Australia

tejiteji 142 Points
edited May 2011 in Asian Football Forum
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item614494/Fink:-Australia-gets-swift-kick-where-it-hurts/">http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/d ... -it-hurts/</a><!-- m -->

Football in Australia stands on a precipice. It is deep in the red and living beyond its means, which is why, according to insiders I have spoken to, the FFA went to Canberra with a begging bowl to ask for assistance in staging the Asian Cup.

With the A-League struggling enough for crowds, it's going to require a hard sell to convince locals that watching Qatar vs Indonesia or Uzbekistan vs Thailand, two imagined match-ups, is going to be worth turning up for and parting with their "hard earned". Especially when games will be shown live on TV.

No wonder the FFA has gone to the Gillard government and petitioned for more money. They're likely to take a bath financially and any government contribution will help offset those losses.

Finally we might get some answers on how and why a domestic competition that was supposed to have 14 teams and a second division (at least according to Lowy's crystal ball in 2009) is instead shrinking back to 10 (one of the smallest in Asia) without any lower league and so surrendering its ambition of having four Asian Champions League places.

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Australian soccer has this problem coz they have multiple No. 1 sports. So the audience is divided. Strange that a country so ahead of us in football has its own problems
  • Thought I revive this thread sense we are now trying to copy them in a way...<div><br></div><div>Was just looking at there team and it looks bleak to be honest...</div><div><br></div><div>I have been watching Australian football highlights (mainly A-League, A-League U21, and Australia NT matches) and it looks like work needs to be done. More youth is needed.</div><div><br></div><div>Look at there stars... Tim Cahil (Everton, 32), Thomson (Melbourne Victory, 33), Joushua Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus, 29), Alex Brosque (S-Pulse, 28), Brett Holman (Aston Villa, 28), Harry Kewell (Free Agent, 33), Lucas Neil (Free Agent, 34), Luke Wilkshere (Dynamo Moscow, 30), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham, 39).</div><div><br></div><div>They are old. Of course they got some youth like Robbie Kruse (Fortuna, 23), Nikita Rukavytsya (Hertha Berlin, 25), Neil Kilkenny (Bristol City, 26), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace, 27), Michael Zullo (Utrecht, 23), Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough, 24), Mitchell Langerak (Dortmund, 23) but they need more, specially domestically.</div><div><br></div><div>They have the National Youth League and after watching it I dont see the talent and after seeing the results in the Olympic and U22 qualifiers I still dont see it. I believe Baan left with a benchmark and so far the people after him have not done more. More is needed for soccer in Australia. </div>
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    Thought I revive this thread sense we are now trying to copy them in a way...<div><br></div><div>Was just looking at there team and it looks bleak to be honest...</div><div><br></div><div>I have been watching Australian football highlights (mainly A-League, A-League U21, and Australia NT matches) and it looks like work needs to be done. More youth is needed.</div><div><br></div><div>Look at there stars... Tim Cahil (Everton, 32), Thomson (Melbourne Victory, 33), Joushua Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus, 29), Alex Brosque (S-Pulse, 28), Brett Holman (Aston Villa, 28), Harry Kewell (Free Agent, 33), Lucas Neil (Free Agent, 34), Luke Wilkshere (Dynamo Moscow, 30), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham, 39).</div><div><br></div><div>They are old. Of course they got some youth like Robbie Kruse (Fortuna, 23), Nikita Rukavytsya (Hertha Berlin, 25), Neil Kilkenny (Bristol City, 26), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace, 27), Michael Zullo (Utrecht, 23), Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough, 24), Mitchell Langerak (Dortmund, 23) but they need more, specially domestically.</div><div><br></div><div>They have the National Youth League and after watching it I dont see the talent and after seeing the results in the Olympic and U22 qualifiers I still dont see it. I believe Baan left with a benchmark and so far the people after him have not done more. More is needed for soccer in Australia. </div>

<br><br>Australia is in trouble.... very interesting ..i thght a country known for its sports culture would be doing ok.. most probably teh australians will blame rob bann for the mess<br>
  • So far from the places I have been (Football City, Big Soccer, The Roar etc) they blame the A-League owners for causing a mess with licenses and they blame the FFA for focusing more on there own Western Sydney club than grassroots or state leagues.<div><br></div><div>Also you have to think that the country is not that big. It has a huge population in the South East. All of Western Australia (exception being Perth) is desert.</div>
  • Former England striker Emile Heskey
    has joined Australian A-League side
    Newcastle Jets on a one-year deal. http://bbc.in/R3slRJ

• He will score 15 a season!

• ashindiaashindia 9254 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > He will score 15 a season!

Arsenal should have signed him to replace Van persie  :))

• > ashindia said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > He will score 15 a season!
    >
    >

Arsenal should have signed him to replace Van persie  :))

There is a difference between 15 goals in A-League and 15 goals in the Premier League.
  • Newcastle Jets have already sold out
    their first batch of Emile Heskey replica
    shirts as the hysteria surrounding the
    striker’s transfer shows no sign of
    slowing down.
    The A-League side revealed they have ordered 5,000 more Heskey No 9 strips
    to meet the incredible demand.
    HAIL HESKEY !!!