Mumbai Football League news

2»

Comments

• reddevil87 wrote:
    ONGC is proving its worth for I-league, as per the results goes. ONLY IF they could fulfil the AFC criteria.

<br><div><br></div><div>So winning a state league cup (not even, more of a city league) and they are automatic I-League material. Same goes to HAL as well.</div>
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    arsenalfan wrote:
    reddevil87 wrote:
    ONGC is proving its worth for I-league, as per the results goes. ONLY IF they could fulfil the AFC criteria.

<br><div><br></div><div>So winning a state league cup (not even, more of a city league) and they are automatic I-League material. Same goes to HAL as well.</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>Actually this season ONGC had no competetion asit is the case normally with no presence of i-league team this time, which means the best enough opponent were kenkre and PIFA who were no match for them as we know..</div><div><br></div>
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The teams being promoted should atleast be best among on non i-league teams, that is clearly ONGC is showing by winning laurels off i-league. They deserved to be in I-league because how they are performing in lower league. I am not saying they would win the league next season, but they would (hoping) atleast give some competition in league not like losing all matches (actual performance can only be found out when they play next year). I feel in case of HAL, it is the off field issues related to professional criteria and loss of influential players like Xavier hit them hard that they could not recover from. </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Look how much ever we love professional club and hate PSU's teams, but having professional look does not ensure that the team is good enough to play at highest level of Indian football. </font></div>
  • Just cause they prove good in state league does not mean they should be allowed. I hope we all know that if we dont have all clubs filling the criteria by 2013 that I-League will not be foreign and not only would that mean a SUPER amount of wikipedia articles deleted but that would also not allow I-League in Asian competition. 
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    <p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "></p><h1 class="article-title" style="padding: 0px; margin: 8px 0px 10px -2px; font-family: arial; font-size: 23.5px; ">New season, new hopes</h1><p></p><p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">The Mumbai District Football Association (MDFA) league’s new season is set to begin on July 1, just 24 days after the previous season ended. However, this time round, the officials claim that they have made some changes so that there is a longer break for them. The season will open with the third division.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><span style="font-weight: normal; ">This year, the MDFA has incorporated some new features into its structure to ensure that matches are not rescheduled according to the convenience of a player or a team. “</span><b>Earlier we would impose a fine of Rs1,000 on the teams but nobody paid up. This year, however, if a team reschedules a match at the last minute, then we will award the team that has arrived at the venue, a forfeit</b>,” said an MDFA committee member on condition of anonymity.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><b>The relegation system will be back after a season’s gap</b><span style="font-weight: normal; ">. Unlike last year when the MDFA had decided against relegating any team, this season, the bottom-placed sides will face relegation.</span></p><p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">The main problem for the MDFA has always been the unavailability of grounds. As reported by DNA earlier, the MDFA had to hire a few grounds across the city.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><span style="font-weight: normal; ">However,</span><b> the one big feature of this year’s division matches is that all the finals would be held at the new look Cooperage grounds, provided the grounds are ready</b>. “The basic idea is to give the players an idea as to how an artificial turf feels like when they play a football game. It’ll be a novel experience for them,” added Vaz.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><b>Currently, the Cooperage ground is still undergoing renovation with the stands still being constructed. Vaz assured that it was in the final phase and the ground would be ready in three months.</b></p><p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><a href="http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_new-season-new-hopes_1708505">http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_new-season-new-hopes_1708505</a>;
    </p><p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "></p><hr>So new season of the league resumes.....and with some changes in the structure too...<p></p><p style="font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">the news like matches in cooperage, comeback of relegation after this no relegation season would make raise the interest here too i guess..</p>
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29575 Points
    http://www.freepressjournal.in/sports/champions-ongc-hogs-the-spotlight/1269511

Champions ONGC hogs the spotlight

Delfiya, Ranjeet are best strikers in MDFA league

Mumbai : Delfiya Pereira of Football Leaders Academy (FLA) and Ranjeet Pandre of Union Bank of India bagged the ‘Best Striker’ awards in the Mumbai District Football Association (MDFA) organised Women’s Football League and Elite Division Football League 2017-2018 respectively.

Both, Delfiya and Ranjeet were given an encouraging applause from the large gathering as they received their awards during a glittering MDFA Awards Night function at the Cooperage

However, Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) team hogged the spotlight as they got the biggest cheers as went on to receive the coveted ‘Elite Division’ trophy and the winners’ cheque of Rs one lakh from Chief Guests, football legend and former Indian captain Shabbir Ali and mercurial ex-Indian striker I.M. Vijayan along with MDFA President, Aaditya Thackeray.

Having finished runners-up in the previous two seasons, ONGC finally emerged champions when they defeated Air India 1-0 in the concluding and title-deciding league match to finish with 31 points, one more than the airmen. Union Bank of India received the award for finishing Third Place.

Besides, Shabbir Ali and Vijayan, the other dignitaries present on the occasion was Sunil Kapoor, Chairman & MD, Blue Sea Banquets, Souter Vaz, Hon. Secretary, WIFA, Olympians M.M. Somaya and Merwyn Fernandis, both members of the Indian team that won the hockey Gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Games, to name a few. There were also a large number of Indian stars, both men and women.

Shabbir Ali, whose forte was the ability to beat the rival defenders with his high leap and score goals with his power-packed headers, was all praise of MDFA’s efforts in organising the Awards Night.

