Player Sub Categories

rudrarudra 2958 Points
edited January 2012 in Indian Football Players
I have noticed that most of our discussions, football articles don't go into tactical details. This might be because mostly the National Team plays a plain 4-4-2 without much imagination. Same is true for many clubs. But that's not true for many clubs.

In football discussions, for e.g., a lowly EPL club like Blackburn Rovers, the fans are very particular about exact skills and use of each player. Players are not just forwards, midfielders or defenders. They have sub categories, specific roles, and they don't just urge the best XI to be put in the field but players who compliment each other.

I would like to know about such sub categories in Indian players. Mostly we categorize them as Strikers, Centre mideo or centre defenders, side backs, wingers. Lets try to put them in much better categories based on whatever matches we have seen.

I would urge people to follow football tactics, players of there clubs, etc to chip in this discussion.

Comments

• good initiative i want 2 know about good indian DM's in I League.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    as far as striking dept goes sunil and jeje complement each other as jeje who could shield the balll well and place it in some excellent position for sunil to score as it was visible a bit in saff cup too and sunil who has a better pace than jeje is always the one who plays the role of poacher and makes it easy for the team to be in position to score...
    and as far as gk goes subrata is excellent not only for his goal keeping skills(which is possessed also by karanjit) but also had been main person in organizing defense line whenever he feel a attack is comeing (this quality is lacking in other goal keepers of our indian squad a bit compared to paul)
  • One of my biggest complaints against Indian football has been how tactically naive our overall outlooik is, both fan and authorities. We rarely venture into the tactical side of football. People are often discouraged to indulge in tactical discussions. For us football is still a game where individual players are supposed to show individual skills. During any international tournament you will see comments like - "Are we waking up at night to see tactics ? No we want to see Messi's goals" and so on...

In India teams are not made to fit a tactical system, instead we buy names and stars. Take Mohun Bagan for example. Nabi is a full-back who excels when he moves along the touchline. He would do wonders if he plays behind a winger who cuts back from wings. Instead Mohun Bagan has Hudson Lima and Snehashis on wings - decent wingers but whose style of play is very similar to Nabi's. If Bagan had an unconventional winger their attacking play would have been more fluid.

Similar example is Pune FC. Jeje has always looked like a striker who would do well when he plays alongside a striker who can hold the ball and hold off other defenders. Edmar had that ability but PFC didn't replace him properly. They are still doing well, thanks to Derek Perreira's coaching acumen. But Jeje's form has been pretty suspect...
  • One of my biggest complaints against Indian football has been how tactically naive our overall outlooik is, both fan and authorities. We rarely venture into the tactical side of football. People are often discouraged to indulge in tactical discussions. For us football is still a game where individual players are supposed to show individual skills. During any international tournament you will see comments like - "Are we waking up at night to see tactics ? No we want to see Messi's goals" and so on...

In India teams are not made to fit a tactical system, instead we buy names and stars. Take Mohun Bagan for example. Nabi is a full-back who excels when he moves along the touchline. He would do wonders if he plays behind a winger who cuts back from wings. Instead Mohun Bagan has Hudson Lima and Snehashis on wings - decent wingers but whose style of play is very similar to Nabi's. If Bagan had an unconventional winger their attacking play would have been more fluid.

Similar example is Pune FC. Jeje has always looked like a striker who would do well when he plays alongside a striker who can hold the ball and hold off other defenders. Edmar had that ability but PFC didn't replace him properly. They are still doing well, thanks to Derek Perreira's coaching acumen. But Jeje's form has been pretty suspect...

Exactly. Another thing I've noted from fans is that when they say there style of play they want its always just "short passing on the ground". Is that it? Can you elaborate? Do you even know what you mean?

Tactics is the main thing in football today. You need to find the players and formations that work for your team. Problem is most coaches in India lack the knowledge of this.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    good initiative i want 2 know about good indian DM's in I League.

Some of the defensive midfielders are -
    Rakesh Masih - Absolutely horrible, but sometimes can be effective if all he needs to is spoil opponent's foray's into his team's box

Adil Khan - I am not sure, he started in this position but seems like now he is doing decently in a defensive role.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Ok, now concentrating in a specific role, which I feel has been a major deficiency in Indian football (atleast the national team) -

Wing Play
    Forget about fullbacks helping out with overlapping run. Even if we just look at the wingers (RM, LM etc.), the only job they seem to do is to try to run with the ball and then cross it into the box. Nothing wrong with this, but they do it ALL THE TIME. One of the best example was Steven Dias in Houghton era, no matter how much space he has he will just cross the ball, nver cut into the box. Now against SAFF nations this has worked, who lack physically tough and tall defenders. But in general it doesn't work, esp after few times the ooposition knows what move is coming.....

I seriously think we need wingers who not only cross the ball, but sometimes take on defenders to give a through ball or dribble past defenders and try to invade the box, this confuses the central defenders and many times resulting in leaving the main striker unmarked.

So, who are the contenders? Current wingers we have are (based on the limited games i have seen, please contribute more) -

Lalrindika
    Rahim Nabi (can be full back, but more effective in a attacking role)
    Francis Fernandes
    Gilbert Oliveira
    Anthony Barbosa
    Manish Bhargav (totally new, but keep an watch on him)
    Vashum
    Eugene Lyngdoh
    Malem Meitei
    Ishfaq Ahmed
    Anthony Pareira
    Clifford miranda
    Collin Abranches
    Steven Dias
    James Singh
    Shylo Malswamtulunga
    Snehasish Chakraborty
    Tirthankar Sarkar
    Bijendra Singh
    Pritam Kotal
    many more i cant remember
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    At the moment I think, from the above,
    the players who are considered for Indian team or should be -

Nabi (a regular, but would like to see him in attacking role)

Lalrindika - Hardly getting chances, although he doesn't dribble that much, he has speed and a very good shot, his shots just outside the box can add variety to the regular predictable cross. Good with set pieces

Clifford Miranda - Not much imagination, but his experience is useful, don't think he should be chucked out from the side immediately

Francis Fernandes - Although he has been not very effective for the national team, I think he needs to be continued.

Anthony Barbosa - I have high regard for him from whatever matches I have seen. Runs well, gives nice crosses, but also gives throughballs and sometimes cuts into the box

Vashum - He has done ok in the games he played for India.I think he holds on to the ball little too much sometimes

Players who can make it in future -
    Manish Bhargav - This guy has the ability to cut into the box, or take shots, got good attacking instincts

Gilbert Oliveira - Needs to work harder, has been impressive past two seasons. Has speed, has seen him dribbling past players in I League

Eugene Lyngdoh - Nice first season in i League... needs to work on it

Tirthankar Sarkar - Colin Toal's youth scouting product...and so his main ability is perfect crosses from the sidelines...lacks imagination in terms of dribbling or cutting in the box....however, his crosses are good, he is an set-piece expert...young..with time he can make it..

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    I think Eugene is in training in Denmark
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    usaindia wrote:
    I think Eugene is in training in Denmark
    yea he is sent to denmark to get trained there along with another player
    i just hope they learn more technical and tactical stuffs about football and come as a better player