Premier League Soccer - General Discussion

Comments

• I think the franchisees who are paying rs 12.5 crores plus similer amount of money for ownership, will not hesitate to put in a few more crores towards infra upgradation to assure higher returns. Problem will be finding quality indian players beyond i-league players. 3-4 good foreigners alone will not make a good team.

I dont think players matter to them. Its all about money for PLS. As long as they have those players like Robert who can draw a huge crowd then they could just choose random university team indians.
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    The Indian football revolution - PLS

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1010006/john-duerden:-the-indian-football-revolution?cc=4716"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... on?cc=4716</a><!-- m -->
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    The kids selected would not be random. Do not think they are idiots. While sponsors ensure that they fill their coffer, to keep the riches flowing, they need to make a strong team. I am happy that I-league players are not included. I do not want the same bunch here. This tourney could act like IPL for football, unearthing new talents. The young players will be from the different academies in Bengal, NE and TFA. Who knows we might find some exciting players. 2-3 of them will be U19 playing on the field. It is a good thing to increase the pool of players
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    The Indian football revolution - PLS

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1010006/john-duerden:-the-indian-football-revolution?cc=4716"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... on?cc=4716</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    good one ,...it almost covered all questions i wanted to be answered by the top officials of the league
    Quaranta said he would have had to play two or three MLS seasons to earn as much as he'll make during the short Indian calendar. (His 2011 salary with United was about $115,000.) The elite players in the Indian league will receive a base salary of $600,000.
    WASHINGTONPOST

Are we paying them too much? At least some of these players are surely overpriced. This might be dangerous if the money spent is not recovered
    We can't expect stadiums in Howrah and Haldia to be of international standards but our priority is to get good pitches. We have started working on the stadiums to upgrade the playing pitches which I can assure will be world class by the time the tournament gets underway
    CMG to INDIA TODAY
  • Somesh: Yes I do think the organizers are idiots. Again I will use the Major League Soccer and A-League as examples. Those leagues like PLS have the big glamor players (MLS has Henry and Beckham for gods sake) yet unlike PLS these leagues have good stadiums with ok players. PLS is still behind and that will lead to these star players get angry and soon ending there contract early. Just last MLS season Henry complained about the artificial turf and was close to leaving MLS. Luckily the MLS and Red Bulls renegotiated with Henry and he stayed. In PLS it will be hard to convince these players to stay. Expect millions of complaints.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    Well, PLS is not the best of options (if we have the luxury of having options in the first place). But, it is taking ages for I-league to mature (professionally run league, 16 teams in two levels, evening matches on weekends, live telecasts, city-based clubs, fan base, so on), in spite of having IMG-R on board. I am really fed up. We need a definite push to unsettle this calmness. PLS is THAT push, and in spite of all its limitations, PLS is the nearest to our wish for Indian football.

I foresee a conflict between CMG and IMG-R, because CMG will want to push PLS beyond Bengal which will irk IMG-R who is empowered by AIFF to start new (franchisee-based) leagues. That will bring in turmoil in Indian football like in Hockey, but it will be still better than nothing happening.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    Well, PLS is not the best of options (if we have the luxury of having options in the first place). But, it is taking ages for I-league to mature (professionally run league, 16 teams in two levels, evening matches on weekends, live telecasts, city-based clubs, fan base, so on), in spite of having IMG-R on board. I am really fed up. We need a definite push to unsettle this calmness. PLS is THAT push, and in spite of all its limitations, PLS is the nearest to our wish for Indian football.

I foresee a conflict between CMG and IMG-R, because CMG will want to push PLS beyond Bengal which will irk IMG-R who is empowered by AIFF to start new (franchisee-based) leagues. That will bring in turmoil in Indian football like in Hockey, but it will be still better than nothing happening.
    i agree with that probable clash of two sport promotion group fighting for the prominence ..ya that is definitely a possibility but i dont know whther they could grow beyong bengal as the power of IFA would be restricted by aiff and even ifa know that on breaking the limit they may face some severe action against them
    and for your information the WSK of IHF is doing no good for indian hockey just creating more unstability to hockey and i dont want football to be in any similar situation
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    i agree with that probable clash of two sport promotion group fighting for the prominence ..ya that is definitely a possibility but i dont know whther they could grow beyong bengal as the power of IFA would be restricted by aiff and even ifa know that on breaking the limit they may face some severe action against them
    and for your information the WSK of IHF is doing no good for indian hockey just creating more unstability to hockey and i dont want football to be in any similar situation
    What I mean is CMG may tie up with other state associations (I believe they are already in talks with Goa and Kerala FAs, and NEPL is a reality) and join the leagues later. PLS have AIFF’s blessings; so the other FAs have precedence, and AIFF cannot deny them their league.

Also, nobody wants turmoil (I am aware of the hockey situation), just hoping that the stronger group (in this case, IMG-R), emerges on top and are forced to start a Pan-Indian League