PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    In this context I remember an incident. My father used to be forced to watch I-League on TV those days as I was religious about it. After watching the matches, he would frown and say, "Even the foreigners who come to India play like Indians!"
  • shankar wrote:
    people dont really care with whom we are playing but how we are playing so all i would say is get some quality players who are good enough for us to help to show some good display of the game which will eventually gain more fans and media attraction....
    then all those who got talent will also start thinking of giving football as a career a try...which would help us get self sufficient in may be 10 years time

and also i dont want any african wear indian jersey...i would be fine with a half indian than non-indian players
    if possible i would love to know whether arsenal target, rohan(as someone pointed out) is keen to play as well?? ;;)

Why not Africans. If they are willing AND show that they are professional about the game on and OFF the field then yes bring them in.

I think it is time to decide the problem almost every indian has with Africans.

We should not mind Africans in I-League BUT they must show professionalism on and off the field and be willing to teach the youngsters. Its not that I-League clubs must not go after Africans but go after the professional ones like Manjou Kieta who has played in the Second Division of the USA. Sure he has not scored 1,000,000 goals but he brings in professionalism that we need.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    somesh wrote:
    In this context I remember an incident. My father used to be forced to watch I-League on TV those days as I was religious about it. After watching the matches, he would frown and say, "Even the foreigners who come to India play like Indians!"
    your dad was true these foreigners are hardly good enough for international stage...which is clearly visible from their performance in afc cup
  • shankar wrote:
    people dont really care with whom we are playing but how we are playing so all i would say is get some quality players who are good enough for us to help to show some good display of the game which will eventually gain more fans and media attraction....
    then all those who got talent will also start thinking of giving football as a career a try...which would help us get self sufficient in may be 10 years time

and also i dont want any african wear indian jersey...i would be fine with a half indian than non-indian players
    if possible i would love to know whether arsenal target, rohan(as someone pointed out) is keen to play as well?? ;;)

As for me I have an American passport. I am eligible for an English one to through my Dad and I am eligible through my Mom who was born in Kenya. I am also eligible for citizenship of India through my grandparents and everyone before them. Plus almost all my cousins are in India.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    shankar wrote:

As for me I have an American passport. I am eligible for an English one to through my Dad and I am eligible through my Mom who was born in Kenya. I am also eligible for citizenship of India through my grandparents and everyone before them. Plus almost all my cousins are in India.

You'll need to show your grandparents Indian passport in order to represent India,but anyway that's a long way to go and getting into India NT is not so easy kid. ;)
  • ashindia wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    shankar wrote:

You'll need to show your grandparents Indian passport in order to represent India,but anyway that's a long way to go and getting into India NT is not so easy kid. ;)

Who said I wanted to join the Indian national team? ;) Plus I Know how hard it is, that is what I say when I go on facebook and see those users who keep talking about how they are the need for India. I go "no your not, first join your state league, then get to the I-League and prove yourself from there".

Also my grandparents (except for my grandfather on my dads side) still have there indian passports.
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    ashindia wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    shankar wrote:

Who said I wanted to join the Indian national team? ;) Plus I Know how hard it is, that is what I say when I go on facebook and see those users who keep talking about how they are the need for India. I go "no your not, first join your state league, then get to the I-League and prove yourself from there".

Also my grandparents (except for my grandfather on my dads side) still have there indian passports.

Yeah that's obvious man for someone who was born and bought-up in USA he would always dream about representing them but none.

• ashindia wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    ashindia wrote:
    arsenalfan wrote:
    shankar wrote:

Yeah that's obvious man for someone who was born and bought-up in USA he would always dream about representing them but none.

Well I would like to play for India but first lets see if I can become pro first. I am 15, going to be 16 in exactly one week. I have a trial for the Red Bulls U18 team soon and that is almost like Pro. Just last year when Argentina played the United States the Argentina national team (with Messi etc) played against the Red Bulls U18 team in a scrimmage. Proof...

So there will be a lot of competition.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    Of course GOI should relax the citizenship norm. Dual citizenship for Indian origins who want represent India. It will not only help our sports but other field also like business and investment. I am also in favour of looking seriously citizenship to foreign players who are living in India for long enough time and ready to give up passport of their native country. We need some success desperately. Our poor ranking is a hindrance for our players to go abroad and raise their standard. Some success will not only improve our ranking, foreign clubs will look to our players more respectfully. The necessary investment for infrastructure will come. Most importantly the fan base will increase which is not possible without any success in International level.The gap between us and the Europeans (the top Asian nations also) is so wide now, we will not be able to close in without some drastic measures.
  • archak wrote:
    along with the pio we should also draft in some naturalised players.... from the current foreigners of ileague

u share my thought. I wud love to see anyone representing india colors to get to the world cup