Daily dose of east bengal

Comments

• EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    The CB duo of Deepak Mondal and Mahesh Gawli was probably the best CB duo I have seen playing in EB colours. 
  • SamyajitSamyajit Kolkata1246 Points
    edited August 2019
    Sad that never saw them play together.The best I remember would be Gurwinder-Okpara. By that time though, Deepak had shifted to sideback.
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    edited August 2019
    Interesting article. A complete picture of the presence of Goan footballers in Bengal can emerge if we could find out how many Goan players played for MB ( with the exception of Francis D' Souza who played in MB, no other Goan footballer of any other Kolkata club is mentioned in the article) or other Bengal teams. Or is it East Bengal that the majority of the Goan footballers have played for?

@EastBengalPride: The backline consisting of Deepak Mondal, Mahesh Gawli, Suley Musah and Surkumar Singh was terrific in the 2003-2004 season. I remember Surkumar Singh scored some crucial goals in that season, including one in the derby
    Samyajit
    Subrata Dutta of AIFF has reportedly confirmed that the I-League would have 6 foreigners this season (as in previous years). With the international transfer window closing on 31 August, wonder what options the recruiters are thinking about. A forward/winger would be the best choice IMO. Of course, free players would be available after that but there have been reports that EB want to finalize their 6th foreigner within August before the close of the transfer window.

The defence has not gelled well. Both Borja and Crespi are in their 30s and are slow. However, Asheer Akhtar seems to be a great buy. In this interview (2:36-3:44), BFC Reserve coach Naushad Musah says that Asheer is very strong mentally and he is one disciplined guy. Both Carles Cuadrat and Sunil Chhetri were very happy about his joining EB. Sunil had said that this--his joining the Kolkata giant-- was the best thing to have happened to him

East Bengal-এর তরুণ ডিফেন্ডার আশীর আখতারের ভবিষ্যত নিয়ে কী বললেন Bengaluru যুব দলের কোচ?

(What did the Bengaluru youth team coach tell about the future of the young East Bengal defender Asheer Akhtar?)
    edited August 2019

A rousing video: Why East Bengal is a prized club - Surajit, Pasha, Renedy, Mehtab, Alvito & many more

One of the most inspiring videos in recent times--a plethora of stars--all former players of East Bengal, from different eras, different states and different countries, expatiating on the greatness of the club on the occasion of the centenary celebrations. As most of them reiterate, there is something magical in the Red and Gold jersey and the Red and Gold supporters--if someone is able to play 50% of his normal capability, the jersey and the supporters can make him play 100%. No other club in India, according to them, has this aura.

A former player Phalguni Dutta recounts an incident when he was returning through the tunnel after winning a match. A supporter met him and offered him Rs. 20, saying that this was his last resource. A bewildered Dutta asked him what he did for a living. The man revealed that he was a rickshaw-puller. Dutta said the it was on that day that he realized that what the supporters did--extreme adulation to extreme venting of frustrations--were occasioned only by their unadulterated passion for their club and no other motive. That is why a person could offer a player his only means of sustenance. Suley Musah said that the jersey that he was wearing was his mother club and it made him what he is today. In the future, if his children expressed a desire to play football, he would tell them to play for East Bengal. As former player Chandan Das succinctly put it, the Red and Gold jersey stand second in importance only to the Tricolour in his life.
    EastBengalPride
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    @Miki What happened? Your parents forgot to teach you some humility and respect? 
    thebeautifulgameCarbon_14DEFENCE123MikiPassiashindiaatuljg
    On the occasion of EB's centenary celebration, Anandabazar Patrika had published some articles--real nuggets of information--about the club: mainly reminiscences of players, officials, supporters (including legendary actors like Sabitri Chatterjee and music directors like Sachin Dev Burman). They are real treasure troves of information and would provide great reading. I had thought of translating (in brief) some of these pieces, particularly for the benefit of those who cannot understand Bengali.

But over the last few days, my father has been critically ill and has admitted in the CCU of a hospital. In this state of mind, I cannot concentrate on anything else at the moment. Still I will try to translate two of these articles which according to me best conveys the spirit of the club and its supporters in the coming days. Let's see if I can succeed in doing it.
    EastBengalPride
  • MikiMiki Kerala252 Points
    Accidently clicked unlike button, while reading from my mobile, Any way ....intolerance at the peak @EastBengalPride
    Passi
    Marcos de la Espada would reportedly reach Kolkata on Sunday evening. Since Marcos is in playing condition he is likely to be fielded in the CFL  EB is likely to announce the name of the 6th foreigner by the beginning of September. Alejandro may use the 6th foreigner and Marcos in the CFL instead of Jaime Santos Colado (who has been injured in the same shoulder in practice today) so that both the foreigners can get acclimatized  to playing conditions in India.

Source: NewsTime