AFC News

Comments

• samsam 16430 Points

Jan 13: India vs Australia, Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, 2.30pm

Jan 18: India vs Uzbekistan, Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, 5.30pm

Jan 23: India vs Syria, Al Bayt Stadium, 2.30pm
    indian_goonergiridharan
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    I look at this draw as I dia's opportunity to play competitive matches aga63 top teams at their full strength. We should treat them as high quality friendlies without having any expectations of any results. Stimac's time is ending so he won't have to make more excuses for India losing these matches. Good riddance when he goes away! But we can use these matches by playing a young, technical, energetic NT without old players like Chettri, Jhingan, Gurpreet etc. No point playing old players in these crucials matches when they don't have a long term future in NT. We need to think about the next 4 yr cycle under a new coach and must rebuild our team accordingly. 
    The exposure of playing these tough teams for young players like Suresh, Sana, Anwar Ali, Mahesh, Yasir, Apuia, Akash Mishra, Siva etc, will be immense. And still we will have experience in the team in the form of Thapa, Brandon, Ashique etc. These players are the future of our NT. Let us nurture them, give them more match practice so that they can be comfortable in playing big teams in future. We have to Target WCQ 2026. Asian Cup 2024 is as good as gone.
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3417 Points
    But we can use these matches by playing a young, technical, energetic NT without old players like Chettri, Jhingan, Gurpreet etc. No point playing old players in these crucials matches when they don't have a long term future in NT. 

disagree. a tournamanet of such scale should not be an experiment table. such cycle should start from concluding the event. in tournaments we need a stable team no matter whether old or young.

In 2014 when Roy Hogdson was England manager he chose Luke Shaw (then at Southampton i think aged 18/19 ) over Ashley Cole and was heavily debated in news media . This was a big costly mistake.

RonnyPassigoalkeeparashindiasouravindiagiridharandev_pfc
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3417 Points
    Also w.r.t England team Ivan Toney who was in great form for Brentford was called to Nations league squad but didn't get to play. Then he wasn't called up for WC squad. The very next match after squad WC squad annoucement, he scored 2 goals against win over Man city. Then he finally made to England  team debut for Euro qualifiers in March. 
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    I am not optimistic at all. I just hope we don't lose badly. We are so backwards technically compared to the rest. 

Former Fringe players for Australia NT like Petratos come to ISL and tear the league apart. Uzbekistan has some good talented players in Europe and Syria has 2 of best strikers in Asian club football. It's a tough group and we do not have the quality to beat these teams. 
    goalkeeparDeb_Bandeepak dedhasouravindiaashindiagiridharanindian_gooner
    But we can use these matches by playing a young, technical, energetic NT without old players like Chettri, Jhingan, Gurpreet etc. No point playing old players in these crucials matches when they don't have a long term future in NT. 

disagree. a tournamanet of such scale should not be an experiment table. such cycle should start from concluding the event. in tournaments we need a stable team no matter whether old or young.

In 2014 when Roy Hogdson was England manager he chose Luke Shaw (then at Southampton i think aged 18/19 ) over Ashley Cole and was heavily debated in news media . This was a big costly mistake.

Normally I would have agreed with you had we gotten a manageable group in Asian Cup (like 8n 2019) where we had a realistic chance of getting a positive result against at least one of the teams and any slim chance of progressing to next round. Then it made sense to have the best squad and fight. But in this group there is absolutely no chance of even salvaging a draw, even if we play with our strongest squad. Here the inclusion of experienced players like Chettri, Jhingan, Gurpreet won't make any difference. We are gonna lose all the 3 matches. Thats why it's better to play with a young team and give future players exposure of playing against quality opponents. Ultimately our aim should be to reach the 3rd round of WCQ where we will face such strong teams again. And for that we need our youngsters to be ready for tough opposition. The likes of Jhingan and Gurpreet can at best play for 2-3 more years. Better to prepare a future team. And it'll depend what teams we get for our WCQ 2nd round. 
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    How is Gupreet old :lol: ? 31 years age is about entering their prime for goalies. 
    deepak dedhadev_pfcPassi
  • souravindiasouravindia 3595 Points
    Wow, such negative  mind sets. I agree we might loose all matches but its not going to be 2011. Reasons? We might still be weak technically, but tactically we have gained, hence defensive organisation is much better than random stuff we used to do ii) experience counts. In 2011 there was fear because we were in asia cup after a long long time and everyone knew it was more or less back door entry. In 2023 we have more experience and lesser fear as we know we r starting to play this cup regularly. oii) some important results like draw against Quatar will help our confidence. We know we are not yet in top 10, but we are more or less within 16, that means we know we can give a fight. iv) u17 world cup batch- they have played against the best, now they r in national team. Might not help us win, but they have the tenacity to churn out something. So guys cheer up, It wont be easy for either Australia, Uzbekistan or Syria
    Ronnygoalkeepargiridharanindian_goonersudheermylankalPassiEastBengalPride
  • RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    I want us to give a big fight to each team and hopefully score in each game.. Even in 2011 we ended up scoring 3 goals
    souravindiagiridharanindian_gooner
    Wow, such negative  mind sets. I agree we might loose all matches but its not going to be 2011. Reasons? We might still be weak technically, but tactically we have gained, hence defensive organisation is much better than random stuff we used to do ii) experience counts. In 2011 there was fear because we were in asia cup after a long long time and everyone knew it was more or less back door entry. In 2023 we have more experience and lesser fear as we know we r starting to play this cup regularly. oii) some important results like draw against Quatar will help our confidence. We know we are not yet in top 10, but we are more or less within 16, that means we know we can give a fight. iv) u17 world cup batch- they have played against the best, now they r in national team. Might not help us win, but they have the tenacity to churn out something. So guys cheer up, It wont be easy for either Australia, Uzbekistan or Syria
    Its not negative mindset; its called thinking long term. And no is saying we should not play to win - of course we should give our best against each team....but with a team of young players, not those approaching the fag end of their career. Even if they play the result is not gonna change. So better play with players whom we will utilise in clearing the WCQ 2nd round and hopefully qualify for 3rd round. None of us realistically expects us to win or even draw any of the matches. 
    And Gurpreet is showing signs of his game going down. His recent performances were not exactly top notch. We need a ready successor to him.