Comments

• archakarchak 2082 Points
    New associate Sponsor: Guess Who..... Reliance Digital
    munna219777
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29245 Points
    fact is chennai is a bmbani team
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    How many teams are Ambani Teams? Chennai? Pune? Mumbai?Delhi? Goa, Calcutta, North East seems to have genuine ownership.
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    One of the duo star of South lead by Marco Materazzi, Chennaiyin FC or so belovedly Chennaiyin, was very pro-active in retaining last season performers. But, it is their signing from open market that has surprised many. Apart from few poor signings, over populating a single position with multiple players has resulted in dis-balanced side. Anyways, lets have a look and rate the squad so far. The rating is based on quality of signing with respect to amount paid and quality added to roaster. 

1) Apoula Edel Bete (GK): A gamble in my opinion by Chennaiyin. Not that effective player that demands a starting berth and yet just not poor enough to ignore. Edel a reasonably good outing with ATK last year, whenever ATK went out with 5 outfield foreign players. His consistency with ATK might have played a role in selection but a less than mediocre outing post ISL-season1 is a key concern for me. Nevertheless he is better in terms of quality of players that Chennaiyin currently has. He might be a sure shot starter till Karnjit is fit enough to take "Goal Kicks". Expect him to be dropped from the squad for some matches in middle or letter stages of season2 in favour of 6 outfield foreign players. (7.5/10)

2) Karnjit Singh (GK): A complete bundle of all bad things that can happen to a player from bad advice to wrong treatment and with some bad luck. Karnjit was one of stellar Indian goalkeepers who successfully challenged famous 'Spiderman' for National Team berth consistently. His quiet and consistent performance in I-league is worth mentioning. A good goalkeeper even when is not fully fit. But his selection in the team depends upon his fitness. Hoping to see good contest between him and Edel for starting berth at latter stages of the league. Another gamble which probably might pay off for Chennaiyin. (7.5/10)

3) Nidhin Lal (GK): Priced a tad bit high in draft for a player with Santhosh trophy experience. However, a thoughtful addition to team who adds a local flavour to the team. Don't expect him to start and even on bench but can be a good poster boy due to his local connection. (6.5/10) 

4) Abhishek Das (RB): A development player with I-league experience seems a mouth watering temptation. Chennaiyin retaining him was no brainer. Expect him to play a more crucial role this season. He may get considerable game-time but no way a sure shot starter in the lineup. All depends upon the foreign signings. (8/10)

5) Bernard Mendy (CB): A Right Back by trade but played Center back for Chennaiyin last season. A crowd favourite and poster boy among the die-hearted Chennaiyin fans. Expect him to be a sure shot starter and dazzle even in ISL-season2. A great player retained in my opinion both in terms of player quality and marketing sense. He is one of the few Chennaiyin players to look for during set plays. (9/10)

6) Justin Stephen(CB): A intelligent buy in my opinion because of the quality received to the amount paid. He may not be one of the stellar name among defenders of I-league, but this 6.1 ft player is one of the reason Mumbai FC was able to avoid the drop. He will start a considerable amount of matches for Chennaiyin this season. A lot will depend upon his chemistry with Mendy. A true dark horse. (8/10)

7) Dhanachandra Singh (LB): A top quality Indian player retained with recent International level experience and I-league winning mentality. Mouthwatering for any team. Considered to be one best left back with good defensive quality, he has the added ability to play as Center Back which can come in handy during the tournament. He will be the one of first on the team list for sure. The only key concern would be his unavailability due to international commitments, if any. (9/10)

8) Lalhmangaihsanga (LB): Thoughtful buy in my opinion. A I-league regular with a very low price. He will be a reasonable back-up for Dhanachandra during his international commitments. And can also challenge him for 1st team spot. (8/10)

9) Dhanpal Ganesh (DM): A sensible buy but in terms of price and experience, but then again a surprise decision when you have likes of Khabra in the team. Eventhough Khabra is not fully convincing in the role of defensive midfielder for starting position, so is he. Maybe a competitiveness between them can bring best in both of them. It will all depend on the form of one-other to get a game-time. But a potential key Indian International player and key player in I-league team, seems to good be passed by the coach. A good decision in all. Not sure though if he also qualifies as Development player which could be added benefit. (9/10)

10) Harmanjot Singh Khabra (DM): Another good player retained. Khabra played considerable role in first good showing of Chennaiyin last season. Expect him to continue the same performance. However, this time he has to compete against Dhanpal for same position in playing 11. It will be interesting to see who wins. In all a good player to have in the team. But, solely based on experience I expect him to start ahead of Dhanpal atleast for starting few matches.(9/10)
    goalkeeparArsenalFan700footydipmunna219777namewtheldmohammed_87hassanrudra
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    11) Mehrajuddin Wadoo (DM): A really stupid signing. The stupidest of all their signings may be. Nowhere near a bench player quality, Wadoo is a clear case of a player on decline. Apart from the obvious reason for his selection, his ability to slot as central defender might be the reason for his signing. (4/10)

12) Thoi Singh(CM/AM): A technically sound ball wining midfielder with runner-up I-league side. Seems very interesting till we discuss the amount paid. A really costly player for central midfield which will more or less occupied by a foreigner. At best a 40-45Lakh player (actually even less), Chennaiyin have exactly paid double to get their man. A good addition to the team in terms of technical qualities and should be a sure shot starter. (7/10)

