FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 & AFC Asian Cup 2023 Qualification

Comments

• RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    He cannot take those above mentioned players yet straight into the WC qualifiers..he could only take them for tournaments..Anas to me looks like a liability but he has team managements support so he will definitely be in the squad..I cant understand why Anwar Ali is always missing the cut
    Deb_Ban
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    All of this squad barely plays through the year! I mean they don't really play more than 20 matches in a year. I just hope Qatar and Oman doesn't cut us up to pieces. We need to just sit deep and defend against these teams. Our match fitness levels would never improve if the NT players are selected from a bunch who barely plays football.
    RonnySiVgoalkeeparsouravindiakartik91sudheermylankalmunna219777Passigiridharan
  • samsam 16428 Points
    https://m.timesofindia.com/city/goa/world-cup-qualifiers-have-come-early-but-we-can-handle-it-stimac/amp_articleshow/70793732.cms?fbclid=IwAR2VS0AtX1gVE2etHdAJlyV1oTzGyRUogDP1-7xHkX8BdGtBXtXBzPn0yi0

The general belief is that India have found themselves in a relatively better group with Asian champions Qatar being the toughest team…

I agree, but we need to be careful with our expectations. We need to be realistic. Our plan is to build a competitive team in the next two years which will play regularly at the Asian Cup and be among the favourites in Asia to qualify for the World Cup 2026 final stages. If there is a chance now (at the World Cup qualifiers), we will grab it with both hands. We are ambitious and looking forward to the qualifiers.

How do you look at the group that also has Oman, Afghanistan and Bangladesh?

Our group looks competitive and good, but don’t forget that we don’t have a good record against the opponents at either the senior or under-23 level. We have never won (competitive match) against Qatar and Oman. Bangladesh and Afghanistan too have always been difficult opponents for us. Against Oman, we played seven times and drew two games, both friendlies. We lost all five competitive games, so that tells you quite a lot.

Are there realistic hopes of making it to the next stage, particularly if we can finish as the second-best side behind Qatar?

Absolutely. Our first aim is to finish third (and remain in contention for Asian Cup 2023). I would have loved if Oman was not our first game. Maybe it’s a little too early for us (in the season). Our players have been off season for four months, but we should be able to handle it. Oman, as you know, are a strong team, very experienced, physical, with good speed upfront. It’s going to be difficult. Everything will hinge on the first game. This will define our position in the group and show us if we have something to fight until the end.

India play the first World Cup qualifier before the season has kicked off here. Are you worried that the players don’t have enough competition before the opening game?

That’s the biggest headache. The league is starting late and it’s too short. There are not too many games and the break is too long. We must do something to help the national team and the development of football.

You have opted not to play any friendly before the first match (against Oman), but a friendly before the next home game, a comparatively easier clash against Bangladesh…

There are a few reasons. We would lose three days of good proactive work on tactical points. Playing a friendly would also give Oman coaches some idea about our team. Our plan is to work behind closed doors and take Oman by surprise.

Since you took charge, India played five games in two different tournaments. Are you happy with the progress?

We are working mostly on changing the mentality of our players. I am quite happy they are responding. You can see that the attitude is changing; they are fighting even when they have their backs to the wall. You saw how we fought against DPR Korea in the second half, how we handled the game against Thailand (away). The first half against Tajikistan was impressive, but I want them to show that winning mentality for 90 minutes. Then we had a good draw against Syria.

You have introduced a new style of play with Gurpreet Singh admitting that he is no longer just a goalkeeper but an extra player and needs to use his feet a lot more. How difficult is it to introduce changes?

That’s the most difficult process. I am convinced more than ever that we have players of quality. We have many youngsters with great physical conditions. I am happy that the AIFF’s plans of forming Indian Arrows and boosting youth development have started to bear fruits. Starting with Udanta (Singh), Amarjit (Singh), Narender (Gahlot), (Lallianzuala) Chhangte, Sahal (Abdul Samad), Anirudh (Thapa), Raynier (Fernandes), Anwar (Ali), they are our future. But I need to make sure they have the space to play. As national coach, I cannot count on them if they don’t play in the league. That’s impossible.

India’s defeat to Tajikistan (2-4), followed by another disappointing result against North Korea (2-5), brought India’s defensive problems to the forefront. As a defender of big repute, how do you tackle this?

