Articles

AdminAdmin 240 Points
edited June 2011 in East Bengal
Rahul Bali’s I-League Comment: East Bengal Seem To Be Losing The Plot In The Title Race

Three points from a possible 15 in the last five outings isn’t a statistic you would expect from a team fighting for the title. The team who were touted as the favourites to win the I-League this season, who left everyone flabbergasted with their style and performance on the pitch find themselves eight points adrift the league leaders Salgaocar SC with a game in hand.

Before we delve into the whys of this, let us have a brief insight on East Bengal’s season so far which began with the Kolkata League which is a 17 game marathon where the Red and Gold emerged champions. It’s a competition which is a must for the Kolkata clubs to excel in and hence the coaches are under pressure to play their first teams as opposed to what happens in Goa where the likes of Dempo, Salgaocar or Churchill often give their reserve and U-19 players an opportunity to gain experience.

Also it’s important to note that some of their players were part of the Santosh Trophy squads as well which was held back in August.

In the Federation Cup, East Bengal went on to clinch the trophy and thereby qualify for the AFC Cup while in the following Durand Cup, they could only reach the semis. They also played the Platinum Jubilee Cup and are expected to play in the IFA Shield as well.

In the fast paced world we live in, ‘to do more with less’ is the mantra used in almost every sphere of life. Multitasking has largely become an essential and no more an added advantage an individual holds.

What this does is makes one less efficient as each task is performed with a reduced brainpower which means a shrink in perceived control and rote solutions to simple tasks.

Apply the same theory in East Bengal’s case and you have your answer. It’s important for the club management to remain focused and aim certain tournaments or competitions which they have to win. It’s rather bizarre to participate in every freaking tournament that comes your way. When Phillipe De Ridder was in-charge of East Bengal last year, he made a point towards the end of his campaign stating the participation in needless tournaments such as the Ek Nayanar Gold Cup in Kerala led to several injuries and thus their form suffered in the I-League which ultimately led to his dismissal.

Having won the Kolkata League and the Federation Cup, East Bengal knew that they are to have a long season with AFC Cup matches and to maintain their position in the I-League.

To have played the Platinum Jubilee Cup and confirming their participation in the IFA Shield, East Bengal have only added further to their miseries which are resulting out of mental fatigue.

As pointed in our editorial that the teams who participate in the AFC Cup generally don’t do well in the domestic league.
One look at the fixtures list and it’s for everyone to see that they have a tough road ahead with away fixtures against Salgaocar SC, Churchill Brothers (Goa), Air India (Kolhapur), Pune FC (Pune) and HAL (Bangalore). Add to this, they have to face Mohun Bagan in the high profile Kolkata derby and Chirag United, a team they are yet to beat this season. The one game in hand they have is against fellow title contenders Dempo SC and beating them even in Kolkata wouldn’t be an easy task.

And amidst all this, there are another five AFC Cup fixtures, of which three are away from home involving a lot of travel only to increase their weariness.

In spite of the assurance to play their second string side in the IFA Shield, East Bengal would have to play some of their bench players who are also not in the best of forms.

If Trevor Morgan’s East Bengal fail to bring the I-League title to Kolkata, the fans would know whom to blame for sure…

Source : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2011/03/07/2383119/rahul-balis-i-league-comment-east-bengal-seem-to-be-losing">http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/ ... -be-losing</a><!-- m -->

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    True...but who's listening!!!!
  • dhritiman7dhritiman7 4029 Points
    Very true ... still no awareness among officials / core supporters.
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    We want the entire team retained for Next Season
    - Says the fan club

The season is coming to an end. Already many teams are vying for the precious possessions that build up the East Bengal family. Circles have been going round that a team which has failed miserably this season is vying into East Bengal’s territory and approaching the players to distract them from the current season through huge offers and make a signing for the next season.

The entire team of East Bengal has done a wonderful work for the supporters and club this season. The entire success of the season has been for the dedication of all the players present in the East Bengal roster. It is our earnest request from Real POWER to the club officials that PLEASE RETAIN ALL OF THE PLAYERS OF THIS SEASON FOR NEXT SEASON. WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY OF OUR PRESENT PLAYERS WEARING A JERSEY OF ANY OTHER TEAM.

The heart of Red & Gold brigade, the Indian Mackalele, Mehtab Hussain has been adjudged “the player of the year” by the sports journalists for his outstanding performance for the season 2010-11. This soft-spoken Bengali has shown great vigor and determination on the field to grab a record 23 man-of –the-match awards this season. Considering the dearth of quality Bengali footballers in Indian football scenario, this is a great achievement. Mehtab who was once thought by some football pundits as a finished chapter have made a tremendous comeback under the tutelage of Mr. Philippe de Rider and Mr. Morgan and he has been the most consistent performer for East Bengal this season. He was also selected as the best player of Kolkata league. So his selection as the best player of the season is quite in accordance with his earlier performance.

