I-League 2019-2020 General Discussion.

Comments

• goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29252 Points
    @munna219777 most of them are in india, they have contracts till may 1st
    munna219777thebeautifulgame
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points

Coronavirus: I-League to remain suspended till April 15

The restart of I-League 2019-20 season will be further deferred to April 15 as the Government of India's Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports has decided to suspend all sporting activities in the country till April 15 in the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak.

The directive from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports read, "In continuation of this department's letter of even number dated 12.3.2020, I am directed to say that in view of the current COVID-19 Pandemic, all sports organization and their affiliated units are advised against holding any sports events, including competitions or selection trials till 15th April 2020.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/coronavirus-i-league-matches-suspended-till-april-15/1umgbhm0wsu5r10309cjgy70qp

I-League 2019-20 might not be restarted

It is likely that there will be no relegation and the current standings in the league table will be regarded as final...

The last fixture of the I-League 2019-20 season might have already been played, Goal understands. 

The All India Football Federation (AIFF) suspended all footballing activities initially till March 31, 2020. However, the Government on Thursday extended the date to April 15, 2020. The governing body is set to take stock of the situation in the last week of March, and take a decision abiding by directives from relevant authorities at that juncture.

All I-League matches have remained suspended from March 15, 2020, onwards. 

Recent developments indicate that it will not be surprising if the ball is not rolled again in this edition of I-League. With Mohun Bagan having already clinched the title and the AFC Cup slot to be taken up the newly formed side after the merger of Bagan and ATK, there is little to play for the top half of the clubs. Moreover, the AIFF could provide immunity from relegation to the team (Aizawl) that is currently in the drop zone. 

With the pressing concerns of all the stakeholders addressed, the Indian FA is likely to hold a meeting of its Emergency Committee at the end of this month where the decision to annul I-League will be duly ratified. 

The AIFF had been in constant touch with the clubs about the future of this season and 'most' of the entities have also shown reluctance to restart the season. Hence, in all likelihood, this edition of I-League seems done and dusted. 

The last fixture was played on March 14 between NEROCA and Chennai City in Manipur. The Kolkata derby, involving the arch-rivals Mohun Bagan and East Bengal, which was scheduled a day later has also been postponed indefinitely. 

Clubs such as Punjab FC have already asked their players to go home in the backdrop of the coronavirus outbreak. Now, if the season has to be restarted, the clubs will have to reconvene for a few matches which seems unlikely.

The only contentious issue is likely to be the distribution of the prize money. The second placed team is set to get a windfall of INR 60 lakhs, the third-placed team is entitled to INR 40 lakhs while the fourth-placed side will get INR 25 lakhs. But, with just one point separating teams placed second and sixth, it will be a bone of contention on how the prize money is decided for teams.

Also, Gokulam and Real Kashmir are placed sixth and fourth repesctively but have played a game less and it remains a challenge for AIFF to discuss with the clubs and reach a consensus on how to distribute the prize money.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/i-league-2019-20-likely-to-get-cancelled-mohun-bagan-east/1q4ij7fxk4me81o7zm9iddphvy

munna219777Carbon_14Passi
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Just distribute equally amongst all clubs. 
    dev_pfc
  • samsam 16428 Points
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    We should forget about the conduct of league. Winning the war on COVID is a bigger priority. Once the dust settles only, we can think of football again.
    deepak dedhaPassimunna219777ashindia
  • deepak dedhadeepak dedha Ghar2820 Points
    Glad I'll be working from home now amid coronavirus spread. Every one in the country need to take collective step even the sports fraternity. 
    PassiCarbon_14atuljgmunna219777ashindia

I-League: Club owners divided over restart of season

The latest directive from the Indian government to call off all sporting events and camps until April 15 in view of the COVID-19 pandemic has put the fate of the I-League in doubt. While Mohun Bagan has already won the League, there is still a lot at stake especially for clubs at the bottom of the table.

