Indian Football Transfer News 2016-17, Rumours, Gossips, Signings, ISL 2016

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30200 Points
    At the moment he is moving from injury to fitness :p...On a serious note, the report below might indicate that he is indeed making such a move
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/not-the-churchill-brothers-we-fondly-remember/articleshow/56159910.cms

Not the Churchill Brothers we fondly remember

Marcus Mergulhao| Updated: Dec 25, 2016, 01.04 PM IST
    Representative image

Representative image
    Panaji: Early one morning at the Ambelim ground, about 30-odd players try to catch the eye of coach Alfred Fernandes.

Some try to shoot from a distance and catch the goalkeeper off-guard; tough luck, the ball ends up outside the small compound. Others simply dribble their way past markers and the rest do their own bit - composure, for example - to prove they are worthy enough for a place in the squad.

Churchill Brothers Sports Club's unexpected return to the I-League means there will be at least one team from Goa in India's premier football competition. But on the evidence of what we saw during a friendly against Goa Police the other day in Ambelim, this could well be a shadow of the team we fondly remember.

"It's difficult to prepare the team because I won't get the Goa Pro League players (from other teams) till January 1. We need (more) quality players, otherwise it will be difficult for us," admitted Alfred, who is likely to make way for Nigerian coach Joseph Afusi in the new year.

Churchill Bros have carved a fierce reputation for bringing in the best foreign players to India. Starting with Percy Mwase in 1996 during the inaugural National Football League (NFL) to the likes of Yakubu Yusif, Edward Ansah, Osumanu Hussein and, who can forget, Odafa Okolie, Churchill have always been powered by a strong foreign force, but for now all that they have is Bektur Talgat, a Krygystan midfielder who is struggling to cement his place in central midfield and may not even be among the chosen ones when the I-League kicks off.
      Of course, when the new year dawns, Trinidad and Tobago striker Anthony Wolfe will arrive in Goa, but nobody knows if he is in decent shape. Talks with Nigerian defender Loveday Okechukwu - last season with Sporting Clube de Goa - has hit a dead wall because of Churchill's well-documented budgetary constraints and another Nigerian striker who had reportedly arrived in Kolkata for trials with Mohun Bagan has been asked to prove himself, at his own cost.

Compare this with Mohun Bagan, who Churchill Brothers will play in the I-League opener on January 8. They have Darryl Duffy, Sony Norde, Katsumi Yusa and completed their foreign quota with the signing of defender Eduardo Ferreira from FC Pune City.

"I think we will have a team that will be highly-motivated. I am not scared about the consequences. All that I know is that a decent performance against Mohun Bagan can prove to be a great boost," said Alfred.

From among the Indian players, Alfred is likely to register not more than six players from his current Goa Pro League squad, while the other spots will be filled-up with newcomers.

Brandon Fernandes (Mohun Bagan), Keenan Almeida (FC Goa), Raju Yumnam (FC Pune City), Priyant Singh, Aniston Jensley Fernandes (both Dempo SC), Seriton Fernandes (Sporting Clube), Rowilson Rodrigues, Richard Costa (both FC Bardez), Surabhuddin Malik (Peerless) and Kingsley Fernandes (Vasco SC) are among those who have agreed to join Churchill, but, will that be enough?
      Not good signs for a club that has won the I-League twice...signs of unprofessionalism all around

deepakc
    • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10481 Points
      Malsawmfela was playing in Chennai Local League last year it seems
      ArsenalFan700
    • deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
      Only in PP's dreamland can 3 clubs be asked to come up with top pro sides in 20 days. I am pretty sure CB doesn't even have a sponsor onboard yet...this is not at all surprising...tge best club in goa is Salgaocar at the moment and they were a mid table side last year
      thebeautifulgame
    • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
      Wills Plaza has been confirmed by East Bengal Samachar, which is an official social media platform of the club. 
      Carbon_14footydip
    • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30200 Points
      Wiki is very tricky :D
      BrainFallINDIADeb_Bandeepumunna219777samiam
    • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29722 Points
      Azwal sign Eze Kingsley Obumneme
      deepakcCarbon_14
    • RonnyRonny 10497 Points
      Fat and old Fela makes a comeback to I league..very interesting! As an age cheat he had great results with the junior India teams..lets see how things shape up now for him
      thebeautifulgamegoalkeepardeepakc
    • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29722 Points
      he must be 37-38 by now.
    • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
      At this age, even a normal non sportsperson doing regular Graduate School or job is not fat. How come these Football players become so much out of shape? He is supposed to be 23 years old.