I-league news

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    Apart from comrehensioability, Hindi commentary suffers from poor quality. This is true for Bengali commentry as well.

For example, Jeje gets a ball inside the box, and the commentator goes (translated): "Jjejjje!! In front of the goal -- brilliant player, only twenty seven years old, blablabla coming from the Eastern hills of Mizoram state, blablabla good skills he has in combination with a strong body -- Gooaaal!! Now watch it in the replay (because the goal happened some two minutes ago and the play is about to resume).

It is not mandatory that TV commentators describe every movement, but they (well, regional commentators) tend to blabber irrelevance in crucial times.
    munna219777AKBthebeautifulgame
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29261 Points
  • samsam 16429 Points
    Yes, I agree, Hindi commentators are worst. Even Arabic ones are better. 
    gaffertape
  • deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    I have all 4 channels +star select also 
    Will I league be shown there? @Deb_Ban

• debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    No one knows for sure
    munna219777
  • athi_bheekaranathi_bheekaran Some where in Singularity1092 Points
    It's all speculations as of now...!!
    munna219777
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    @deepu, hopefully IL will not be on an obscure STAR channel. In that case, with four channels your probability is high.
    munna219777deepu
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    @Deb_Ban: Completely agree with you about the regional commentary....Most commentators in Bengali (and Hindi too) are high on the emotional front and often lose focus on what is happening on the pitch....some of the commentators in English too are not entirely free of blame...Novy Kapadia, for example, has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game but his reeling off statistics after every 5-10 mins creates a jarring impression...he might know his history of Indian football well but his mentioning the names of legends like Sudhir Karmakar, Md. Habib and Akbar at the drop of a hat often do not add to the quality of his commentary....over-elaboration is a bane, not a boon, in the commentary of any sports
    I remember reading somewhere Harsha Bhogle's experiences as a commentator...at the time he was starting out as a commentator, Bhogle said, he received a very important lesson from Geoffrey Boycott...after describing a certain incident on the cricket field, Bhogle was trying to elaborate it further...Boycott gave him a cold stare and simply said, 'The moment has passed.' That, I guess, is the crux of commentary...how to speak, what to speak and when to speak in a limited span of time
    munna219777DXindian_goonerDeb_Ban
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Command over language and style is important. Henry blofeld comes to my mind. Richie benaud was fantastic. Harsha bhogle started at all India radio and India had a good tradition or standard of radio commentary. Now in last 2 decades with the onset of private channels, quality has gone a toss. They hardly distinguish between play-by-play commentary, analyst or sideline reporting not to mention the lack of native proficiency in both English and Hindi.
    Carbon_14PrakashK
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    Indian commentary is really pathetic. The problem is that the commentators are not seeped in a football culture like England.
    Most of them have come from a DD sports background where they are forced to comment on all tom dick Harry sports too.

You need to love the game and have a high level tactical understanding of the game or basically describe the action and not put yourself in the shoes of the player and assume what he did which more or less is what I see is happening. 

I know ISL is dedicated to English commentators and rightly so but if it could bring a couple of Indian commentators as well due to a longer duration and possibly multiple matches at the same day they could come up the curve.

The worst combo ever combo ever witnessed recently is Suman and Noel Wilson, Can't get worse than that and hope they build on top of those two.

The way the action is described is what makes TV viewership stick with your product.

munna219777