Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    The conversation gets leaked more than an year after it happened, news broke and forgotten. Someone (or something) doesn't want Stimac to continue it seems.
    ashindiadeepak dedha
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30218 Points

AIFF to send second-string team to Asian Games

The decision comes after a series of events in the last few days.

The All India Football Federation have decided to send a second-string squad for the Asian Games, after the ISL clubs refused to release players for the camp. The Asian Games will be held from 19 September and the ISL will commence on 21 September.

With the dates colliding, the clubs were hesitant to send out their star players for the competition and as a result of which the AIFF has come to a decision of sending a ‘second’ team to the event. However, it is not yet decided who’ll be guiding the team to the competition as Igor Stimac is not keen to go with the second team! Moreover, AIFF is not working with the clubs for the selection of the final squad.

What happened?

The AIFF was deliberately requesting the clubs to release players for the Asian Games. But since the Asian Games doesn’t fall under any respective FIFA window, clubs are not obliged to send out their players.

Kalyan Chaubey had previously requested the FSDL to defer the Indian Super Legaue by 10 days. In reply to that, AIFF spokesperson had mentioned that the schedule can’t be changed but they are free to hold discussions regarding the same.

Thus, to reach a solution, the AIFF took this decision in the Executive Committee meeting held today. Just a few months back, the Federation in cooperation with the Ministry of Sports and Indian Olympic Association got a green signal for participation in the Asian Games.

Former ISL champions Bengaluru FC had informed that Gurpreet Singh Sandhu won’t be able to join the camp since both their backup keepers are injured. Sandhu was one of the three senior players to accompany the U-23 (U-24 for this edition) side in the Asian Games. But at this moment, Khel Now can confirm that even Sandesh Jhingan and Sunil Chhetri won’t be involved in the tournament.

https://khelnow.com/asian-games/2023-09-indian-football-asian-games-india-send-second-string-team

indian_gooner
  • SukunSukun Mumbai365 Points
    Remember,"fans"were abusing government for exclusion of football from the Asian games,now when everything and everyone did their part to include Indian teams in Asian Games,by tweaking rules etc,this 2 string side thing feels like a betrayal.Also ISL had its main goal to improve national team by developing players for India.This non-cooperation is like a shit in the face of everyone.Also I feel SAI were right about exclusion of football if we can't send a competitve team,if next time we are barred from Asian games because of mediocrity,I won't outrage for inclusion of Indian football.
    souravindiagoalkeepar
  • Sukun said:
    Remember,"fans"were abusing government for exclusion of football from the Asian games,now when everything and everyone did their part to include Indian teams in Asian Games,by tweaking rules etc,this 2 string side thing feels like a betrayal.Also ISL had its main goal to improve national team by developing players for India.This non-cooperation is like a shit in the face of everyone.Also I feel SAI were right about exclusion of football if we can't send a competitve team,if next time we are barred from Asian games because of mediocrity,I won't outrage for inclusion of Indian football.
    Absolutely. No only that people have forgotten that even PM twitted regarding Indian football getting to play Asian games. Seems like people have directly abused him as well by not releasing players
    Ronnygiridharangaffertape
  • there is no need of sunil chhetri either too in Asian Games. I would have been happy if he was in Kings cup. rather than taking the 3 most experienced players, take some players who are wanting to break into NT setup. 
  • ashindiaashindia 9384 Points
    edited September 2023
    Best would have been to withdraw from competition. I won't be surprised if we failed to win single point 
    goalkeeparDeb_BangiridharanSukun
  • RonnyRonny 10497 Points
    there is no need of sunil chhetri either too in Asian Games. I would have been happy if he was in Kings cup. rather than taking the 3 most experienced players, take some players who are wanting to break into NT setup. 
    They have done this by including Rahul KP, Rohit Danu and Gurkirat to prove their mettle. Deepak Tangri has also been added now.
    Sunil and Stimac are meeting AIFF team tomorrow and we can expect few more additions hopefully in mid and defense
  • SukunSukun Mumbai365 Points
    Read somewhere that sports ministry is involved and it intends to send a full strength squad 😁
    souravindia