AFC U-13 Girls Football Fest

2»

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    I am guessing the IMG Academy would take these girls. They have proven that they are really good and at there age it is the perfect time. Also unlike in Mens football, the United States are the best when it comes to Women's Soccer.

should be great if they are able to get it done as IMG have given similar scholarships for some girls in tennis sport hopefully they shall think of this sport as well provided aiff also puch this idea a bit further to their partners IMG-ril
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    I am guessing the IMG Academy would take these girls. They have proven that they are really good and at there age it is the perfect time. Also unlike in Mens football, the United States are the best when it comes to Women's Soccer.

thats a cool idea....hope to see it implemented
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    <b>Ahmedabad's 'wall' guards India’s fort</b>
    Making most of the opportunity that came her way, Mallika Patel of Ahmedabad played a crucial role in India’s triumph at the AFC U-13 Girl’s Football Tournament held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

The goalkeeper conceded only one goal in the entire campaign as India returned with cent per cent record from Emerald Islands.

Mallika stood between opposition and goal to help India win all their five matches. They beat the likes of Iran (1-0), Bhutan (13-0), hosts Sri Lanka (7-0), Jordan (7-1) and Palestine (9-0) on way to winning the tournament.

“It was very exciting and thrilling experience. I learnt lot of things, technique wise,” the youngster said.

When asked about guarding Indian fort, she said, “There were a few anxious moments against Iran. Their attack was frequent and sharp. We saved more than five goals. But I was equally confident. Moreover, our defence was as strong as forward. That is why we had one-sided wins. It was a team effort,” said Mallika, candidly sharing the credit for team’s success. The JG International School student was little unfortunate, as there was no award for best goalkeeper. “The officials told our coach, had there been an award, Mallika would surely have got it. I am happy with the appreciation I got there,” the Lionel Messi fan said.

Meanwhile, Gujarat State Football Association president, Hardev Jadeja heaped praises on Mallika. “This is a proud moment. Conceding only one goal in five matches is incredible indeed,” said Jadeja, who is also AIFF treasurer.

The Amdavadi was the only one from Gujarat to be selected for the tournament. Before the team left for Colombo, Mallika was part of a two-month camp held in Gandhinagar. During the camp, Mallika was shaping as a second goalkeeper. But she was destined to be the first choice. The first goalkeeper was found over-age during scan, which allowed Mallika to take the pole position.

Meanwhile, the All India Football Federation gave away Rs5,000 cash prize award to each player. Jadeja, who is recuperating from an illness, plans to felicitate the girl during GSFA AGM to be held later this year. "It is essential to boost morale of our girl. We are planning to have small function to appreciate her feat," said the Vadodara-based football administrator.

An elated Priya, her coach said, "We are very happy with the win. This is a step in the right direction. Mallika has been a very good guard. She has a bright future, and only thing is Mallika should continue the way she practices."

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_ahmedabad-s-wall-guards-indias-fort_1666399
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

a cool video recap of the tournament.....which our young girls won \m/