PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    PIO used to play earlier for India. Some of us may remember Prakash Amritraj playing for India. But the 2008 policy decision of Sports Ministry debarred those not holding Indian passport from representing the country. A policy decision is reversible. The player need not hold Indian passport in that case, i.e. if it is reversed. A PIO/OCI card may suffice. 
    However, there are complications. The policy was brought in after a wide consultation from sports federation and they overwhelmingly supported it The homegrown players will obviously raise their voice against reversal.
    It is not impossible to reverse though, if there is a wide-ranging support and the government is convinced.

This is understandable for individual sports where a country only has a few entries eg) Wrestling. But makes no sense in team sport. 
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C3634 Points
    PIO used to play earlier for India. Some of us may remember Prakash Amritraj playing for India. But the 2008 policy decision of Sports Ministry debarred those not holding Indian passport from representing the country. A policy decision is reversible. The player need not hold Indian passport in that case, i.e. if it is reversed. A PIO/OCI card may suffice. 
    However, there are complications. The policy was brought in after a wide consultation from sports federation and they overwhelmingly supported it The homegrown players will obviously raise their voice against reversal.
    It is not impossible to reverse though, if there is a wide-ranging support and the government is convinced.

This is understandable for individual sports where a country only has a few entries eg) Wrestling. But makes no sense in team sport. 
    But this team sport is one of the richest sport that can bring in tons of money. The upside in this cannot be discounted. Even for a country like China please look into the revenue they brought in 20 years ago. And if China qualifies for world cup now it will be billions and billions more than last time around. We will probably not qualify for WC as of now. But we will have the momentum driving us in that direction. 

In a way I am ok with our government being less democratic in these kind of debates. It is ok to be authoritarian and do what is best. Allow OCI holders conditionally to play for India and expedite the citizenship process for them. It is not an impossible task I feel. I think our politicians have not realized the potential of bringing in OCI football players as we do. I think that is what is stopping this process and nothing else. Unfortunately for most of them they only know of cricket. 

With OCI if we make it to the last round of qualifiers I think that is enough to generate interest in national team. For China, say what you want about their levels they do have passionate fans. In our country we only have fans from sections cheering the national team. A little bit of success is the need of the hour. As things stand we should hope @ashindia run for sports ministry lol.
    ashindia
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Only way Indian football can sustain is through some kind of investment and all that investment is going to come only when there is some success at NT level. PIO is the only easiest/fastest way to kick start this viscious cycle otherwise I'm afraid we cannot achieve anything substantial with existing setup and mindset 
    giridharanRonnymohammed_87hassangoalkeeparsouravindia
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2975 Points
    sam said:
    Selective dual citizenships can be always allowed 
    who will define criteria ?
  • MaddieMaddie ಮೈಸೂರು(Mysuru) / Canada2975 Points
    ashindia said:
    Only way Indian football can sustain is through some kind of investment and all that investment is going to come only when there is some success at NT level. PIO is the only easiest/fastest way to kick start this viscious cycle otherwise I'm afraid we cannot achieve anything substantial with existing setup and mindset 
    after PIO,  some coach will say better players are available in different country, Can we give citizenship based on the naturalization or aquiring indian citizenship. Please change the law t for quicker aquiring indian citizenship/immigration process. 

India cant keep changing rule based only few aspects specifically fullfill certain team sports. as mentioned by someone, most of the individual sports will be part of OCI/NRI. people residing in India will not be able to represent India in the India.  

Indian should represent India whether Dual/Single citizenship. I wish Indian govt come up with Dual Citizenship plan which will help in all the sector and not only in sports. 
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    Btw, can we make our - IFN 's - list of 24?
    samdev_pfcrathorevarun4 giridharangoalkeeparsouravindia
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29261 Points
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9964 Points
    @ashindia can do it easily 

So @ashindia , please come forward. We will even name it "Ash's 24".
    indian_gooner
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    ashindia said:
    I want to correct myself. PIO can play with OCI card if govt gives FIFA in writing that it's an identity proof or passport for players. 

As to why I am interested I genuinely feel we can become a very decent team with 6/7 Pio in our 23 men squad. There are some pretty good players like Manprit Sarkaria, Danny Bath etc and they play on a higher level than many in current WC Aussie team too. 

Will this happen. Probably never but I wish someone actually instilled sense into sports ministry of whoever is involved. If others can do it so should we. 

I'll finish my rant and forget about PIO for next few years now
    My Lineup if OCI cards were eligible -

GK - Gurpreet
    DL - Akash
    CB - Danny Batth (Sunderland)
    CB - Sana
    DR - Simran Thandi (AEK Larcana)
    DM -  Harpreet Ghotra (Eintracht Frankfurt 2)
    CM - Brandon
    AM - Yan Dhanda (Ross County)
    RW - Dilan Markandey (Spurs Reserves)
    LW - Manprit Sarkaria(Strum Graz)
    ST -  Liston

I dont think we will dominate Asia with this squad, but I do think we can give outside fight for expanded WC qualification

Other Notable Players who can be an option -

Ryan Williams(Winger) 
    Omid Singh (Winger)
    Niall Mason(CM/DM)
    Joshua Pynadath(Winger)
    Malvind Benning(DL)
    Justin Dhillon(FW - Target Man)
    Lacximicant Andre(FW/Winger)
    Arjan Raikhy(CM)
    Rohan Luthra(GK)
    Shaan Hundal(FW)
    Kam Kandola(CB)
    Juvy Kooner(CB)
    Netan Sansara(CB)
    Amrit Bansal Mcnaulty(CM)
    William Andiyapan(CB)
    Kinny Grewal(DR)
    Michael singh(FW/Winger)

These are the list of players mostly based out of Europe or NA and have not included any player from Carribean countries who mostly may not have immediate connection with India. Also, I'm not sure if this will ever be possible and at the same time, I also believe that India is not capable of producing decent players for next 20 years as I do not see any efforts.
    ↑↑

Ash's "23" actually--a year ago: four in the "Lineups" and 17 in "Other Notable Players"

@ashindia can update the list if he wishes to
    ashindia
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    I will update the list this weekend. I think there are more than 40-50 players if we consider lower level leagues as well. Also I hope officials from AIFF don't blindly copy my list and submit  :D because there are many more players with Indian origin who's data is not available 
    gopiajeeshDeb_Banindian_goonergiridharan