Daily dose of east bengal

Comments

• EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    EB topped Group C which had ISL clubs with "world class youth academies" like BFC and Delhi Daredevils.
    thebeautifulgamedeepuAshishKauldeepak dedha
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29710 Points
    https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/i-league-2018-19-alejandro-menendez-east-bengal/1dqt7cquqx2ov1ekidg1i9h2ut

I-League 2018-19: East Bengal likely to offer contract extension to Alejandro Menendez soon

Kolkata giants East Bengal are all set to offer head coach Alejandro Menendez a contract extension, Goal can confirm.

Speaking to Goal , Quess East Bengal FC (QEBFC) CEO Sanjit Sen said, “Currently, there is no deal on the table. This is a board-level decision, the 8-member QEBFC board will take the final call where I will also be involved. But we expect it to be very very soon because he will play a vital figure in team-building for next season."

Alejandro has done an impressive job as the head of coach of the Kolkata club as they are very much in the title race at the business end of the I-League 2018/19 season.

East Bengal have bagged the bragging rights in the Kolkata derby twice in the I-League by beating arch-rivals, a feat which is being repeated only after 14 seasons. The last time the Red and Golds won two back-to-back derbies, they went on to win the National Football League.

The league title has been elusive since the 2003-04 season but under Alejandro Menendez, the fans have revived their long cherished dream of winning the coveted trophy.

The Spanish coach has already become a darling of the fans and is enjoying immense popularity among the masses.

But the derby wins and the chances of winning the I-League trophy are not the only achievements of the high-profile Spanish coach.

The quality of foreign recruits the club have had in this season coupled with the quality of foootball the club is playing this season has certainly captured the attention of East bengal fanatics.

Menendez handpicked four foreigners this season. Midfielders Jaime Santos Colado, Antonio Rodriguez Dovale, Spanish defender Borja Gomez and Mexican striker Enrique Esqueda were all brought on board with the approval of the coach.

East Bengal

In fact several Indian players have improved in leaps and bounds since the Spaniard took charge of the club. The most notable transformation is that of striker Jobby Justin.

Justin is currently the highest goal scorer in the club in I-League also the third highest goal scorer in the league. He has netted eight times this season so far which includes goals in both Kolkata derbies.

Alejandro’s good work in India is being monitored by several clubs in Asia and Europe as well as in his native Spain. According to sources some of the clubs have been highly impressed with the Spaniard’s work and are likely to offer a coaching role next season.

East Bengal need to ensure that they sign an extension as soon as possible to waive off interest from foreign shores.

SamyajitBrainFallINDIA
  • SamyajitSamyajit Kolkata1246 Points
    I don't thing Alejandro would win the I league. Even then, I want that EB stick with him. It is necessary to have some continuity. Even Roca wasn't successful with Bengaluru in the 1st season but ultimately led them to their greatest successes. 
    thebeautifulgameDeb_Ban
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29289 Points
    Roca failed badly in I league but dominated ISL.
    DEFENCE123Deb_Banmunna219777karenesudhakar2050
    Exactly...Rome wasn't built in a day. I too think that chances of winning the I-League are very low this year. But that is not the coach's fault. He had to work with the system, the facilities and more importantly, with the set of players (with certain exceptions) provided to him by the club. But given time, he can address these shortcomings and work in tandem with the players and the team management to ensure success in the long term. It is certainly a salutary decision as it indicates a doing away away with the hire and fire approach in the appointment of coaches in Maidani culture and would ultimately prove beneficial to football in Bengal.

Alejandro's contract extension could have other positive aspects. As is well known, he has worked extensively with the youth setup at Sporting de Gijon and Real Madrid. He himself said in an interview that the club wants him "to have a look at youth players. They have a great academy, and as far as possible I will contribute all the experience I have in football. You have to try not only to sign players from outside, but also to improve the local players. I think a team or a club becomes important when those local players get better." If he can instill such a philosophy in the club and reduce the over-dependence on foreign players, he can leave a rich legacy at QEB as well as in Indian football
    Samyajitsparta
  • SamyajitSamyajit Kolkata1246 Points
    @goalkeepar lets not degenerate into yet another ISL vs I league debate. Roca did well in Fed Cup. 
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29289 Points
    @Samyajit that is not isl vs I league, its a true fact which I stated 
    Actually, Roca took over the charge of BFC in the 2016-2017 season when they were playing in the I-League. BFC had a poor season in the I-League and it was Roca's first stint as coach. Next year, Bengaluru FC entered ISL and BFC, under Roca's helm, was very successful. So, Roca did not get the chance of showing his mettle as coach in the I-League in that season.
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    He was also in charge of BFC when the won AFC Cup semi finals, wasn't he?