India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
    We should really focus on women's hockey..we hv a chance fr bronze....mens hickey I feel will be difficult....badminton again apart from singles we should really back 2 quality doubles/mixed doubles....
    Nagendrakartik91
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Sorry Deepak,no chance for women's Hockey at all.We will do excellent to finish in top 8.
    Men's Hockey can be a surprise where Realistically we shd be looking at a top 6 position bcoz some of the major teams wouldn't qualify for Olympics.
    Spain,South Korea,Pakistan will not be in Olympics.Moreover Newzeland need to win their regional tournament haowever Australia is there. So that means if Newzealand dnt win and Australia wins that tournament ( 80-90%) likely than Newzealand won't qualify as well.
    This opens the gate for India to finish in top 6 .
    deepakc
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    Mens Hockey: Gold will go to Aus for sure. India needs to beat the other European heavy weights to have a shot at a medial. But with frequent changing and chopping of coach it will be difficult for India. 
    footydip
  • deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    I see gold going in Netherlands way , they will be just too good for all others
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6471 Points
    if we have to win a medal.. need to alteast defeat one of these teams.. Aus/Holland/Germany
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited October 2015
    Realistically speaking, we have no chance for any medal in Hockey. Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Great Britain are just too good. In todays hockey, no team can be taken lightly but I dont think India can finish anywhere higher then 6th position. Last time we were 12th.

Teams qualified: Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Spain, Great Britain, Belgium, Australia, India, Germany, Netherlands. South Africa will qualify and Ireland will qualify if Australia wins Oceania cup.

@deepakc ; In Womens Hockey, we are not at that level. I will be happy to see India at 9th place at the most. The only teams we are capable of defeating on good day are Japan, South Africa and USA. Rest all teams are far far superior. We are one woman Army: Rani Rampal. But I am proud that they have reached the level of being Olympian.
    deepakcfootydipreddevil87samiamshibier
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Shiva Thapa loses his semi-finals and settles for bronze.However, Thapa now faces the boxer who lost in the other semi-finals. The winner wins a ticket to Rio olympics.Its basically a box-off as top 3 boxers in this category will secure a ticket to Rio.In my opinion he has a great chance as his opponent is a boxer from Belarus(not a Boxing power house) but with new scoring system nothing can be certain. Still Thapa shd win.
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    @Bad ; They all are Powerhouse. Belarus is also a Former Soviet Republic. What happens there is that if a Sportsperson do not get a chance in Russia squad, he will try his luck at any other ex-Soviet Republic. All those countries have similar Sporting /coaching environment.In SemiFinals Shiva Thapa lost to Uzbekistan Boxer only.
    deepakc
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Munna,any one can beat anybody but Soviet Union got divided in many countries out of which Latvia,Estonia,Belarus etc arnt really Boxing powerhouses.Uzbek,Kazak,Russia and Ukraine out of the independent countries are the real power houses.Saying that,Shiva can be beaten but surely he shd start as the outright favourite.
    deepakc
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Hey guys!!!! Shiva Thapa has lost his 3-4 place box-off.Thus,he doesn't get the Olympic quota just yet.Hopefully,in future tournaments he can assure himself a quota place.All the best to him and other boxer's.
    deepakc