13) Godwin Franco (CM): This old horse is a good playmaker with wide range of passing ability. He alongwith Thoi can be the engine of the team. Only area of concern might be his age and ability to perform for the season. Personally, I prefer him over Thoi because of his experience but all depends upon his fitness. This could his big pay cheque for sure. In an all a reasonable buy. Expect a healthy competition between him and Thoi for starting spot. (7/10)

14) Zakeer Mundampara (CM/AM): Coming off a quiet I-league season, Zakeer is perplexing signing. Nothing against Zakeer qualities, but with so many players signed for same position central midfield, I am not fully convinced by his selection. (To be noted he was the last central midfield player to be bought by Chennaiyin.). Chennaiyin lack a good winger. Materazzi should have gone for cheaper and better winger in form of Vineeth who was later picked by Kerala Blaster. (5/10)

15) Bruno Pelissari (AM/CM): A young Athletico Paranaense player with experience in playing at state level. A very good player in terms of quality and addition to the team which was demonstrated with number of starts to goal ratio last season. A key player for Chennaiyin this season. The attacking combo duo of Bruno and Elano seems to be a great choice on paper but need to see if it will materialize. Expect him to be one of the few in the starting 11 everytime. In an all a very good player retained. (9.5/10)

16) Elano (AM): The Boss, The Thalaivaa, and The Rajni of the team. The only marquee player who played like a marquee and fulfilled the expectation of football fans. His age and fitness might be a point of concern for the home coach but then again his free-kicks would give sleepless night to the opponents. Writing anything more would be insult to this great player. A very good decision to re-sign him back as marquee. (9.5/10)

17) Jayesh Rane (RW/FW): Coming off a full I-league season, this young Mumbai FC Striker is good young potential. In last season, Materazzi made good use of his speed. However, this time more focus would be on his goal scoring capability. In my opinion, he may not be good enough to break into playing 11. But, might get some game-time here and there. However, he will be behind Baljit and Jeje in selection order. A lot will depend on which other foreign players that Chennaiyin sign and form of Fikru. (8.5/10)

18) Fikru(FW): Last season Chennaiyin was let down because of lack of outright striker. Signing a already experienced striker is a good move by the Chennaiyin camp. However, they could have done a slight better job. Eventhough, Fikru has good aerial qualities and really add a physical bite upfront, his limited football intelligence was well exploited Gregory last season against FC Goa. If Materazzi, is able to use him suitably, he can be devastating and really win you matches. A lot will depend upon the trio of Elano-Bruno-Fikru. A sure shot starter for Chennaiyin in my opinion. (9/10)

19) Balwant Singh (FW): Flashes of brilliance followed lengthy period of mediocrity, that is Balwant Singh. He will one few key Indian player who will play a critical role for Chennaiyin. This might be his last chance to showcase his talent and grab his position in National Team. A good player retained in my opinion. (8/10)

20) Jeje (FW): An mediocre player retained in my opinion. He doesn't bring anything new to the table which Chennaiyin didn't lack. Jayesh has speed and Balwant has equally good goal conversion ratio. Moreover, he might be selected for international commitments. Probably a back-up striker to Balwant in the mind of Materazzi. In all a reasonable player to have on bench. (6.5/10)

Still a great deal of team to go in form of 6 foreign players. Can't really say anything about the team now as the foreigners will define the quality of the squad. But, a quality playmaker and a winger are must among them. On paper, they will miss the calm and quality defending of Silvester this season. Apart from that, it felt like Materazzi is in favour of winger less formation such as 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 with a very strong focus on defensive quality. Looking at the squad combination, Chennaiyin seem to have good talent for set pieces and will probably score more through them than open play. 

In summary, a strong Indian contingent yet un-balanced on many fronts.  

Difficult to predict expected line-up as of now. 
    goalkeeparArsenalFan700footydipjithuvfoxmunna219777namewtheldmohammed_87hassanrudra
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    wow a great couple of posts. just to add a bit. chennaiyin will bring in a top CB (atleast better than Nesta type performing). Marco was a fan to sacrifice a GK (foriegn slot) so he can push one upfront more. this backfired most times with shilton.

so expect a stable back fore with rotations on when dhana is out to NT duties.

the formation currently looks narrow with one upfront. so expect them to play possession based or quick Counters.

focus will b on DM's. marco loves two in DM positions. so dhanpal is going to play denson type role with either khabra or 1 more DM (foriegn) supporting him.

upfront i think discounting JJ is only a Peril. he is better when u have close support to him and play slow probing football. I expect him to start more than balwant/jayesh and getting atleast 3-4 goals this time too

am worried on mainly the width. unless marco goes for 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 with two wingba ks there isnt any width.

expect them to bring another CB to partner mendy ie., a more defensive one, a midfielder maybe one who can offer width and possibly a DM.
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    Apouel Edel

{Foreign CB }---- MENDY ---- Dhana
    Abhishek Das -------------------------- Lalhmangaisanga
    Dhanpal Ganesh    Thoi Singh
    ELANO
    BRUNO PELISSARI
    FIKRU

5-3-2 or 3-4-3 for Marco perhaps ?
    munna219777
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10445 Points
    edited July 2015