Should the I-League 2 teams be decided by coefficient?

This year we have 23 teams in the I-League 2nd Division and we all know that it is messed up. Around 15 teams are from the North and by North I mean North-East. We need a more spread out league. I suggest we try to determine who joins the league by ranking all the state leagues through a coefficient like in Europe and Asia. The coefficient ranks all the European leagues and the top 3 leagues get 4 UCL teams, next 3 leagues get 3 UCL then next 3 get 2 UCL spots then the rest get 1 UCL spot. Asia does the same thing except they separate it into East Asia and West Asia. I think we should determine the teams in the I-League 2nd Division through this system but instead of East India and West India it should be North India and South India so we can get more representation from the South.

Here are the teams that would qualify as North: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal

South: Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Orissa and Tamil Nadu

Now do to the high amount of Northern states you would take all the North-Eastern states out as they are playing in the NE Premier League which shall determine which NE teams (2) go on to the I-League 2nd Division. Also remember that we are trying to make the 2nd Division an 18 team affair.

Rankings:
North: (8 teams)
1) Nagaland (2 teams), 2) West Bengal (2 teams), 3) Delhi (2 teams), 4) Punjab (1 team), 5) J & K (1 team)

South: (8 teams)
1) Goa (2 teams), 2) Maharashtra (2 teams), 3) Orissa (2 teams), 4) Kerala (2 teams)

So that is around 10 teams from North India and 8 teams from South India in the 2nd Division.

Of course this is not perfect but place your thoughts down as well.

Comments

• This would be good given there are sufficient number of clubs from all these regions. Currently except Bengal, North eastern states, Goa, Kerala and Maharashtra, there are only handful of clubs in other states. Some states like Rajasthan, Gujrat,etc. have absolutely no professional clubs or teams, so to spread the league, the best approach would be to develop regional leagues with help of franchise system (allow only local investors) and then in 2-3 years time (when they become stable enough) they then we could use the above system for 2nd division football (I mean ranking based on quality and popularity of these regional leagues). This would definitely help in spreading football.

Given the low popularity of football in many states, I would suggest merging two or more nearby states to form and regional league. Just like NE Premier league. Or something like joing Delhi, UP, Haryana, Punjab, etc into one league say Gangetic League. etc. Or something like combining JK ,Himachal, Punjab, Uttarchancal, etc into Himalayan Challenge Soccer,etc. Then follow the above division based on quality and popularity of these leagues. This would ensure, if there is any relegation of a team from division 2 or 1, they enjoy continuous football even during the relegated season.