Fomer Indian Football Legends

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
edited February 2012 in Indian Football Players
This thread is to be dedicated to news on the former legends of Indian Football. Players who have inspired Indian Football during there playing careers.
munna219777

Comments

• Sailen Manna is no more

Legendary Indian footballer Sailendra Nath Manna, commonly known as Sailen Manna, has passed away at the age of 87. The former Indian national team captain and one of the greatest Indian defenders passed away at 1.55 IST according to information coming out of Kolkata. Sailen Manna started his club football with Howrah Union, before he joined Mohun Bagan AC. Manna played for Mohun Bagan for a period of 19 years till his retirement in 1960. Manna led the Indian national team to the Gold Medal in the 1951 Asian Games, besides several other laurels including four consecutive titles at the Quandrangular Tournament between 1952 and 1956. The English FA rated Manna as one of the ten best skippers of the world in its yearbook in 1953, while the All India Football Federation (AIFF) awarded him the “Indian Footballer of the Millennium” Award in 2000.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rest in Peace.
    munna219777
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    RIP. Just read the news. I wish AIFF had used all those legends post retirements
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    AIFF Condoles Sailen Manna's death

The All India Football Federation condoles the demise of former India Captain Sailendra Nath Manna. Manna who Captained India to the inaugural Asian Games Football Gold in Delhi in 1951 passed away on Monday (February 27) morning. He was 87 and is survived by his wife and daughter.

Manna made his debut against France in the London Olympics in 1948. Four years later, he Captained India in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics. Besides being conferred the Padma Shri in 1971, he was also declared the AIFF Player of the Millennium in 2000. He stays the sole Asian to be named among the 10 best Captains in the World by the English FA in 1953. He represented India in 14 International Matches and was the first Indian footballer to Captain India in two back-to-back Asian Games.

He also Coached the Indian National Team in the 1961 and the 1968 Merdeka Cup.
    Mr. Praful Patel, the President of the All India Football Federation in his message said: “It’s sad to hear that Sailen Manna, one of the Greatest Footballers is no more. His contribution to Indian Football will never be forgotten. I share the grief.”

Mr. Kushal Das, the General Secretary of the All India Football Federation said: “Sailen Manna will be alive in his achievements. He was a legendary footballer and someone who has been the inspiration of so many generations. May he rest in Peace.”

As a mark of respect, the AIFF Flag flies at half mast at the AIFF Headquarters -- the Football House in Dwarka, New Delhi. The Indian National Football Team will also be wearing black armbands in their International Friendly against Ajerbaijan.

At the domestic level, Manna won the Calcutta Football League, the Durand Cup, the IFA Shield and the Rovers Cup with Mohun Bagan. He stays the most successful Captain for Bengal in the Santosh Trophy.

CAREER:
    SAILENDRA NATH MANNA (DOB : 01.09.1924).

International Debut: July 31 vs France (London Olympics).

International Caps: Represented India in 14 International Matches.

International Tournaments:

Olympics -- 1948, 1952 (Captain).

Asian Games -- 1951(Captain), 1954 (Captain).

Quadrangular (Colombo Cup): 1952 (Captain), 1953 (Captain), 1954 (Captain).

International Laurels:

Gold Medal (1951-Asian Games)

Champion in Quadrangular Cup -- 1952, 1953, 1954.

State-level:

Represented Bengal from 1944 to 1954 (There was no tournament in 1948).

Was Captain of Bengal from 1949 to 1954.

Won the Santosh Trophy in 1945, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1953.

Club-level:

Played for Mohun Bagan from 1942 to 1960.

Captained Mohun Bagan from 1950 to 1955.

Trophies Won:

Calcutta Football League: 1943, 1944, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960.

IFA Shield: 1947, 1954, 1956, 1960.

Durand Cup: 1953.

Rovers Cup: 1955.

AWARDS:

Padma Shri: 1971

AIFF Player-of-the-Milennium: 2000.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=3036"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=3036</a><!-- m -->
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/football/2018/may/03/indian-football-legend-carlton-chapman-relishing-new-challenge-in-his-third-home-kerala-1809706.html

Indian football legend Carlton Chapman relishing new challenge in his 'third home' Kerala 

The former India captain is currently the head coach and technical director of Kozhikode-based Kerala Premier League club Quartz FC.

Fans of Indian football remember Carlton Chapman as the backbone of Indian football orchestrating the game effortlessly from the midfield in the late 1990s. These days, though, he is busy churning out a new generation of talented footballers from Kerala. 

The former India captain is currently the head coach and technical director of Quartz FC, a Kozhikode-based football club who are off to a flying start in this season's Kerala Premier League (KPL) with their sights trained on winning promotion to I-League in the upcoming season. 

"Kerala is like my third home -- after my hometown Bengaluru and my second home Kolkata," said Chapman who had spent the 1997-98 season alongside fellow greats like IM Vijayan, Jo Paul Ancheri and Raman Vijayan at FC Kochin -- considered the first professional club of India. 

Chapman has guided Quartz to four wins out of four in the home-and-away league. "Gokulam Kerala FC had many I-League players and their new foreign coach Fernando Valera in the dugout. SBI Kerala, meanwhile, had a few players from the Santosh Trophy-winning Kerala side," said the 46-year-old. 

After bidding farewell to his playing career, Chapman took baby steps in the coaching field with a six-year stint at the Jamshedpur-based Tata Football Academy, his alma mater, starting 2002. And he for one knows the importance of youth development. 

"You can find plenty of talented youngsters in the country. But you need to trust them and give them a chance to prove their mettle. That is what I am doing with players like Paramesh, Mohammed Akbar and Favaz here. They will one day become the future of Indian football," he said. 

"Compared to the 1990s, football has become more popular in Kerala and other states -- thanks to the Indian Super League and clubs like Kerala Blasters. Also, the state leagues and other competitions are being held regularly which wasn't the case before. We have more clubs meaning players get more opportunities to develop their skills," the former East Bengal player said. 

"There are also a lot of very good school and college sides in Kerala now proving that the participation in the game has increased at the grassroots level," he said. At the same time, Chapman is concerned that ISL clubs like Blasters are not giving enough breaks for youngsters. 

"FC Kochin had promising local players like K Anson and AS Firoz playing alongside the who's who of Indian football. But at Blasters, you only see already established stars like Rino Anto and CK Vineeth getting regular chances. I would say they are wasting away the talent of many young local footballers. This definitely has to change," said Chapman. 

munna219777Carbon_14
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9950 Points
    Forgot this thread (and the legends, too).
    munna219777sparta
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29574 Points
    edited January 2019
  • RonnyRonny 10440 Points
    I loved watching Bruno play. For me he was an even better player than Jo Paul Ancheri.. Another notable player of the modern generation is Carlton Chapman
    Deb_BanEastBengalPridegoalkeepargiridharan