I-League 2011-12 - General Discussion thread

Comments

• teji wrote:
    AIFF and IMG need to learn alot from WSH,
    -small but decent stadiums with good turf,
    -teams spread out over different indian states
    -how hard is it to show youtube highlights like WSH does?

If indian hockey NT and other international players join next season then WSH will only get better

Well hopefully with the I-League clubs fighting we will see a proper 10 team expansion league come in where the focus is on marketing and youth and thus you will see same things from WSH except the pan-India thing... that will take time.
  • tejiteji 142 Points
    without pan india presence there is no hope for I league Tv rating's improving much..
    most of the players come from few states so there's nothing for most states to cheer or feel a connection to a team. lets wait and see what happens next month
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    teji wrote:
    can we expect the same at cooperage after its upgrade?

http://www.livemint.com/2012/03/21215541/It8217s-Round-1-to-the-new.html

On 14 March, the evening of the match between Mumbai Marines and Sher-E-Punjab, the Mahindra Stadium was near full capacity, estimated to be close to 5,000 people. The previously decrepit enclosure had had a new paint job, sported a turf without holes and was bursting with young people who had strolled over from nearby colleges in Churchgate, paying Rs. 50 or Rs. 100 for a ticket in the middle of the week. The story was the same in most of the previous matches at this centre.

I saw highlights of Mumbai on youtube through the WSH youtube channel. It is amazing. I do hope that Mumbai FC see this and realize the potential of Mumbai sports and Mumbai Football.

i have to matches of mumbai indians(4-5 matches), mumbai marines(2 matches so far) and only one mahindra united match and had to say the old cooperage environment dont even come close to 1/10 th of environment it is provided in these cricket or hockey matches....
    but the most important truth is football is easily 2nd most played team sport in mumbai and if provided the same publicity and given a good roster they can in next 2-4 years could raise the ticket price from rs 50(for first year as it will need to be promoted ) to rs 500....which wont affect their fan base also will help them grow both on and off-field if they work as i have some good football talents who just prefer football as a recreational sport rather than taking it as profession
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Owing to the tense situation following the on-field death of Bangalore Mars footballer D Venkatesh, the I-League match between HAL and Pailan Arrows, initially scheduled to be held on 31st March at the Bangalore Football Stadium, has been postponed to 28th April
    <b>- AIFF/KSFA
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Admin wrote:
    Owing to the tense situation following the on-field death of Bangalore Mars footballer D Venkatesh, the I-League match between HAL and Pailan Arrows, initially scheduled to be held on 31st March at the Bangalore Football Stadium, has been postponed to 28th April
    <b>- AIFF/KSFA

Oh! Now I have to wait for a month to watch, meet and photograph the Arrows!!!
    Hope nothing comes on 28th

[-O<
  • rudra wrote:
    Admin wrote:
    <b>- AIFF/KSFA

Oh! Now I have to wait for a month to watch, meet and photograph the Arrows!!!
    Hope nothing comes on 28th

[-O<

Dont lose faith yet mate. I think this is a good thing for them. Why play during this dark week. Anyway HAL are as good as relegated. They have 5 games left, that is 15 points. They are 11 points behind 11th place Chirag Kerala. 13th place Pailan Arrows dont get relegated and HAL are 10 points behind 12th place Mumbai FC.

So if Chirag win next week and HAL loses they would be 14 points behind with 12 points to play for a thus officially relegated.

HAL could have done things right. They could have acted like they cared before today but they didnt. Hopefully Bangalore gets its own Pune FC or USFC and make it back to I-League. You guys have a great stadium and your city deserves an I-League team. Just need the right management.
  • Ok, so I went to Goa last weekend and watched both matches at Fatorda. Dempo-HAL had about 1000 people in the ground. I got to know that Goa tourism minister, who was very popular, had passed away so a lot of people went to attend his funeral so the low number. I expected more people for Sporting-CB as it wasa Goan derby in some ways. It had somewhere between 2000 to 3000 when the match started and over 3000 by the time it ended. Mostly Sporting fans.

What I liked was the fact that Goan clubs had set up shops at the stadium to sell official merchandise. Dempo doesn't sell match jersies yet but they have a fan t-shirt worth Rs 250, bought it. They also sell mugs and key chains. Churchill is the only club which sells match jersies with players' name on the back. Sporting has the best variety. They have normal jersies as well as t-shirts with player pics on them..horns, mugs etc. Bought a Sporting jersey (200) and a cd of their official theme song (50).

Goan crowds are well behaved :P...I expected some abuse as I went to Dempo game wearing a Bagan jersey..nothing.
  • And I brushed shoulders with Colm Toal (literally). Wanted to take an autograph and a pic but there was a crowd rush at that time so missed the chance :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok, so I went to Goa last weekend and watched both matches at Fatorda. Dempo-HAL had about 1000 people in the ground. I got to know that Goa tourism minister, who was very popular, had passed away so a lot of people went to attend his funeral so the low number. I expected more people for Sporting-CB as it wasa Goan derby in some ways. It had somewhere between 2000 to 3000 when the match started and over 3000 by the time it ended. Mostly Sporting fans.

What I liked was the fact that Goan clubs had set up shops at the stadium to sell official merchandise. Dempo doesn't sell match jersies yet but they have a fan t-shirt worth Rs 250, bought it. They also sell mugs and key chains. Churchill is the only club which sells match jersies with players' name on the back. Sporting has the best variety. They have normal jersies as well as t-shirts with player pics on them..horns, mugs etc. Bought a Sporting jersey (200) and a cd of their official theme song (50).

Goan crowds are well behaved :P...I expected some abuse as I went to Dempo game wearing a Bagan jersey..nothing.

how is the facility at the stadium @Somnath_Sengupta?

we don't have that much football related hooliganism in india, so feel safe.