With 23 matches, including the Kolkata derby, to be played, the All India Football Federation (AIFF) has adopted a wait-and-watch approach before taking a call on the future of the season.

The clubs, however, are in a quandary and are not on the same page while deciding on the future of the League. 

The 2018-19 champion Chennai City FC’s domestic players were sent home earlier this week, while its foreign players are under self-isolation at the club’s home base in Coimbatore. “I am hoping the foreign players can also fly home this week,” said club owner Rohit Ramesh. Chennai City is currently placed seventh in the table with 21 points from 16 matches.

The side's AFC Cup group stage matches, too, have been postponed until June. Considering the several logistical issues in hand, Rohit is hoping the Federation calls off ongoing season instead of a looking at a delayed restart.

“Completing the rest of the fixtures in May-June will have logistical implications with respect to cost of hotels, travel, etc. Our expense will go for a toss. And players will want to stay with their families during this time and their health is more critical. I hope the AIFF consults with the AFC to arrive at a decision,” he said.

However, his opinion isn’t shared by other other other club owners. V.C. Praveen, owner of Gokulam Kerala FC, is hopeful of the league's restart in May.

“Things have improved but I am not sure what the future holds. If the league resumes in the first week of May, we will be able to finish the season. We only have 15-20 matches [23] to play,” said Praveen. Sixth-placed Gokulam has 22 points from 15 games and is in the hunt for a second-place finish.

Kerala was the first state in the country to record a positive case for coronavirus and the club is taking efforts to ensure the safety of its players by placing them in quarantine at the club facility in Kozhikode.

Aizawl FC players were in Punjab for a closed-door match against Punjab FC when the first government directive led to the suspension of the league. “On our return, the state government had asked us to put the players and staff under self-isolation for 13 days,” says Robert Royte, Aizawl FC's owner.

The club is currently occupying the relegation position with five matches left to play. “I am keen for the season to be completed. We have four home matches left and I am hopeful of a top-five finish. But now, the coronavirus situation is more important than football.” 

East Bengal has used this period to offer the players a mid-season break until March 31. Debabrata Sarkar, a senior official at the club, isn’t looking beyond April 15 and is hopeful of an end to the season. With its arch-rival having romped its way to the title, East Bengal, joint-second in the table, has only pride to play for with a win over Bagan in the derby.

Punjab’s owner Ranjit Bajaj felt his club’s facility won’t allow them to host matches in May. Punjab has had 2pm kick-offs for its home games all season since the Guru Nanak Stadium in Ludhiana does not have floodlights. “It will be too hot to play our home games at 2pm in May,” said Bajaj. Punjab, which shares the second spot with East Bengal, has four matches left this season including three home affairs.

Punjab announced on Thursday that it has allowed its players to travel home. Of the six foreigners, four have flown back home, while Aser Dipanda Dicka (Cameroon) and Kingsley Obumneme (Nigeria) had to remain at the club’s academy because their countries had closed their borders.

- Contracts might need re-working -

The clubs will also have to work their way around the contracts and the eligibility of the players if the league continues till the start of the summer transfer window. The player contracts are not uniform across clubs -- Chennai City has players signed on until June 30, while several clubs have deals until the end of May.

The FIFA and the AFC have decided to look into the need of amendments or temporary dispensations to the FIFA regulations on the status and transfer of players to protect contracts for both players and clubs and adjusting player registration periods.

“We will need to see if we could re-register those players or if we would need to bring in new players for that particular period,” Bajaj said.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/i-league-club-owners-divided-over-restart-of-season-mohun-bagan-east-bengal-chennai-city-aizawl-debabrata-sarkar-ranjit-bajaj-indian-football/article31118090.ece

sammunna219777giridharan
  • samsam 16428 Points
    The show must go on and end once this mayhem is over, even if that means playing with only local or academy players. That's the sportsman spirit. 
    giridharan