Crowd support in Indian football

123457»

Comments

• indian_goonerindian_gooner 3402 Points
    edited April 2018
    Another positive impact of ISL brought to Indian football is 'organized' fans group which no other Indian sport teams can't boast of. Even cricket.
    Most of the ISL clubs have official fans who are doing a great job in supporting their team and organizing activities. They have brought up some 'serious' kinda chants just like european teams. The fans group members are like friends to each other and they continue afterwards in personal life.The concept of travelling fans was unimaginable in India due to geographical distances.
    Over the growing years, these fans have created rivalry, banters with other groups too. Equally they support each other in time of crises such as #SaveKochiTurf.
    Now I league clubs have also improved in the fans support . East Bengal/Mohun Bagan fans supports existed since history. Even gokulam fc has organised fans group "Gkfc Battalia".
    Through these fans group, Our NT is getting more reach to more people.

Can any kirket team has this much 'organizing' fans club. I don't think so. Kirket fans used to chant "SACHIN SACHIN", "DHONI DHONI", "KOHLI KOHLI". They watch game in the stadium and are back to their lives. Puff.

Does any IPL clubs have any fans club? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Football 1 - Kirket 0  :|
    thebeautifulgamedev_pfc
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29608 Points
    https://khelnow.com/news/article/intercontinental-cup-2018-how-does-a-mumbaikar-feel-about-india-playing-in-my-city

From a Mumbaikar: How will it feel when the Blue Tigers play in my city

After an entire year without much football action, the city has decided to come together for the Intercontinental Cup.

Being an ardent football fan in a metropolitan city is an arduous task. You have to juggle between your work life, your social life and your private life in order to make time for the one club with whom you fell in love with.

Those days seemed to be over for me when Mumbai FC shut shop and its ardent fans, the Yellow Brigade were left orphaned. But, every dark cloud has a silver lining they say. No, I am not talking about the ISL franchise that has popped up and has done a decent job in its own right.

I am talking about the Mumbai Football Arena and the Mumbai District Football Association’s Chairperson, Aditya Thackrey. Under his guidance and promptness, Mumbai was able to attract the Indian national team gaffer’s attention and has held it in great esteem.

Stephen Constantine has time and again insisted that he is a 'creature of habit' and loves the 'hospitality of Mumbai.' Frankly speaking, it is true. We Mumbaikars are very hospitable and love to hold our Indian virtue of Athithi Devo Bhava close to our hearts even when the guests are our very own blood.

Mumbai FC evoked in me a love and passion for football which I never fathomed to have had and it has stuck with me through everything. Now, that we have the opportunity to see the Indian team play in our backyard, I and a thousand more Mumbaikars will let out screams and shouts of joy, along with songs to our heroes who will be on the green playing their hearts out and making the opponent bite the dust.

I know I sound like an extremist or an ultra. But, you have to take into account one thing, Mumbai doesn’t see I-league football throughout the year and if you don't count the national team’s games, we only have nine professional games of televised football being played in a city, which was once known to have produced talents like Steven Dias and former India captain Abhishek Yadav. So, with all this love for Indian football being bottled up inside us, we let it out in the stands.

This time around another bright silver lining has dawned upon us. The amalgamated Indian football fan-base that was created for the India U-17 World Cup, has organized the fans in Mumbai under the umbrella of the Blue Pilgrims. I, myself will be a part of this movement and reminiscing the love for Indian football in my heart, I will join them in their battle cries and make sure that our voices echo and reach those who play for us in Blue!

• as mentioned in i league thread regarding Hyderabad is not a city for two clubs.

ours is still century behind european nations to have an intra city rivalrly like Merseyside, Manchester, North London, Milan etc with the exception of Kolkata which itself is pre independence. and these derbsies are for a specific reason geographically or culturally.

i remember when there was possible talk of new ISL team bidding from Trivandrum in around 2017/18, a lot of manjappada facebook members said only kerala blasters is enough for kerala and how this discusssion itself has divided the fan base.  :D

but i am waiting to see 14 teams from kerala with each district having their own club. there can be a fierce rivalry between Ernakulam and Trivandrum as people living in there often make fun of each others culture, dialect, food, infrastrucure. Of late trivandrum has been getting infrastructure like IT parks expansion, Lulu mall. Trivandrum people were bragging about new Lulu mall in Trivandrum is bigger than Kochi lulu mall like my cock is bigger than yours. :p

now another thing i found is that it is difficult to create a new love for a football club based on geography area people  as  we have had many people from another parts living around and settled in around new areas. eg: in late 50s and early 60s many Christians from South Kerala migrated to Northern districts and created a settlement in eastern parts of the districts near to Karnataka border. Now consider this a situation like Celtic FC in Scotland. There can be created a possible rivalary created amongst the Hindus or Muslims already living in around town areas.  

another case of where there can be a rivalry is between various Christian denomations in Catholic community itself. Most of the Latin Catholic are living in coastal regions of Middle and south Kerala. Many Syrian catholics live in hilly areas. So if a club backed by both communities are created a sense of my community club can be  instilled.

another instance is to go politically. if a club is backed by Communist party or by a Congress party etc. However i am not fan of politics.

so, ideally for now inter city rivalry is the best approach to be followed. Instead of having 2 clubs from Hyderabad, lookout for another city and promote rivalry.

munna219777
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10445 Points
    The issue with ISL is it tries to be IPL. 

They completely miss the fact that football does not work like that. Football accross Europe, South America, Indonesia, Japan etc is more cultural than commercial. People support teams based on social class ( Manchester and Milan) religion (Rangers, Celtic etc). Its more part of there identity

FSDL really thought they could bet on a 2 month football league like IPL does and still to this date continues to follow same approach 

Clubs like Chennaiyin FC, Kerala, North East being active for 8 years dont have a single player who they trained from under 14 to senior team. They still lack major investment in youth or hardly work on community building 

I really get surprised when people who run Chennaiyin FC, North East etc cry about ticket sales dropping every year. 
    Dude you have done fuck all to build a fanbase or community around the club what did you expect
    indian_goonermunna219777
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3402 Points
    Another thing which I noticed since couple of years which start the rising the the Indian content creators in social media space. I feel very proud to see such creators who are giving knowledge of Indian football to many people who may not have much of in depth understanding.
    They are promoting the game very much and have a very good understanding also.
    Even after the Afghan v/s India WCQ match, they came up with perfect analysis. I usually randomly come about couple of Malayalee and Indian youtubers who are very good in analysis. 

Of course I can't wish that these things would have happened much earlier because it is related to technology, internet access availability, affordability. 

giridharan