I-League 2021-2022: 'Pan-Indian football' at its best

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points
    Minor Upset

Kenkre FC, winless till now, defeated Sudeva Delhi 3-0
    Deb_BanPassiCarbon_14munna219777
  • G_KG_K Kerala5182 Points
    Managed to live on for another day. Infact, they can now be relegated only on Matchday 3.
    But Kenkre's relegation is inevitable. The only reason they held on till now is because Sudeva Delhi is almost as weak as them.

It's high time Sudeva gets serious and sign good foreigners. We already lost Shillong Lajong who went with no foreigner policy.

This season, all teams other than Sudeva, Kenkre and ofcourse Indian Arrows took I-League seriously and made good signings. They are not playing I-League for the sake of it, they are showing their intent to fight for the title. It's just that GKFC was a bit too strong.
    goalkeeparCarbon_14munna219777
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    edited April 2022

Kenkre FC was trying to reach I league with local Mumbai players since many years (11 year old proof above). So calling them “not serious “ or their historical victory as minor upset (that too against another relegation contender) is too much to take. They could have folded operations like many others, but they kept trying. So please don’t demean their efforts.
    gaffertapemunna219777goalkeeparPassiG_Kgiridharanindian_gooner
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Sudeva defenders made a mockery by giving backpasses to their goalkeeper who was a nervous wreck .
    First goal was due to heavy first touch by goalkeeper.  Third goal was a comical weak header by defender but goalkeeper didn't come forward.
    Passi
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points
    edited April 2022
    There was no intention on my part to demean Kenkre FC or their efforts. When I said 'Minor upset", it was simply because of the fact that they had not won any match in the I-League whereas Sudeva Delhi had at least won two matches, one of them against Churchill Brothers. This is factually true. The word 'upset' does not imply any value judgment.

If a Leicester City wins the PL, it is called an "upset", isn't it? Other teams with much bigger budgets and more fancied players would have been considered runaway winners. But the fact that they "upset" many of these teams in spite of several constraints makes their win all the more "creditable" and does not "demean" them in any way.

When you say that Sudeva Delhi as a "relegation contender", which is of course factually true, you are yourself demeaning a club which is playing with Indian players and no foreigners, isn't it? They are also "trying", isn't it?

Cheers!!
    gaffertapemunna219777
    I was in Mumbai for some years and was following local footballing scene to some extent. I have massive respect for Kenkre and all other Mumbai clubs who have been active for a long time. Mumbai league is very stable (other than a corporate-private division few years back), but do not get enough national recognition, only Football Counter covers it nowadays. 

But once you move up to national leagues, you have to improve the squad to match the level of your opponents. Especially in a league with relegation. They joined on short notice, however they had a 2-month break in between where almost all other teams strengthened their squad.

Even if they are relegated, they'll surely be back fighting for promotion. Because they are not franchises or corporate entries, they came up on merit.
    goalkeeparthebeautifulgamegaffertapemunna219777Carbon_14Passiindian_gooner
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Gokulam Kerala has an Italian coach.
    But their game style is very much unlike Italy.
    Italian  teams are robust in defending 
    Gokulam is very attack minded.
    It will be interesting to see how they will cope up in AFC cup 
    Carbon_14sudheermylankalgoalkeeparindian_gooner
    Championship Round Matchday 1

NEROCA 0 - 2 Rajasthan United
    (Biswa Darjee, Pedro Manzi)

Gokulam Kerala 2 - 0 RoundGlass Punjab
    (Jourdaine Fletcher, Sreekuttan VS)

Sreenidi Deccan 2 - 2 Mohammedan
    (David Castaneda, Louis Ogana -- Faisal Ali, Sujit Sandhu)
    Carbon_14munna219777
    edited April 2022
    Gokulam Kerala have extended their lead at the top to 6 points. They just need 10 points from 5 matches to win the title. They can even claim it, at the earliest, after two more matches.
    Deb_BanCarbon_14thebeautifulgamemunna219777giridharanindian_gooner
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    Gokulam Kerala’s form will be pain for ATKMB in May. Especially when Gokulam will be going into competition after just finishing I league, while ATKMB will be inactive for 3-4 weeks . This time the group stage will be super interesting.
    Passimunna219777giridharanindian_gooner