Doping in I league - What a shame

sombuddha_sinhasombuddha_sinha 151 Points
edited June 2011 in I league
I-League records its first dope case

For the first time in the I-League history, a footballer has failed the dope test conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency (Nada), at the behest of the All India Football Federation (AIFF).

According to sources, the “A” sample of Nishant Mehra, a midfielder with the Mumbai FC, has tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol, an in-competition prohibited substance in the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) list.

“Nada has already sent a letter to the AIFF in this regard, and has asked the player to appear for the “B” sample test on February 10, at Delhi,” sources said. The copies of the letter have also been sent to Wada and Fifa. As per the rules, Mehra could be banned for two years if his “B” sample is also found positive.

The AIFF has recently introduced dope testing in the I-League in order to make the competition more professional, as per the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) guidelines. While random tests have already been conducted on nine teams, which started on January 22 at Pune, players of five more teams would have to undergo tests in the next couple of weeks.

Though dope scandal is rampant in India, in other sports like weightlifting, athletics and wrestling, the only instance when a footballer tested positive was in 2002, when East Bengal central defender Arun Malhotra was stopped from boarding the flight to Busan Asian Games at the last moment.

“What is more surprising is the banned substance for which the footballer has tested positive this time,” said a sports science expert with the Sports Authority of India (SAI). “It is basically a synthetic drug consumed by avid party goers. It definitely does not help in enhancing the performance.”

Source : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110209/jsp/sports/story_13556752.jsp">http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110209/j ... 556752.jsp</a><!-- m -->

Comments