Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/rajyavardhan-singh-rathore-aiff-indian-super-league-isl-2017-18-i-league-merger-indian-football/1/1118135.html

Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore recently faced questions in the Rajya Sabha about the latest developments into AIFF's merger plans of the Indian Super League and the I-League.

India football has been dealing with the uncertainty related to the merger of I-League and the IMG-Reliance backed Indian Super League since over a year now.

A merger that was supposed to happen before the beginning of the current season was postponed because AIFF could not work out the logistics and lay out a plan in consensus with all their stakeholders.

Along with the difficulty in planning out the roadmap for Indian football, the momentousness of the FIFA U-17 World Cup being hosted in India for the first time and the work that comes with it, took the centre stage in the year.

AIFF, however, assured that the merger will happen soon and a deal was struck with Asian Football Confederation (AFC) in order to seek more time to work out on the matter.

In the latest developments of the issue, Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore confirmed in the Rajya Sabha that a merger is on the cards.

The issue came up in Rajya Sabha when a Bengal based MP, Ritabrata Banerjee, questioned the government if the two leagues would be merged next year.

"AIFF along with all its stakeholders has planned to restructure the club football model in India wherein there would be one unified league at the top followed by lower division leagues namely, League 1 and League 2 in line with global best practices," Rathore informed.

He further added that AIFF is seeking help from FIFA and AFC in order to implement the plan soon.

"AIFF has taken the help of FIFA and AFC for smooth implementation of the aforesaid plan," Rathore added.

However, there is no confirmation as yet if the relegation-promotion factor has been put in the plan -- something that has been a point of bother for most of the clubs.

Social media has constantly been abuzz with debates over which out of ISL and I-League is better for the development of football. While the purists believe that I-League clubs have far more connect with the fans and it celebrates the true passion of football, others are of opinion that ISL has brought back interest in the game for the Indian public and with money and glamour flowing, it is on the line of where the modern game is headed to.

With the onset of the current season, ISL has been accused of being drab and not delivering the quality of football that it promises. I-League, on the other hand, has managed to maintain their passion and quality despite losing almost all the top players of the country to the ISL.

Also, I-League matches are being played and telecast in the time bracket of afternoon so as to facilitate the prime time slot of the ISL, something that has bugged the I-League supporters.

With constant debates and disagreements over the two leagues and with the division of fans and passion among the two, it is only for the better of Indian football if the next season brings with itself one unified top league.

Ashkaul5munna219777Deb_Banashindia
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    "With the onset of the current season, ISL has been accused of being drab and not delivering the quality of football that it promises. I-League, on the other hand, has managed to maintain their passion and quality despite losing almost all the top players of the country to the ISL."

It's been far from drab and the I-League has moments but overall it hasn't been that exciting.
    atuljgshubham_northeasternmohammed_87hassanDXdeepakc
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Rathore Saab confirmed in Rajya Sabha that the merger is on the cards. Cards is not any confirmation. Also it is not in the hands of sports ministry. 
  • indianFootballFanindianFootballFan India4496 Points
    We will have ISL as top division with no pro/rel and League 1 and 2. 
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    It is just a routine QA session. No pressure on AIFF on unified league. Just MPs showing that they care. This issue 'on the cards' was to be sorted out right after U17WC. AIFF do not have any intension for that. I think their strategy is to kill IL slowly with minimum marketing and maximum bad-scheduling; and then take MB-EB to ISL form IL and designate the remnant as League 1 (unfortunately, the league refuses to die, and is showing energetic show on field and good crowd in the stands).

Anyway, it is good for Ritobrata Banerjee to at least raise the issue in Parl, though it is not for them to sort it out. It is AIFF's domain (and they are independent on this), and FIFA/ AFC. But none seem to be interested. Slow death to I-league it is then.
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    "It's been far from drab and the I-League has moments but overall it hasn't been that exciting."

I would like to put it this way--I-league has been very exciting, definitely much more exciting than the ISL this season...The ISL has failed to live up to expectations this time around although it has had its moments

Just my opinion...not speaking as an I-league or ISL fan
    goalkeeparmunna219777
  • samsam 16430 Points
    Like it or not, merger will happen from ISL 6. Not before that. 
    munna219777
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    Am actually astonished they discussed football in the Rajya Sabha. Or was it a sarcastic report
    Deb_Ban
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points