2012-13 I-League Round 20

Comments

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited February 2013

Meanwhile, in a week that saw India lose to Palestine and people wonder about the future of youth development in India and how it is doing right now, we can now say that the week ended well.

This round saw the very first I-League Academy Grown player make his debut in the I-League. Of course it is obvious from what team but for those not in the know... Pune FC have the only Academy in the I-League (Dont try and pump up the Mohun Bagan-SAIL Academy) and today saw the first player from their Academy in the league.

Players name: Nikhil Kadam. The 19-year old midfielder from Kolhapur, Maharashtra has been with Pune FC since 2009 when he joined the U17s. He was 1 of few boys who were selected from the U19s to play for the Pune FC Academy in 2011.

The midfielder played for the Pune FC Academy in their first I-League U20 season last year and scored 3 goals as Pune FC's Academy won the tournament. Kadam then played for Pune FC Academy in the Pune Senior Division (the top league in Pune) and scored 1 goal for them.

He then made history at Pune FC by being the 1st Academy player to sign a professional contract at the club (after Suji Kumar and Kamaljeet Kumar) and he made his debut for the first-team on 23 August 2012 against Central Reserve Police in the Durand Cup. He then made his professional debut for Pune FC in the Federation Cup on 24 September 2012 against Salgaocar after he came on as a 69th minute sub for Mumtaz Akhtar.

Today Kadam came on in the 88th minute for Jeje Lalpekhlua. Congrats to Kadam and may he be the first of many.
  • Learn more about Kadam here:

What stands out for me is the fact that he won the "PDFA Best Player – Super Division Award" last year. Great achievement.
  • And now I am left feeling red-faced. For Kadam this is his 2nd game in the I-League.

He made his real debut on 24 November 2012 against United Sikkim in which the game ended 2-2 at the Balewadi Sports Complex.

I am very sorry for messing that up. That is a grade A mistake from me.
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points

Just realised on reading newspaper that Churchill have no proper centre backs for the Prayag game. It seems like Balmuchu will partner Naveen Kumar in defence. Hell of a job for these guys to mark Ranti.

Churchill's title may just slip away if they lose today. Reports suggest that Alemao and the management at CB are not impressed by Van Brink and could be looking for other options.

• > Domnic said:
    > Just realised on reading newspaper that Churchill have no proper centre backs for the Prayag game. It seems like Balmuchu will partner Naveen Kumar in defence. Hell of a job for these guys to mark Ranti.
    >
    > Churchill's title may just slip away if they lose today. Reports suggest that Alemao and the management at CB are not impressed by Van Brink and could be looking for other options.

Really. Even Ravanan is injured? Balmuchu has been impressive since making his debut in January but Kumar is a question mark. I have never seen him play at all. Why not promote from the youth?

Ravannan got Red card in last game. Gurtej was substandard in previous game.

• > Domnic said:
    > Ravannan got Red card in last game. Gurtej was substandard in previous game.

Oh wow, I forgot that. If Gurjet is available then play him. Dont give up on the guy after one game (Note: I have not watched him much this season. If he has been poor all season I would understand).
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points

> Domnic said:
    > Just realised on reading newspaper that Churchill have no proper centre backs for the Prayag game. It seems like Balmuchu will partner Naveen Kumar in defence. Hell of a job for these guys to mark Ranti.
    >
    > Churchill's title may just slip away if they lose today. Reports suggest that Alemao and the management at CB are not impressed by Van Brink and could be looking for other options.

European players will struggle in India,they find it hard to adjust to the Hot and Humid climate conditions.

• Not really. Many Southern Europeans have come down to many South-East Asian countries and done well. Its mainly the Northern Euros (Brits) that struggle. Guys like Angel and Juanfri are also doing okay in I-League.

Plus this guy had time in Australia and I know there is a major difference but we have had players who have come from Australia and have done very well. I think this guy was just looking for an easy paycheck to play like he does not care. Little does he know that the I-League is not like that.

I think foreign players should realise that there is a huge difference between our FIFA rankings and our I-League. It may not be great but it is at a comparable level to other south asian countries.