We all congratulate him for this rare accomplishment and wish him all the success in future. Naturally he is now the prime target for many Indian clubs in the ensuing transfer season and they are quite prepared to go all out to grab him considering his consistency and quality. Moreover it will be a tremendous blow for team East Bengal if he can be lured away. Considering this we whole-heartedly request our officials to ensure his services for the next season as soon as possible. It will be in the best interest of the team to retain him at any cost and we are sure that our officials will never allow our rivals to snatch this prize possession from the folds of Red & Gold flag. We want to see Mehtab don the Red & Gold jersey for the next season and for seasons to come.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eastbengaltherealpower.com/news/1793/We-want-the-entire-team-retained-for-next-season">http://www.eastbengaltherealpower.com/n ... ext-season</a><!-- m -->
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    So, EB fans finally stressing on importance of keeping a stable team.. Good job
  • archakarchak 2082 Points
    So, EB fans finally stressing on importance of keeping a stable team.. Good job
    yeah eb have finally come to their sense. Hope mb fans can also understand the meaning of stability
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Striking a balance has been my biggest challenge: Trevor Morgan

In his first season as a coach in an Indian club, East Bengal’s English coach Trevor Morgan has drawn appreciation from all circles. The red-and gold have had a dream season so far, winning the Federation Cup and the Kolkata Premier League besides staying on course for the I-League crown. In a freewheeling chat with <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-aiff.com">www.the-aiff.com</a><!-- w -->, Morgan says, his biggest challenge was to strike a balance within the team. Excerpts.
    What do you attribute East Bengal’s success to?
    You have to give it to the players. They executed the plan well. They have stayed patient, knowing they will get their opportunity. The best part stays they have performed when it matters. I understand it’s frustrating for any player not to be in the starting XI. But they have all co-operated for the bigger cause.
    The National Team players have not been automatic starters in your team after the Asian Cup. Was that a difficult decision for you?
    Everyone in my squad has a role. I have been fortunate enough to inherit a good bunch of players. It’s not that the National Team Players didn’t get a chance to play for East Bengal. My toughest challenge has been to strike the perfect balance between the existing set and the National Team Players. I reiterate, everyone has been patient and I appreciate that.
    What has been your impression of the Indian players that you have seen in the I-League? Are they good enough to play in Foreign Leagues?
    The current FIFA rankings won’t allow an Indian footballer to play in the higher divisions in Europe. Realistically, they should look at Asia – maybe, Japan, and South Korea. Once they move out, it will create widespread awareness and generate interest among the sponsors. Some of the players are quite good but they need to work on their fitness a bit more.
    What prompted you to sign a three-year contract with East Bengal?
    The passion in Kolkata will impress anyone. If you need to be a part of the cause, you need to stay here for long. Rome, as they say, wasn’t built in a day. The intention is to create East Bengal as a role model for other clubs – it’s a long-term plan which demanded a longer contract. The support from the East Bengal management has been an inspiring one.
    Is the I-League crown on its way back to Kolkata?
    Nothing in football is certain till the final whistle. There are other teams too who are gunning for the title and they are quality sides. Let me hope everything stays right for us till the end.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?interView=more">http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/inde ... rView=more</a><!-- m -->
  • tejiteji 142 Points
    very happy that Morgan is staying with I league. East bengal has alot of india Under 23 and now indian arrows players will learn from Morgan
  • phanik1234phanik1234 4 Points
    This year EB played very well.. Lets hope next year, they will do more good
  • Season Review

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thehardtackle.com/index.php/201011-season-review-east-bengal-just-short-of-pole-but-a-satisfying-podium-finish-nonetheless/">http://www.thehardtackle.com/index.php/ ... netheless/</a><!-- m -->

Key Highlights of The Season:
    1. Winning the Federation Cup for the 7th time in their history, defeating arch-rivals Mohun Bagan in the final.
    2. Triumph over bitter city-rivals Mohun Bagan in Mohammedan Sporting Platinum Jubilee Cup final.
    3. Clinching a record 32nd Kolkata League (CFL) title.
    4. Representing the country at the continental level by qualifying for AFC Cup.
    5. Remaining undefeated in the first half of I-League campaign – the longest streak of unbeaten run in the history of national football league.
    6. Notched-up an unprecedented 11 clean-sheets in I-League. East Bengal also conceded the least number of goals (21) in this campaign.
    7. Became the first Indian club to register 150 wins in national football league.
    8. East Bengal finished the season undefeated against their bitter city rivals Mohun Bagan.
    9. With JCT’s failure to survive the relegation battle, East Bengal remains the only club to participate in every national football league (division-I) since its inception without being relegated.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Season Review

4. Representing the country at the continental level by qualifying for AFC Cup.

This is not a high point...rather a low point....cud win any game