“During my playing and coaching career I’ve played in many part of the country and after that I’ve attended my football finals and functions, but I’ve never seen such a grand awards night.

The top three teams from every division, right from U-12 to the Elite Division, were presented with awards and also players for their individual performances.

This is just the right kind of motivation required for the young players to do well,” said the former Tata’s Sports Club striker, who was a big crowd-puller and with his style of play had entertained the football enthusiasts at the Cooperage ground.

Vijayan was also excited on being present at the awards function. “It’s the first time that I have attended such am awards ceremony and I’m excited to be present at this function and watch the players receive their prizes. It brings back memories of my playing days,” said the Kerala striker at the end of the function.

Football Leaders Academy, who retained the Women’s Crown, received their Trophy from Municipal Corporator Urmila Panchal and MDFA Vice-President,

Suzzane Chowdhry. Priya Tiwari scored the lone goal as Football Leaders had defeated Football School of India 1-0 in the final.

HDFC Bank received the Super Division champions trophy, while Central Railway won the runners-up prize, while last year’s champs Air India Under-19 won the Third Place prize.

Championship Awards

Women’s (Winners): Football Leaders Academy, Runners-up: Football School of India, Third Place: FC Mumbaikar.

Super Div (Winners): HDFC, Runners-up: Central Railway, Third Place: Air India Under-19.

Elite Div (Winners): ONGC, Runners-up: Air India (AI), Third Place: Union Bank of India.

Individual Award Winners

Women (Best striker): Delfiya Pereira (FLA); Best Midfielder: Sujata Kar (Mumbaikar); Best Defender: Afreen Peerbhoy (Football School of India); Best Goalkeeper: Shreeya Yadav (Football Leaders Academy).

Super Division (Best striker): Ramesh M. (HDFC ); Best Midfielder: Somesh Nair (AI); Best Defender: Shailesh Jadhav (Bank of India); Best Goalkeeper: Sanjeev Verma (Bank of India).

Elite Division (Best striker): Ranjeet Pandre (Union Bank of India); Best Midfielder: F. Lalmuanpuia (ONGC); Best Defender: Arvind Raj (AI); Best Goalkeeper: Pravin C. (AI).

munna219777Carbon_14
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29575 Points
    https://www.asianage.com/sports/football/140719/waiting-game.html

Waiting game

As the Mumbai District Football Association is gearing up to start its Elite Division season from August 1, the city remains without an I-League club. Ever since, Mumbai FC were relegated after the 2016-17 season, and they eventually decided to shut its shop two years ago, football fans haven’t seen  I-League action in the city.

The uncertainty over the future of I-League hasn’t encouraged many city clubs to come forward despite their interest and resources. Last year, MDFA President, Aaditya Thackeray in an interaction with media had shown optimism over city having its own national club soon but with All India Football Association not able to find a solution regarding giving due coverage to I-League, it doesn’t seem to be happening too soon.

Many new clubs like U Mumba owned by U Sports who after making their mark in the world of Kabaddi were ready to invest themselves to develop Mumbai football. It was part of the Private section of the MDFA’s Elite Division last season and they did pretty well as debutantes.

U Sports founder Ronnie Screwvala had expressed interest to have an I-League team rather than an Indian Super League Franchise. Although they are expected to participate in Elite Division this season also but their plans of owning an I-League team don’t seem to materialise too soon.

“There are few clubs who are interested to own an I-League team but they are playing a waiting game to make investment,” admitted Western India Football Association (WIFA), Honorary Secretary Souter Vaz.

Interestingly, Mumbai had three I-League clubs at one point of time and Cooperage Football Ground hosted their top flight matches. But Mahindra United disbanded its I-League team while Air India and ONGC were not in compliance with Asian Football Confederation norms.

Mumbai FC came to being in 2007 and closed down after a decade. Mumbai Tigers played in I-League second division before closing down. There were so many top teams in the city but there was dearth of grounds. At one point of time when Cooperage Football ground was under renovation, city based I-League clubs played their home games in Pune and Kolhapur.

Now besides refurbished Cooperage, there are many good grounds like Mumbai Football Arena in Andheri, Neville D’Souza ground in Bandra and few more in Navi Mumbai. But there is no top-flight team left.

WIFA’s attempts to revive Rovers Cup and introduce a tournament for clubs within Maharashtra hasn’t materialised due to busy annual calendar lack of sponsors.

Mumbai has an ISL club, Mumbai City FC but the turn out in ISL matches despite star attraction of co-owner Ranbir Kapoor, has been disappointing .The 9000 capacity Mumbai Football Arena has hardly been fully occupied so far, despite hosting final last season. It has local flavour in Raynier Fernandes.

The heartening thing for Mumbai football is that local boys Fernandes, Rahul Bheke, Nikhil Poojari and Farukh Choudhary have been part of Indian national team and many are doing well for the I-League and ISL franchises.

More action

This season, Elite Division teams like Air India and ONGC will get more action in local tournaments. They will kick-off the season starting with the Nadkarni Cup 2019, which is scheduled to commence at the Cooperage ground, from August 1. The Elite Division (Corporate & Private) teams/clubs will be participating in this tournament.

After the completion of the Nadkarni Cup, the Elite Division teams will have the opportunity to participate in the annual Independence Cup 2019, which will likely to be a two-day tournament to be played on August 14 and 15.

These two events would provide the Elite Division teams/clubs the chance to prepare for the Elite Division League which is scheduled to commence by the third week of August.

munna219777Deb_Ban