarter finals
    semi finals 
    finals

This structure will help us giving a good knock out competition and also the season dont look vacant in between of the season too
  • Good format. Only problem would be the number of teams in Qualifiers. It is not confirmed 22. They need to pass club criteria and most of them I guess will fail. Who knows how many teams will be in qualifiers. The only one confirmed is Aizawl FC. 

I wish the AIFF just selected the best teams from the select state leagues. Nagaland, Mizoram, Goa, Calcutta, Delhi, Shillong.

Nagaland (3): Barak Flamingoz, Naga Tornados, Dimapur United

Mizoram (3): Aizawl FC, Luangmaul FC, FC Kulikawn

Goa (2): Vasco SC, Margao FC

West Bengal (2): Mohammedan, George Telegraph

Delhi (1): Delhi United FC

Shillong (2): Royal Wahingdoh FC, Ar-Hima

Bangalore (1): HAL 

That is 14 teams all together who could pass the club criteria easily and possibly made this better quality and pan-India.
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points

you missed SESA Academy from Goa who fulfill all the criteria

None of the Nagaland teams fulfill the criteria at this stage , and Delhi United is a joke , HAL cannot fulfill criteria either

You have missed out on the strongest team in the 2nd Division this year , Dodsal FC

• > gaffertape said:
    > you missed SESA Academy from Goa who fulfill all the criteria
    >
    > None of the Nagaland teams fulfill the criteria at this stage , and Delhi United is a joke , HAL cannot fulfill criteria either
    >
    > You have missed out on the strongest team in the 2nd Division this year , Dodsal FC

I want to see what Dodsal FC can do on the pitch first. Notice how all these teams are the top teams in there state leagues. Lets see how Dodsal handle Mumbai first IMO. Also Delhi United could pass, Academy, champions of there league, contracted players. They probably wont pass most of the criteria but we need a Delhi team. HAL would only be invited because they were in I-League last season. Same for Chirag Kerala but I dont know if they exist anymore.

SESA FA, I purposely left them out due to them not really being a club but Academy. If AIFF really did this I bet they would add SESA.

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > gaffertape said:
    > > you missed SESA Academy from Goa who fulfill all the criteria
    > >
    > > None of the Nagaland teams fulfill the criteria at this stage , and Delhi United is a joke , HAL cannot fulfill criteria either
    > >
    > > You have missed out on the strongest team in the 2nd Division this year , Dodsal FC
    >
    >

I want to see what Dodsal FC can do on the pitch first. Notice how all these teams are the top teams in there state leagues. Lets see how Dodsal handle Mumbai first IMO. Also Delhi United could pass, Academy, champions of there league, contracted players. They probably wont pass most of the criteria but we need a Delhi team. HAL would only be invited because they were in I-League last season. Same for Chirag Kerala but I dont know if they exist anymore.

SESA FA, I purposely left them out due to them not really being a club but Academy. If AIFF really did this I bet they would add SESA.

I dont think the clubs like Dodsal or delhi united could get entry as only last seasons 2nd division entrants would be allowed i suppose..
    but would be interesting if they are allowed
  • No but I mean like start over. Using I-League 2nd Division teams should not really be the only criteria. Specially since it is not really a league. We should classify state leagues and rank them and tell them how many teams are allowed in Fed Cup based on that. Only top state leagues can send teams... almost like AFC Champions League.

• @Ashlesh That was before. Now its just an Academy and while it is one of the best Academies in India it is an Academy. The Federation Cup should include actual club sides who are not ready yet for I-League 2nd Division or for clubs from a state with to many I-League clubs from that state who then dont get a chance.

As for Delhi. While I do believe Delhi United is good enough I do agree about the league as a whole. I actually want AIFF to start what the AFC did which is have a 10 state plan in which they select 10 states and they work with those states primarily and try to get them to good standard. I would say West Bengal, Goa, Nagaland, Mizoram, Shillong (To lazy to spell state), Maharashtra, Delhi, Punjab, Kerala, Karnataka.

Set objectives for what we want from these states and try to achieve them and then make the Federation Cup into the same format as the AFC Champions League in which only select states that pass criteria may play in Federation Cup. Hopefully it could build initiative as well.

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited August 2012

AIFF representative should visit Guwahati first: Ankur 

All India Football Federation vice-president Ankur Dutta today said that the AIFF should first study the ground situation in Assam before taking any decision on whether the Federation Cup should be held in Guwahati or not next month. 

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > AIFF representative should visit Guwahati first: Ankur 
    >

All India Football Federation vice-president Ankur Dutta today said that the AIFF should first study the ground situation in Assam before taking any decision on whether the Federation Cup should be held in Guwahati or not next month.  >

The most important advantage of this tournament in assam will the fans following of these matches...
    The fact that some of top clubs of the country would be playing in football crazy region is enough to get full house.....i hope the security is provided to the best and the clubs are convinced of the fact and cup proceed in assam rather than same places where people dont value federation cup or for whom watching top teams is nothing special