Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• RatulRatul Howrah1323 Points
    Glad to know that  ;)
  • @Ratul, because it is India. Sportsman have no job security. Not everyone is chhetri, GSS. 
    Now vineeth ck has govt job. i m vijayan has govt job. 
    What about those who are not in top league. Forgotten and poverty
    Deb_BanthebeautifulgamedeepuashindiaBrainFallINDIAsouravindiamunna219777sparta
  • RatulRatul Howrah1323 Points
    By saying professional footballers, i only meant players playing in top league(s). 
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7111 Points
    Yea as if opportunities are everywhere with the current league structure situation . If you ever get to talk to a player you will understand . 
    sudheermylankalindian_gooner
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Many East Bengal players have Government Jobs. How long is his playing season for East Bengal in Calcutta ?? Cant he manage both ? is he staying 365 days a year at East bengal ?
    Subhash Bhowmick was managing his job as Excise officer with Central Government   at the same time when he was Coach at East Bengal.
    spartaindian_gooner
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29261 Points
    Thailand has invited China and india for a round Robin friendlys in which Thailand will play both india and China, and india will play both Thailand and China, China has accepted the invite, india has not confirm. Most likely aiff, Constantine will reject this to save the ranking.
    munna219777ashindiatrojanBrainFallINDIACarbon_14sanvedjadhavmohammed_87hassandeepuSOCCER4klspartaand 2 others.
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Which dates ?? After this gruelling season, most Indian NT players will be hoping for some Rest for now.
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    http://www.sportstarlive.com/football/indian-football/the-long-road-from-sevens-football-to-super-cup-final/article23611526.ece

Ubaid CK - The long road from Sevens football to Super Cup final

At 27, Ubaid CK finally got a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity of making it to the big stage in the I-League with Kolkata giant East Bengal. He has made it count so far.

For Ubaid CK, it has been a long wait to make it to the big leagues of Indian football. The goalkeeper from Kannur had an uncertain career, mainly due to nominal wages or lack of playing time.

In 2012, he spent a season on the bench as a back-up option to the then India internationals Subhasish Roy Chowdhury and Laxmikant Kattimani.  

From there, he played for four seasons shuttling between Air India and ONGC in the Mumbai Football League.

It was during his time at Air India that he caught the eye of the then Mumbai FC coach Khalid Jamil.

Then, at 27, he got a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity of making it to the big stage in the I-League with Kolkata giant East Bengal.

“It was a couple of years back,” Ubaid recollects, “After my season with ONGC, I returned home to play for FC Kerala in the Kerala Premier League on loan. I didn’t think I was making enough money to support myself or my family. But, they didn’t force me to quit playing the game.”

Breakthrough

After he signed permanently for FC Kerala, Ubaid got a call from Jamil, who took over as the coach of East Bengal.

The Kolkata giant already had three goalkeepers in its books, but the I-League-winning manager wanted Ubaid as his number one.

"I have never faced such pressure in life than at East Bengal. Here, you have pressure from fans, the management and the coach. Thankfully, I have not made a mistake, yet, to rub them on the wrong side."

Moreover, Kerala FC was reluctant to let go of its number one and it took a lot of convincing from Ubaid's side for him to finally get his desired move.

“When we were at a training camp in Koraput, I received a call from Khalid. He asked me if I could come to Kolkata for a trial as the club was in need of another goalkeeper,” says Ubaid, who made his foray into football through Kerala’s Sevens Football.

However, he could sign for the club only in the January transfer window on a loan move.

He played his first game on January 30 against Minerva Punjab at the Salt Lake Stadium. Since then, he has made 10 consecutive starts for the club – seven in the I-League and three in the Super Cup, managing four clean-sheets.

Feeling the pressure

So, what is the pressure like when turning up in a Red and Golds shirt? 

“Phew! I have never faced such pressure in life than at East Bengal. Here, you have pressure from fans, the management and the coach. Thankfully, I have not made a mistake, yet, to rub them on the wrong side,” says Ubaid.

Ubaid considers his Super Cup final opponent Bengaluru FC as a “big challenge.” He will need to keep the likes of Sunil Chhetri and Miku, who have between them 37 goals this season.

“If we have to beat them, we have to really sweat it out there. In their last game against Mohun Bagan, they scored four goals with 10 men! The coach will be putting together video footages of their team for us to look at,” says the former Dempo player.

What will he do if Chhetri gets the ball on the left and decides to curl one into the top corner? “I will need to catch it! I am 6ft 2in. Let’s find out,” he says.

munna219777Carbon_14indian_gooner
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29261 Points
    @munna219777 not sure about dates but its in may.
    munna219777
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7111 Points
    Oh comeon AIFF, we gotta play in this tourney.