East Bengal in I-League 2016-2017: the Red and Gold Brigade’s Quest for the Holy Grail

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points
    Many people are going gaga over Plaza...yes he is a good player, but he is not extraordinary...he has an eye for goals, a 'fox in the box' as repeated on TV for the umpteenth time by Novy Kapadia, but then so was Ranti Martins...he has got some good touches but he seems to be a kind of 'soft' player who does not like to go for every ball or crunching tackles...of course these are early days...let's see what Payne brings to the table
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Payne should not bring any PAIN for East Bengal fans aspirations this season.
    karenesudhakar2050
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    So Arnab Mondal was on the bench for East Bengal today apparently. I guess we should soon see Mondal back in the starting 11 partnering with Ivan and Gurwinder relegated to the bench?
    gaffertape
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    I wouldn't bring Arnab back unless I have to. He has made consistent mistakes in crucial moments in last two I-League seasons for EB and as of now Gurwinder is doing the job. 
    Morgan should focus on using the plentitude of attacking options at his disposal better. With the attacking men we have, if used wisely, no I-League team can hold us back for too long. 
    ArsenalFan700
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Agree with that. Don't mess with what is working I guess.
  • deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
    Eb is unable to play a high line only bcoz of gurwinder....he needs to go or eb will rue a near title miss again....
    sudheermylankal
  • RatulRatul Howrah1323 Points
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Arnab Anwar Ivan are all equally slow or worse, don't blame Gurwinder alone. We need to better use the left flank and bring in Romeo Jacki David in second half by subbing Nikhil if he isn't having an extraordinary day.
    sudheermylankal
    Giving Ruidas a look-in if he is fit is another option...no doubting his talent....Rahul Bheke played well the other day but he might be replaced by Robin Gurung if he is having an off-day

East Bengal FC practice session

I-League 2017: East Bengal vs Shillong Lajong Preview - Unbeaten leaders face-off against bogey team

East Bengal FC practice session

Swapnaneel Parasar

14-Feb-2017 19:40:14

Fresh off the Kolkata derby draw, the league leaders come up against Lajong who were not kind to Trevor Morgan on his return to the side last season..

After having somewhat passed the fanatical pressure test to draw goalless in the Kolkata derby against Mohun Bagan on Sunday, East Bengal now need to pass the statistical battle come Wednesday in Siliguri when they host Shillong Lajong in the last round of the first leg of I-League season 2016/17.

Perched pretty on the top of the table with 20 points, the Red and Golds enter the halfway mark of the league still unbeaten with six wins and two draws. They also boast of the joint best defensive record having conceded just three along with Mohun Bagan.

READ: Thangboi Singto left unhappy with scheduling of training session

However, if statistics and recent history had to have it, East Bengal have been vulnerable right after playing the I-League derby. In the last six instances, they have only won once that too against minnows Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

To add to the pressure of reversing notions, the opponent they face at the Kanchenjunga Stadium will be no less of an anathema. After Biswajit Bhattacharya resigned post a 3-1 away defeat to Bengaluru FC at the fag end of last season, Trevor Morgan was ushered in once again after his three years at the club in the early part of this decade.

Trevor Morgan's first game in charge in his second innings at East Bengal was at Shillong away and a one-nil loss followed a Federation Cup humiliation. They were ousted in the first round itself, once again by Lajong as they lost 2-1 away and drew 2-2 at home - two losses and a draw for the Kolkata side in their last three meetings.

The Briton would be eager to reverse the record and will be boosted by the availability of their new Aussie signing Christopher Payne. The striker will feature in the second half as Morgan will decide to go with the same lineup from two days ago.

On the flip side, Thangboi Singto's side after a poor start with a trio of away losses got their campaign back on track with four wins on the spin at home but were beaten 1-2 by DSK Shivajians at their stomping ground in the last round.

They are on the road again and Lajong would not like to be termed as poor travellers as they pose a serious challenge sitting fourth on the table with 12 points.

Former DSK man Aser Dipanda has racked up seven goals in eight games to lead the goalscoring charts and will look to continue his form. Having named the same lineup for five consecutive matches, Singto is sure to bring in a couple of changes but has remained mum on his choices.

Kick-off is at 4:30 p.m. IST (GMT +5:30) at the Kanchenjunga Stadium.
    munna219777