Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    @giridharan I see myself in you bro   :# ..This was my comment 8 years ago when I joined this forum..
    "1.There's a SHORTAGE of quality strikers in our Indian team.Now, this is a SERIOUS ISSUE.Most of d I league clubs have d 2 places filled by foreign strikers.So AIIFF should bring a rule to make it mandatory for d clubs to have atleast an indian striker in d PLAYING ELEVEN

2.AIFF should see that all d INDIAN TEAMS [india u13,u16,u19,u23,senior team]should play in d same style of play and also appointing d coaches for d teams who implements d particular style.There was a case in d armando colaco period when junior teams including u23 playing long ball system & senior team-short pass style."
    giridharan
  • samsam 16428 Points
    How the hell you guys find such old comments? You need to be really good with your searches. 
    giridharan
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    Recently I read the " Suggestions for Indian Football" thread. Thats the reason why I remember it.
  • samsam 16428 Points
    edited September 2019

Manvir Singh will be our next No. 9: Sunil Chhetri

Gurpreet Singh Sandhu's heroics might have helped India hold Asian champions Qatar to a 0-0 draw in Doha, but the man of the moment for Indian captain Sunil Chhetri was Manvir Singh

.The Jalandhar lad replaced Chhetri in the playing XI, leaving an indelible mark on him. "Manvir was so, so good against Qatar. He is definitely one of the players for the future and he will soon be our next number 9," said Chhetri who has netted 72 goals for India and missed the tie due to high fever.

"He has everything in him to become a fantastic striker and the way he played against Qatar was pleasing to see," Chhetri said. 

Manvir stormed into the limelight when he scored a brace in India's semifinal clash against arch-rivals Pakistan at the Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka in the SAFF Cup last year.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/football/top-stories/manvir-singh-will-be-our-next-no-9-sunil-chhetri/amp_articleshow/71117846.cms?fbclid=IwAR0Jr0V3M04zKWGXwdqEjDc3hnaJ-5WTFSL1VAuMJdPCCZ_ehB_rdvf9gwI
    atuljgAbhishek
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    I think the theory behind the inflated number of foreigners allowed in Indian club teams was the assumption that a team consisting of majority Indian players will not be able to play good, attractive football and that foreigners (even random African ones) play better football and thus will raise the standard of game. It was also the argument of our federation (even many fans at the time ISL started) that more and better foreign players will attract the interest of fans to domestic football, especially those fans who used to follow foreign leagurs like RPL, La Liga etc. This is in turn will increase stadium attendance and generate more revenue for clubs. Additionally they also gave the argument that Indian players will learn a lot while playing alongside and against quality foreign players. Because of all these arguments ISL cam up with the 6 foreigners rule at the start while abolishing the asian player quota to accommodate one more "quality foreigner". At that time many fans (especially on this forum) also advocated increasing the number of foreigners so that quality of football can get better. But before criticizing these arguments we must remember the background in which these arguments were made - This was the time around 2014-15 when the club football in India was at its worst. Mahindra had already shut shop, JCT was gone, Pune FC was suffering, Indian clubs used to sign random Nigerians, Ghanians, and players from other African countries...these players were strong physically but not technically (but still technically better that Indian counterparts), the league games used to take place at 2 in the afternoon in front of empty stands on sub-standard pitches, the football style of most clubs was to use long balls from defence to strikers, no passing play....in fact the footballing standards of our league was beyond abysmal! In this background ISL came in and these arguments about increasing foreign players' quota were made. Now 5 years later fortunately the situation has improved in some aspects - clubs generally play a more passing game, Indian players in general have improved their footballing abilities and can compete against foreigners, infrastructure is better, quality of foreigners is definitely better....So now of we feel foreign players needs to be reduced then we can do it. But understanding the background is important.
    Abhishekgiridharan
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    If an Indian guy is talented enough he will come up irrespective of how many foreign strikers are there in the squad. 

Also why is Sunil going gaga over Manvir, who couldn't even shield the ball against Qatar? Probably he is in agency.
    Carbon_14indianfootysudheermylankalgoalkeepardev_pfcAbhishek7negigiridharandeepu
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29259 Points
    Manvir is from Sunil agency, Igor wanted to play balwant as I posted in this forum before match but was blocked by chattri. 
  • I believe we should follow the AFC tournament norm of allowing 3+ 1 (AFC quota) foreigners on the field at any given time! This should give more chances to Indian players. 
    And yes, Manvir should look for another club, he will ,sadly, get wasted at FCG! 
    munna219777Passigiridharankartik91