Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points
    http://www.goal.com/en-in/news/indian-football-aiff-futility-super-cup/1lcywg2oflkwl157v68aa5nxjn

Indian Football: Future of Super Cup hanging in the balance

The Indian FA mull pulling the plug on the cup competition involving both I-League and Indian Super League teams...

The viability of the Super Cup was discussed at length when the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) League Committee met in Delhi on Wednesday.

After a lacklustre first edition where many key players were missing from participating ISL teams, the credibility of the competition was questioned from its very onset. At the meeting, the members of the League Committee acknowledged that the concept of the Super Cup needs some serious revision. 

"We discussed about the Super Cup and we have spoken at length about it. Some of the ISL teams were not serious about it. But some I-League teams took it as a challenge. We have not reached a decision but we agreed that there must be a review of the viability of the Super Cup. Is the time and money spent on the tournament worth it? The champions of Super Cup have no value as they do not get any continental spot. So it needs to be reviewed," said a top-ranking official on condition of anonymity. 

More than half of the participating ISL teams had registered less than the full quota of six foreigners. 

Former Jamshedpur FC and newly-appointed ATK head coach Steve Coppell had termed it a ‘nonsense’ trophy while Chennaiyin FC’s John Gregory revealed that his side had another name for it! Moreover, the clubs had no motivation to fight for the silverware as there was no significant incentive for the winners. 

"Even the Federation Cup winners were entitled to a spot in the AFC Cup which made sense. A tournament does not make sense just because I-League and ISL clubs wanted to participate on the same platform. That doesn't make sense. It did not happen during the course of the season. It happened at the end of the season. There is a risk of players getting injured. The foreigners are itching to go home. The Super Cup must be reviewed," he added. 

Although a formal conclusion is yet to be reached, the future of Super Cup seems to hang by a thread. 

indian_goonergoalkeeparmunna219777atuljgCarbon_14ashindia
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29251 Points
    Last season I league club domination proving I league is better then ISL has badly hurt AIFF and its master IMG-R, that's the reason super cup will be shut down from next season.
    sudheermylankal
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Circus wants to be strictly circus, no road trip like Super Cup.
    Any motivation for AFC Cup Mr Chennaiyin FC ? or that is also waste of time !!!
    goalkeeparatuljg
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    Yes, Super Cup is too risky for IMGR. Better to stick to the circus.
    goalkeeparmunna219777
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    Chennai already strengthening squad for AFC Cup
    Asian search also began 

Expect them to do well
    atuljgCarbon_14[Deleted User]sudheermylankal
  • Why everyone think Cfc will take it lightly or is it because it's ISL team? 

Aizawl sold almost entire squad 
    Minerva did same 

So that's not bothering anyone that it will hamper afc campagien ?
    Nobody said anything 
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    Our teams should focus more on AFC and ACL,
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    CFC have a more settled side and making some smart moves for squad depth.

Aizwal dismantled all their saleable assets as soon as there value was up after I-league win.

so why and where is this not serious thing comes up?

also let’s be frank super cup concept last season was poorly conceived