AFC Champions League 2016 and AFC Cup 2016

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29710 Points
    The one person who would be pleased with the result would be, I think, Srinjoy Bose. He was cribbing all throughout that even if they reach the quarters, they would not have the finances to organize the game and most of the players would be playing in the ISL. He even said that they might not play the game if such a situation arose. Granted that his arguments are right, he should not have spoke of quitting the match. Champions like MB, EB never quit. Rather, when the going gets tough for them, they get going. 
    red_devildeepakcspartaDeb_Ban
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Why would it be hard besides the players? The quarter-finals and first leg of the semi-finals are in September, the ISL does not start till October. 
  • SoccerloverSoccerlover 3434 Points
    Its hard for Bagan b'cos they dont want to sign any any player for the next season till December (after the ISL is over). Bagan doesn't have the money to sustain a side for one calendar year. They would only build a team for a period of 4 months (I-League duration)
    deepakcteji
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Fair enough, good answer
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29289 Points
    I don't understand by Dibajit is never played in AFC cup?
  • debarghya89debarghya89 7326 Points
    Debjit played earlier.. Once MB qualified for next round Arnab is playing.. 
    Though dont know why Debjit was not played in today's important match
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    Mohun Bagan will have some sort of team with them if they had reached QF. afterall they maintain a team for Calcutta Football league purposes. It is not like they will completely disband the team till next year and not 100% of their players feature in ISL.
    For Bengaluru FC, I can say that they will not have any team or coach as they hardly have any Domestic league. For them either go to ISL or sit at home.
    BFC had little incentive but Mohun Bagan should have done better.
    deepakc
  • gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points
    BFC will have players and coach...they have a release clause with all the ISL in case of AFC quarter finals...

Coach they have already lined up replacements of need be

Deb_Banmunna219777teji
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9970 Points
    Had to give it to you. MB lost, a team is not supposed to win all their matches, even Barcelona do not. But I don't think they would lose willingly, they just played shit. If we'd watched the match, Tampines also played shit, but a shade better than us, so won.

Why did it happen so. I'd say a combination of absence of main foreigners, playing a home match away from home (lack of supporters egging on), end of season nearing with ISL hovering in the horizon, payment issues, too much travel and fatigue are the main causes. Whatever the cry baby Srinjay says, AFC doles out handsome money for each match, even discounting gate sale, an AFC match is not entirely loss-making. And they do maintain a team for CFL. So they could, at least, field a side.

MB (alongwith EB) are locked into a battle with AIFF over ISL and unification. If they qualified for the next stage and did not get key players due to ISL, their argument would hold some water. Plus the bragging right of reaching the farthest in AFC Cup. All these are worth playing for.

They lost due to sporting reasons on field, not intentionally. They could not handle the high humidity like they should have. The fatigue, lack of recovery time and inadequate preparation for the long season was clearly showing.
    munna219777
  • SoccerloverSoccerlover 3434 Points
    Bagan played to lose - simple.

U cant have too many players "injured" at the same time; make no mistake - this is by far the fittest Indian Club Team - courtsey Garcia. There is absolutely no argument on this.

Imagine, if the Fed Cup final had been scheduled after the AFC Pre Quarters, do u think Bagan would have let go Sony, Katsumi, Glenn, Halder, Kotal, Debjit - NO WAY! 

Therefore all ur hypothesis doesn't hold good!

By virtue of winning the Fed Cup this year, Bagan have again qualified for AFC for the next year; and it would be a shame if they play, b'cos a 127 year old club doesn't the money to put up a team!