Injuries were our main problem. That was the reason why I brought Anas (Edathodika) back. I need to tell anyone with an Indian passport that they are candidates for the national team. My job is to monitor everyone. I don’t have too many of them. About the defence, I was obviously worried. Now it’s improving. Sandesh is working extremely hard to develop his game and become a great centre-back. We have some young players at the back. There are some old players but am not sure for how long. We need to survive this period until our youngsters grow up and mature their game. I am confident that in the future, Narender, Sarthak (Golui), (Salam) Ranjan, Anwar will be our men at the back, if they keep working.

You have blooded some young players but nowhere has the influence been noticed as much as in midfield where the trio of Samad, Anirudh and Amarjit has been impressive, even when playing together…

I don’t see (being young) a problem if they remain motivated. They will give me much more than any other player. Of course, we need experience. For example, at the moment, they are making too many silly fouls in dangerous areas. We need to cope with that problem, analyse and tell them how to behave in certain areas. This is not the league, it’s international football. You cannot allow yourself to make five fouls on the edge of the box. From five free-kicks, opposition will score two. I am quite excited to have them. Amarjit, Raynier, Anirudh, Sahal, they will be another strength of the Indian team in the future.

And Sunil Chhetri?

If he keeps working like this, he can play for another three years without any problem. He might be 35, but his body is like that of a 29-year-old. During all our tests, he is among the top five. His experience is precious. His positive energy and attitude with regards to the young players and everyone around him is exemplary.

munna219777Passithebeautifulgameatuljgkartik91indian_gooner
  • samsam 16428 Points
    I am confident that in the future, Narender, Sarthak (Golui), (Salam) Ranjan, Anwar will be our men at the back, if they keep working.

God save India
    goalkeeparmunna219777thebeautifulgame
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    That’s the biggest headache. The league is starting late and it’s too short. There are not too many games and the break is too long.

Is he criticising ISL ?
    thebeautifulgamegiridharansouravindiadeepumohammed_87hassanindian_gooner
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29629 Points
    edited August 2019
    @sam: As it is, we have relied too much on God and sometimes Sunil to save us on multiple occasions B)
    Deb_Bansam
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    What does Stimac mean the Oman game has come early? He cannot crib about match fitness when he could have started the NT camp almost a mo th back and atleast played local sides to develop fitness and staminate and fine tune tactics. He bloody started the camp barely 15 days before tge first match that too not at the same venue so as to help the team acclimatize better with lical conditions. This is his fault. He cannot crib now. And what is this nonsense about not playing friendlies to maintain "surprise"? Every international team uses video footages of opponents to gauge tgeir game. Whatever fantastic tactic Stimac may employ but if Omani coach is aware that Indian players do not press enough and pass the ball backwards most of time while our defenders leave huge gaps between themselves, then no strategy or tactic can save Indian team...even if Balwant Singh does learn to fly and score goals!! :P
    goalkeeparthebeautifulgamegiridharanmunna219777Carbon_14debarghya89Passiindian_gooner
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29629 Points
    TBH, this strategy of not playing friendlies to maintain the surprise element is naive to a fault. I have only seen some coaches use it in local leagues like the CFL . I don't think it was used even by Constantine.
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29255 Points
    I have got hands on the surprise package planned by Stamic with expert advise of Praful Patel and with technical guidance of Mr Dutta, Stamic is set to surprise Oman by playing Balwant as goalkeeper, while Gulprit will play lone forward, Nazary will play as CB, Jinghan has been sent to naval academy so he perfects his diving, as will be used to dive at Omani strikers feet with his head, at 70th min of the match if india is losing Sumit Passi will run nakid on ground to buy extra time, if India scores first then due of Gujinder Singh and Sanaj Singh will come and beat both the referees so that match is discontinued, while reliance will transfer money to dato where he will declare that as final score.
    souravindiagiridharanashindiaCarbon_14PassiindianFootballFanEastBengalPridemunna219777indian_gooner
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    Indian players match fitness suck because of long off season. 

I mean look at first 3 weeks of I-LEAGUE and ISL the standard is shit and pain for the wheat to watch.

This is what happens when we have league for 4.5 months and off-season for 7 months. 
    [Deleted User]giridharanDeb_BanCarbon_14munna219777